Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

EV Styling - Hot or Not?

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  GoCharged 
#1 ·
In light of the most recent Top Gear episode, there's been lots of discussion about whether designers have gotten EV styling right. There's a large movement of making EVs look futuristic, modern and pretty unique, but lots of people are saying they're ugly and undesirable.
What do you guys think?
Should EVs have their own, unique styling? Or should they follow design trends of conventional cars that we are all so familiar with?

#11 ·
I think they should all look sleek end stunning.

Making them too quirky is definitely a barrier to entry for a lot of people, I have a 40 leaf, but I wouldn’t have dreamt of buying the MK1 even if the battery had been big enough.

Far too froggy and boggly eyed, awful looking thing.

#14 ·
Aerodynamic equals a soap bar shape.
Hence all those f1 cars looking like lozenges?

Sorry, I don't think you've got that right - the clue is in the word - its the dynamics of air movement - getting air out of the way with minimal turbulance.

Optimum aerodynamics for something carrying people is a wedge, with tuning of the rear end to optimise airflow.

Anyway its academic - only the petrolhead equivalent care about speed - grown ups care about comfort and practicality?

#15 ·
Hence all those f1 cars looking like lozenges?

Sorry, I don't think you've got that right - the clue is in the word - its the dynamics of air movement - getting air out of the way with minimal turbulance.

Optimum aerodynamics for something carrying people is a wedge, with tuning of the rear end to optimise airflow.

Anyway its academic - only the petrolhead equivalent care about speed - grown ups care about comfort and practicality?
Lots of grown ups care about range and that's heavily effected by minimum drag.

High speed aerodynamics for cars is about stability and down force more than minimum drag.

#21 ·
F1 cars aren’t going for efficiency
really? And there's me thinking it was a balance between efficiency, drag reduction and yes downforce. Or are you saying that drag is irrelevant?

Once you move away from a teardrop (Rumpler tropfenwagen) and add in all the 'other' constraints for people transport you end up with wedges cf taycan, lucid air, m3 with rear ends tuned to minimise drag.

#22 ·
Absolutely. It's a balance. And a different balance for each circuit too.

It was very well demonstrated by the difference in appearance of the IDR after they had modified it for the Nurbergring compared to the setup for the Pike Peak attempt. A bit more subtle for the different GP circuits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.