Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
You will need
I don't get it...12p Vs 6.9p

What's there to choose?

If you have no other considerations but the EV charging... There is no contest.
The problem is that most people do have other considerations as they will have day time use every day, but may only be charging the car once a week...

The question can only be answered when you know the full details of EV charging frequency and amount along with use during the peak period...

Factors like solar and a home battery also make a difference.

For example, we have a Tesla Powerwall 2 and so we use 100% of our electricity at the low rate, the peak rate is irrelevant for us so the low rate is the only consideration, but that isn't the same for everyone.

· Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
Thanks Mark for giving some clarity. I don't have solar or home battery.
With regards to the EV charging frequency, I'm yet to receive my first EV car(Niro EV4) within the next week. My weekly mileage is around 220miles.
So that will probably be twice a week, and around 60kW in total allowing for losses.

The remaining piece of the puzzle is how much will you typically use (kWh) for the rest of the house in the peak periods for each of those tariffs?

· Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
With EDF for remaining 17 hours of peak rate/day I would say around 40-45kW per week as I could use the electricity for using washing machine, shower,etc between 6am and 8am.
However, with British gas it may go up as its only 5 hours of off peak and it is only till 5am.
That would suggest that EDF is the better choice for you as long as you do make the effort to use that 6-8am period as you have mentioned...

· Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
Looking at it, it doesn't seem to be that rate - now I remember why I don't delve into the bottomless pit of energy tariffs.
I didn't think that EDF were taking new customers onto their EV tariffs at the moment?

Also on there standard variable tariff they have some great E7 rates, but the best prices require you to be on a PAYG smart meter.

No problem with the smart meter obviously, but PAYG could be a little irritating.

Also have to check the hours for your region with E7 as they are not all the same, and not always the same when we shift to BST...

· Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts

· Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
EDF ECO20:20 tariff has the benefit of 98hrs per week of off-peak hours meaning that for our house, despite low EV mileage, we’re able to get 75% of our consumption in the offpeak period with very little effort
It is a great tariff, but I don't think it is available to new customers though is it?

· Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
I thought all variable default tariffs had to be available to new customers?
No, only the Standard Variable Tariff as per the link I posted earlier.

A supplier is able to set other tariffs that are only open to existing customers, what they are not permitted to do is to create tariffs that are only open to new customers...

· Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
I'm not suggesting it isn't a variable rate tariff and as such it is protected by the Government guarantees, I just don't know that it is available to new customers as it only listed on the Complex Metering list and requires a specific meter type (not just a smart meter as it predates these by many years).

EDF have made the 20:20 and the E5 tariffs available to existing EV tariff customers for their follow on tariff after the fix expires, but that doesn't mean a new customer without a 20:20 meter can elect to go onto it...

· Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
Based on my experience, ECO20:20 can operate with a standard smart meter but the meter does need to be remotely configured to the ‘complex’ meter type compatible with the EDF dual rate tariffs. The remote configuration of my meter took EDF 3 or 4 days. I assume the same would have to happen if EDF took a new (smart meter) customer onto the Economy7 tariff listed in the table that the link takes you to.
Again though, no argument with what is possible if EDF want to make Eco20:20 available to a new smart meter customer, it just isn't clear from what they have published that 20:20 is actually currently available to a new customer who does not have an old 20:20 meter (unlikely as I think it was only EDF installing them from back in 2009).
Just something for a new potential customer to ask them rather than assume it is an option...

· Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
I have a Hypervolt 2.0 charger for the car that is not connected to the main consumer unit but has its own fuse box. This allows for independent car charging for 5 hours each night if we desire that will not interact with the Tesla Powerwall2 and gateway functions.
Just an observation, but separating the charger from the main consumer unit isn't vital as the Powerwall will not try to supply the charger if you are using time-based controls .

We have our Zappi behind the Powerwall so it can provide small amounts of charge when using the Zappi to route excess solar to the car and the solar drops briefly due to clouds...

Both car and Powerwall recharge at night together without any problems.

· Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
You can’t get Go Faster tariff now AFAIK! Go Faster has been removed. It is not now available for switching to since the government support kicked in. Did you really just switch to it as you said? If you switched to it before the government price guarantee came in, then it will run to the end of your go faster tariff contract year.

Only Go or Intelligent or flexible SVT are the available Octopus offerings now.
Go is no longer fixed for a year. It is now classed as a variable rate tariff (so as to qualify for the governments price guarantee support until April 2023).
Where does it say you can switch to Go without an EV? Whilst there may be some folks doing this, AFAIK it is still intended specifically as an EV tariff. Peter
All correct, an EV is a requirement and you'll find Octopus more aggressively checking on that point these days. and 'Go faster' has certainly gone, that trial has ended so no new customers now....

Also I wouldn't be too confident of 'Go' still being an option for a lot longer, 'Intelligent' has recently added several new brands to their direct support list (Kia, Audi, BMW) and there are signs that we are probably in the last year of availability for 'Go'...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts