21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
EDF ECO20:20 tariff has the benefit of 98hrs per week of off-peak hours meaning that for our house, despite low EV mileage, we’re able to get 75% of our consumption in the offpeak period with very little effort

·
Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
EDF ECO20:20 tariff has the benefit of 98hrs per week of off-peak hours meaning that for our house, despite low EV mileage, we’re able to get 75% of our consumption in the offpeak period with very little effort
It is a great tariff, but I don't think it is available to new customers though is it?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I thought all variable default tariffs had to be available to new customers? ECO20:20 falls in this category to my knowledge as I believe it is the variable tarrif that you default to once the EDF GoElectric98 fixed tariff ends. It’s unlikely to be advertised but perhaps it is available on request if speaking to EDF customer service by phone? I’ve not heard of ayone requesting it by name and being turned down.

·
Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
I thought all variable default tariffs had to be available to new customers?
No, only the Standard Variable Tariff as per the link I posted earlier.

A supplier is able to set other tariffs that are only open to existing customers, what they are not permitted to do is to create tariffs that are only open to new customers...

·
Registered
276 Posts
To my knowledge ECO20:20 is a (dual rate) standard variable tariff as is Economy7 and Economy10. Under the current Electricity Protection Guarantee all these EDF tariffs have the same peak and off-pesk unit rates, ie those rates listed under Economy7 in the table which you shared the link to.

·
Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
I'm not suggesting it isn't a variable rate tariff and as such it is protected by the Government guarantees, I just don't know that it is available to new customers as it only listed on the Complex Metering list and requires a specific meter type (not just a smart meter as it predates these by many years).

EDF have made the 20:20 and the E5 tariffs available to existing EV tariff customers for their follow on tariff after the fix expires, but that doesn't mean a new customer without a 20:20 meter can elect to go onto it...

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz EQB 300 4MATIC AMG LINE PREMIUM
18 Posts
I'd ask why you're not looking at Octopus for either their Go or Intelligent tariffs which are specifically designed for EVs and other low-carbon technology.
I
haven't read all the replies to this thread, so apologies if I am repeating something already stated: We use Octopus Go, and one of the advantages is it's not explicitly limited to overnight EV charging. We tend to also run dishwasher/washing machine between 12.30 - 04.30 as well.
Agreed. I have just moved from Octopus Go to Octopus Go Faster with a 5-hour time slot at 8.25p versus a 4-hour time slot at 7.5p for the normal Go. The wording on Octopus has changed recently and some people are getting the normal Go rate (4 hours from 00:30 to 04:30) without having an EV or BEV. You can have Go Faster (5-hour slots) if you have an EV or BEV. We start our cheap time slot at 22:30 hence giving us more flexibility. Note. This will not work for everyone. It all depends on usage.
We also have a Tesla Powerwall2 that we charge to 100% in this time slot, along with using a washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher, and immersion heater. I have a Hypervolt 2.0 charger for the car that is not connected to the main consumer unit but has its own fuse box. This allows for independent car charging for 5 hours each night if we desire that will not interact with the Tesla Powerwall2 and gateway functions. I also have PV panels (fitted in 2010) and accordingly get the maximum FIT tariff.
Octopus has been a godsend to us since moving across over a year ago. In fact, we do NOT use normal standard rate electricity at 39.5p a unit. Everything is run at a cheap rate of electricity.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm not suggesting it isn't a variable rate tariff and as such it is protected by the Government guarantees, I just don't know that it is available to new customers as it only listed on the Complex Metering list and requires a specific meter type (not just a smart meter as it predates these by many years).

EDF have made the 20:20 and the E5 tariffs available to existing EV tariff customers for their follow on tariff after the fix expires, but that doesn't mean a new customer without a 20:20 meter can elect to go onto it...
Based on my experience, ECO20:20 can operate with a standard smart meter but the meter does need to be remotely configured to the ‘complex’ meter type compatible with the EDF dual rate tariffs. The remote configuration of my meter took EDF 3 or 4 days. I assume the same would have to happen if EDF took a new (smart meter) customer onto the Economy7 tariff listed in the table that the link takes you to.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I

Agreed. I have just moved from Octopus Go to Octopus Go Faster with a 5-hour time slot at 8.25p versus a 4-hour time slot at 7.5p for the normal Go. The wording on Octopus has changed recently and some people are getting the normal Go rate (4 hours from 00:30 to 04:30) without having an EV or BEV. You can have Go Faster (5-hour slots) if you have an EV or BEV. We start our cheap time slot at 22:30 hence giving us more flexibility. Note. This will not work for everyone. It all depends on usage.
We also have a Tesla Powerwall2 that we charge to 100% in this time slot, along with using a washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher, and immersion heater. I have a Hypervolt 2.0 charger for the car that is not connected to the main consumer unit but has its own fuse box. This allows for independent car charging for 5 hours each night if we desire that will not interact with the Tesla Powerwall2 and gateway functions. I also have PV panels (fitted in 2010) and accordingly get the maximum FIT tariff.
Octopus has been a godsend to us since moving across over a year ago. In fact, we do NOT use normal standard rate electricity at 39.5p a unit. Everything is run at a cheap rate of electricity.
Im envious of your set-up and ability to take 100% of consumption at the low off-peak rate. I assume that the upfront investment was relatively significant for the Powerwall? Although I assume the 2010 solar install will have already paid for itself based on the high FiT payments? Do you have elec heating?

·
Registered
NiroEV “4”
2,426 Posts
This is my 1st “Go” bill for a complete month since installing a modest solar array and 10.5kwh batteries on 16th October.
Add 120 kw off the roof also used.
152kwh gone into the car

We heat with Gas Combi…….thats next on the hit list👍
Purple Font Screenshot Rectangle Software

·
Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
Based on my experience, ECO20:20 can operate with a standard smart meter but the meter does need to be remotely configured to the ‘complex’ meter type compatible with the EDF dual rate tariffs. The remote configuration of my meter took EDF 3 or 4 days. I assume the same would have to happen if EDF took a new (smart meter) customer onto the Economy7 tariff listed in the table that the link takes you to.
Again though, no argument with what is possible if EDF want to make Eco20:20 available to a new smart meter customer, it just isn't clear from what they have published that 20:20 is actually currently available to a new customer who does not have an old 20:20 meter (unlikely as I think it was only EDF installing them from back in 2009).
Just something for a new potential customer to ask them rather than assume it is an option...

·
Registered
16 Posts
We also have a Tesla Powerwall2 that we charge to 100% in this time slot, along with using a washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher, and immersion heater. I have a Hypervolt 2.0 charger for the car that is not connected to the main consumer unit but has its own fuse box.
Also envious of your setup. So what is your peak demand over night? I hope you are on at least a 100A servoce fuse!

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,780 Posts
……I have just moved from Octopus Go to Octopus Go Faster with a 5-hour time slot at 8.25p versus a 4-hour time slot at 7.5p for the normal Go. The wording on Octopus has changed recently and some people are getting the normal Go rate (4 hours from 00:30 to 04:30) without having an EV or BEV. You can have Go Faster (5-hour slots) if you have an EV or BEV. We start our cheap time slot at 22:30 hence giving us more flexibility. Note. This will not work for everyone. It all depends on usage……
You can’t get Go Faster tariff now AFAIK! Go Faster has been removed. It is not now available for switching to since the government support kicked in. Did you really just switch to it as you said? If you switched to it before the government price guarantee came in, then it will run to the end of your go faster tariff contract year.

Only Go or Intelligent or flexible SVT are the available Octopus offerings now.
Go is no longer fixed for a year. It is now classed as a variable rate tariff (so as to qualify for the governments price guarantee support until April 2023).
Where does it say you can switch to Go without an EV? Whilst there may be some folks doing this, AFAIK it is still intended specifically as an EV tariff. Peter

·
Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
I have a Hypervolt 2.0 charger for the car that is not connected to the main consumer unit but has its own fuse box. This allows for independent car charging for 5 hours each night if we desire that will not interact with the Tesla Powerwall2 and gateway functions.
Just an observation, but separating the charger from the main consumer unit isn't vital as the Powerwall will not try to supply the charger if you are using time-based controls .

We have our Zappi behind the Powerwall so it can provide small amounts of charge when using the Zappi to route excess solar to the car and the solar drops briefly due to clouds...

Both car and Powerwall recharge at night together without any problems.

·
Registered
Niro EV '4' 2022+
1,245 Posts
You can’t get Go Faster tariff now AFAIK! Go Faster has been removed. It is not now available for switching to since the government support kicked in. Did you really just switch to it as you said? If you switched to it before the government price guarantee came in, then it will run to the end of your go faster tariff contract year.

Only Go or Intelligent or flexible SVT are the available Octopus offerings now.
Go is no longer fixed for a year. It is now classed as a variable rate tariff (so as to qualify for the governments price guarantee support until April 2023).
Where does it say you can switch to Go without an EV? Whilst there may be some folks doing this, AFAIK it is still intended specifically as an EV tariff. Peter
All correct, an EV is a requirement and you'll find Octopus more aggressively checking on that point these days. and 'Go faster' has certainly gone, that trial has ended so no new customers now....

Also I wouldn't be too confident of 'Go' still being an option for a lot longer, 'Intelligent' has recently added several new brands to their direct support list (Kia, Audi, BMW) and there are signs that we are probably in the last year of availability for 'Go'...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im envious of your set-up and ability to take 100% of consumption at the low off-peak rate. I assume that the upfront investment was relatively significant for the Powerwall? Although I assume the 2010 solar install will have already paid for itself based on the high FiT payments? Do you have elec heating?
No I have Gas :)mad:. I cannot avoid this because it is a large 4-bed house that was well insulated by the private builder when he built it in 1993. I bought it as it was being finished off. The boiler failed some years ago in 2009 outside the warranty, so I fitted a Worcester bosch boiler along with 2 solar water heating panels and a solar pump station, and a large hot water tank that fills the airing cupboard. This provides us with hot water for 5 months of the year with a top-up for the other 7 months with the immersion.
My powerwall2 and gateway cost was £8995.00 fully fitted. Having said that the energy savings costs under the current conditions are very high. Hard to quantify because I have nothing to compare with. I get around £1400.00 FiT per annum and as the PV panels were paid for some years ago, I consider (man maths) this goes towards the cost of the Powerwall2.
I do quite a bit of power management, so if it looks like I am going to have a lot of power left in the battery, I start using it before the Go Faster rate kicks in.
My overnight usage for about 2 hours, but is quite variable on average I see around 8 kWh for some time. It then drops back to virtually zero as everything finishes.
We use an Air frier for much of our cooking now and a Miele steamer (expensive at the time) for vegetables and of course the obligatory microwave.
Yes, we have a 100A Service fuse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just an observation, but separating the charger from the main consumer unit isn't vital as the Powerwall will not try to supply the charger if you are using time-based controls .

We have our Zappi behind the Powerwall so it can provide small amounts of charge when using the Zappi to route excess solar to the car and the solar drops briefly due to clouds...

Both car and Powerwall recharge at night together without any problems.
Yes. Fully understand that. We looked at our usage and being an EX aircraft engineer with a fair amount of knowledge decided ours was the best route. Horses for courses is the best description.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts