Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

First of all a massive thanks to the existence of this forum, Im taking my first steps into the world of EV/PHEV Ive got a BMW 330e (Which I know some think are evil!) but its a start and for my usage it makes sense as I can get to work and back on a charge (Ive tested one for two weeks).

So Ive ordered a un-tethered 32a Rolec to be installed so I have the ability to upgrade after the 330e and have also bought a 8m Coiled Type 2 Cable (Dont worry I wont be using public charge points often/ever as I dont think its worth it, Unless im going to be in a park ride/scenario where car will be left for hours and theres multiple charge points) And im looking into EV tariffs that suit overnight charging.

Im currently with British Gas who Ive spoken with and they dont offer a tariff, so how does?
For what its worth I have a Smart Meter

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank being said I was in York (Askram Bryan) Park and Ride which is great as it has many charge points (none in use) and this scenario (Depending on rates) would have been one I would have possibly charged at

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Ecotricity offer an EV tarrif that has a 5% discount over their normal rates and also 52 free rapid charges (not that you will be able to use the latter with your car).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can the 330e be programmed to start charging at a specific time (like the i3)? If so, just use a comparison site to find the cheapest Economy 7 tariff and sign up for that (go for a green one if you so wish). Moneysavingexpert.com have an awesome, easy to use tool for this - Cheap Energy Club - Compare Gas & Electric and Save

I've just signed up to Octopus Energy as they seem to be cheap but also have a renewable tariff. Be aware that I switched away from British Gas and the smart meter loses it's "smart" function when you move due to the stupid companies not settling on a standard until recently.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It may not necessarily be cheaper for you to go onto Economy 7.
The 330e has a 7.6kWh battery so it were charging from zero to 100% you would use 8 units (allowing for losses).

My energy supplier OVO does Economy 7 night units at I think 7p, but at the same time day unit prices increase from 10.5p to 14p.

So using OVO as an example charging your car with E7 would cost 56p compared to 84p, but all the day time usage would increase by 33%. How much that comes to depends on your usage, but it is quite likely going to be more than 28p

·
Registered
999 Posts
It may not necessarily be cheaper for you to go onto Economy 7.
The 330e has a 7.6kWh battery so it were charging from zero to 100% you would use 8 units (allowing for losses).

My energy supplier OVO does Economy 7 night units at I think 7p, but at the same time day unit prices increase from 10.5p to 14p.

So using OVO as an example charging your car with E7 would cost 56p compared to 84p, but all the day time usage would increase by 33%. How much that comes to depends on your usage, but it is quite likely going to be more than 28p
It is a good example, but there are lots of things to consider. For example, 10.5p/unit is a very low rate, chances are that the normal rate will be higher. You have to factor in if you have gas as well. Because if there isn't, then probably heating the house on the E7 might be a very good option. The OP has to do a very good calculation of their own circumstances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, i just changed to Iresa at 9.98p per unit flat rate, economy 7 didnt make sense. That deal doesnt seem to be avaiable now, think I timed it just right. Be very careful about changing to economy 7, day units appear to be very expensive.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hi, i just changed to Iresa at 9.98p per unit flat rate, economy 7 didnt make sense. That deal doesnt seem to be avaiable now, think I timed it just right. Be very careful about changing to economy 7, day units appear to be very expensive.
I would suggest that you check again, I just had a look at their website, got a very attractive quote, and then read the small print: "Unit rate and standing charge do not include VAT".

So, if it is the same for your tariff, it is more like 12p/kwh.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I would suggest that you check again, I just had a look at their website, got a very attractive quote, and then read the small print: "Unit rate and standing charge do not include VAT".

So, if it is the same for your tariff, it is more like 12p/kwh.
Err no. My transfer to IRESA went through last week. I am paying 10.2p/kWh including VAT. Remember domestic energy VAT is only 5%. Prices do vary with post code.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the details all, Just doing some lookign around now. Iresa seem to be coming out very cheap.
@Lexden are you paying a staying fee or a flat fee per unit of 10.2p?

Im seeing -
  • Unit Rate: 10.209 p/kWh
  • Standing Charge: 13.430p/day

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can the 330e be programmed to start charging at a specific time (like the i3)? If so, just use a comparison site to find the cheapest Economy 7 tariff and sign up for that (go for a green one if you so wish). Moneysavingexpert.com have an awesome, easy to use tool for this - Cheap Energy Club - Compare Gas & Electric and Save

I've just signed up to Octopus Energy as they seem to be cheap but also have a renewable tariff. Be aware that I switched away from British Gas and the smart meter loses it's "smart" function when you move due to the stupid companies not settling on a standard until recently.
Octopus certainly seem to be coming out more competitively from the "green sources" Id like to do my bit and with their tariff I would be saving compared to currently British Gas, The greatest in terms of saving is Iresa

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fairly certain I'll go with Octopus so if there's any discount voucher or referral codes let me know

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,

i was hoping to get some advice, i'm really raking up the miles in my EV, (new home/new job) i'm currently using at least 400-500kwh per month extra than normal home electricity usage. With that in mind i am considering getting an economy 7 meter put in free of charge. I've gone through all the permutations but i feel like i'm missing something, can anyone advice i have the BMW i3 33kw battery charging overnight at least 3 times per week. i estimate saving £40-£50 p/month on economy 7.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the details all, Just doing some lookign around now. Iresa seem to be coming out very cheap.
@Lexden are you paying a staying fee or a flat fee per unit of 10.2p?

Im seeing -
  • Unit Rate: 10.209 p/kWh
  • Standing Charge: 13.430p/day
The quotes vary from postcode to postcode.
For Bristol on IRESA energy supplier I am getting for Gas
Unit rate (per kwh); Std charge
2.544 p ; 17.110p
Elec
Day rate (per kwh); Std charge (per day)
11.336 p; 18.630p

The above doesn't include VAT.
SO I may switch to this when comparing other quotes from Good energy, Bulb etc...
will do a detailed analysis as this might help to fulfill my energy requirements.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts