Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Ex MY20 4 - MY21 4+ Due January
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chester, Portsmouth, Santander, Benigembla (Alicante) & return.
Spain general observations -
1. Chargers are tucked away in commercial areas of local towns and can be hard to find when switching from map to eyeball! No main route services chargers, even major routes such as AP7 around Valencia. A tiny back street Repsol station may have a charger but the big shiny Repsol forecourt along major roads will not!
2. Max charger output we found was 50kW. (Tesla not included)
Outbound:
To arrive Santander with a full charge we planned to overnight on Portsmouth Morrisons charger before our 7.30 check in but then decided to splash out on local Marriot Hotel with 2 chargers.
Unfortunately both were occupied, one by a hybrid and a totally unsympathetic receptionist refused to notify the owner at 10pm that someone needed to charge. They were still there next morning...
Faced with starting our Spanish drive with a long charge in Santander we asked at Brittany Ferries about charging... After a lengthy telephone call check in agent apologised and advised ‘We don’t provide that service’
Spotted what looked like power outlets along hull on car deck so ignored crew directions and stuck to the lane along the hull. Once stopped asked the crew member about electricity and charging and after checking out the outlets with me and establishing my continental 2 pin adapter was not going to get my UK plug into the round 3 pin socket he disappeared and reappeared a few minutes later with an adapter! All plugged in and “100% in 28 hours” 😎 Almost hugged him!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Floor Flooring
Hand Automotive tire Finger Thumb Beer

Must add that the ship was the newly commissioned Galicia so may not be the same on other routes.
We arrived Santander with 100%!
To be continued...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For our return I bought thr bits and made my own...

·
Registered
865 Posts
1. Chargers are tucked away in commercial areas of local towns and can be hard to find when switching from map to eyeball! No main route services chargers, even major routes such as AP7 around Valencia. A tiny back street Repsol station may have a charger but the big shiny Repsol forecourt along major roads will not!
Outbound:
To arrive Santander with a full charge we planned to overnight on Portsmouth Morrisons charger before our 7.30 check in but then decided to splash out on local Marriot Hotel with 2 chargers.
Unfortunately both were occupied, one by a hybrid and a totally unsympathetic receptionist refused to notify the owner at 10pm that someone needed to charge. They were still there next morning...
Faced with starting our Spanish drive with a long charge in Santander we asked at Brittany Ferries about charging... After a lengthy telephone call check in agent apologised and advised ‘We don’t provide that service’
Spotted what looked like power outlets along hull on car deck so ignored crew directions and stuck to the lane along the hull. Once stopped asked the crew member about electricity and charging and after checking out the outlets with me and establishing my continental 2 pin adapter was not going to get my UK plug into the round 3 pin socket he disappeared and reappeared a few minutes later with an adapter! All plugged in and “100% in 28 hours” 😎 Almost hugged him!

View attachment 144461 View attachment 144462
Must add that the ship was the newly commissioned Galicia so may not be the same on other routes.
To be continued...
Good news, but I am astonished that you were allowed / encouraged to use that hotch-potch of adaptors. It was, of course, fine...but given fire regs on ships I suspect the crew member was well outside any process in helping you.

Reactions: Empee and cah197

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,596 Posts
Good news, but I am astonished that you were allowed / encouraged to use that hotch-potch of adaptors. It was, of course, fine...but given fire regs on ships I suspect the crew member was well outside any process in helping you.
Yeah, it will only take one melted socket for the whole thing to be banned for everyone.

But maybe they should install dedicated chargers. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree re 2 pin adapter but no option to purchase a UK 3pin socket during our week in Spain.
Haven’t worked it out but as I recall we boarded for the return with about 30% and when connected got the message 30hrs to 100%. What does about 40kW over 30hrs work out to?
Didn’t spot it initially but the outlets actually have car logo’s marked on them..
The trucks ahead of us are connected via those black extension leads to an entirely different distribution box...
This image was on our return. Concerned when arriving on the car deck to find trucks parked all the way down the hull side... Stopped and called the attendant over and he kindly stopped the car behind and guided us in behind the rearmost truck.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would appear that this ship, (and 2 more arriving soon?) are equipped to charge EV’s but management onshore as yet remain unaware...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can buy a UK version of that for not much money. I wouldn’t trust that plug adaptor charging overnight.
Used the 2 pin adapter into a domestic socket most nights during our week in Spain without problem - it was never hot to the touch, same on the ship...
Can’t remember my volts to amps to kW conversions but suspect it’s less than a 2kW kettle..

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,596 Posts
Used the 2 pin adapter into a domestic socket most nights during our week in Spain without problem - it was never hot to the touch, same on the ship...
Can’t remember my volts to amps to kW conversions but suspect it’s less than a 2kW kettle..
Well, 10 amps at 230 volts would be around 2.3 kW. Continuous. Which is the big difference to a kettle.

I’ve melted shucko sockets plugging in an EVSE.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
Well, 10 amps at 230 volts would be around 2.3 kW. Continuous. Which is the big difference to a kettle.

I’ve melted shucko sockets plugging in an EVSE.
🤣 My dad has lived in Torrevieja for the last 20 years, I have spent quite a lot of time in Spain, most domestic electrics there are like wet bits of string.

You could argue that the uk has massive over engineered its wiring, Spain is all radials on singles pulled through bits of flexible conduit.

I can imagine you need to install a dedicated supply to even contemplate charging an EV safely there.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,596 Posts
I can imagine you need to install a dedicated supply to even contemplate charging an EV safely there.
Yeah, which is why I gave our electricians strict instructions to run a single dedicated cable from the charger to the consumer unit.

Good point that it’s running in a conduit with lots of other stuff. But them’s the breaks.

So far I haven’t really used our home charger as the public infrastructure is so good.

But the consumer unit is limited to 40 amps and I turned the charger down to 12 amps so I can make use of the solar power. So minimal risk.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
🤣 My dad has lived in Torrevieja for the last 20 years, I have spent quite a lot of time in Spain, most domestic electrics there are like wet bits of string.

You could argue that the uk has massive over engineered its wiring, Spain is all radials on singles pulled through bits of flexible conduit.

Can only speak from experience - never dropped below around 85% during our week and brought back to 100% overnight via one or the 220v outlets in our garage...
Would certainly switch the 2pin socket for a UK rubber armoured 3pin before returning to the ferry but happy to continue with same arrangement at the house...
Good to know at least that EV charging (all be it slow) is perhaps becoming available on ferries.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,596 Posts
Would certainly switch the 2pin socket for a UK rubber armoured 3pin before returning to the ferry but happy to continue with same arrangement at the house...
If you’re going to do that, just fit a dedicated 16 amp commando socket. Then you should be good.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
806 Posts
True that older Spanish homes have dreadful wiring. My former home (built in '95) had a total of 4 circuits for the entire, 3 story rather biggish house. But the house I bought a couple of weeks ago (built about 10 years ago) is a lot better equipped. Separate circuits for washing machine, dishwasher, oven, ceiling lights etc. I am waiting for the charger to be installed so have used the granny a couple of times without the socket and plug so much as getting lukewarm.

Just saying, EU rules and regulations have found their ways to the spanish construction companies as well. Once they get the rest right they might just build with a decent quality :)

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
Yeah, which is why I gave our electricians strict instructions to run a single dedicated cable from the charger to the consumer unit.

Good point that it’s running in a conduit with lots of other stuff. But them’s the breaks.

So far I haven’t really used our home charger as the public infrastructure is so good.

But the consumer unit is limited to 40 amps and I turned the charger down to 12 amps so I can make use of the solar power. So minimal risk.
Wow 40 amps!

I’m sure I saw a post that said you needed to fit a pool heater, I’m guessing you have your eye on an air source heat pump? do you need to have a new mains incomer to achieve this?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,596 Posts
Wow 40 amps!

I’m sure I saw a post that said you needed to fit a pool heater, I’m guessing you have your eye on an air source heat pump? do you need to have a new mains incomer to achieve this?
40 amps is good here. Last place (a town house) was 30 amps for the whole house. I had the charger running at 20 amps, so if we turned everything on we had a problem.

I was going to install a heat pump to heat the pool, but to be honest the kids were swimming this last weekend without complaint. So I think we’ll be fine.

Solar PV is awesome here. Just hit over 50 kWh of production today.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That looks terrifying, those plug in adapters are only rated at about 10 Amps max... I would have quite serious reservations about using that.
I’m confused by some of the comments here - this is the Kia domestic charger that is designed to be plugged into a UK 230v 13A domestic socket - and connection via a UK purchased 3 to 2 pin adapter into a European 220V socket is a serious (terrifying?) hazard?
Have done the occasional rental in the past and have these adapters all around our house in Spain and never heard of any issues. 😳

·
Registered
300 Posts
Outbound:

View attachment 144461 View attachment 144462
To be continued...
Interesting and informative, particularly as I intend doing a trip to the Costa del sol once permitted to do so.

Can I ask a few questions... How many charges were necessary, what was the cost of the ferry crossing and when did you do this trip?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts