Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
As the E-mobility charges foward we will need a clearer set of rules and etiquette for charger usage,
a great many EV owners don't have a clue or have no interest in charging etiquette, particularly as we now live in a selfish MeMeMe society. The best way to prevent charger hogging is to either impose a time limit with an 'overtime' charge that increases in 10 minute increments or similarly idling charges after 80% soc has been achieved.

Tesla sensibly imposes such an idle fee.

A hotel receptionist is highly unlikely to be enthusiastic about wanting to be confrontational with a paying guest.

·
Registered
Puma GTE > Suzuki Jimny > BMW Z4 > Cupra Leon ST
86 Posts
a great many EV owners don't have a clue or have no interest in charging etiquette, particularly as we now live in a selfish MeMeMe society. The best way to prevent charger hogging is to either impose a time limit with an 'overtime' charge that increases in 10 minute increments or similarly idling charges after 80% soc has been achieved.

Tesla sensibly imposes such an idle fee.

A hotel receptionist is highly unlikely to be enthusiastic about wanting to be confrontational with a paying guest.
I guess in this case it is less of a charging hogging issue and more about what is the "overnight " period for a Hotel charger.
I mean, in a hotel you expect to be able to park/charge and go to sleep and just pick up in the next morning which is bound to be longer than 8h...
But I wouldn’t find unreasonsble if it was required to move vefore the breakfast in order to clear space for those who need a charge before leaving...

·
Registered
Ex MY20 4 - MY21 4+ Due January
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Interesting and informative, particularly as I intend doing a trip to the Costa del sol once permitted to do so.

Can I ask a few questions... How many charges were necessary, what was the cost of the ferry crossing and when did you do this trip?
Hi Bob
First the ‘When’
Outbound sailing Tues 27th April. £490
Return sailing Saturday 8th May. £504
Prices include about an extra £100 each way for the Galicia’s Commodore cabins which include tea and coffee facilities, live TV with huge movie selections and access to the private lounge with all day free drinks and snacks.
Don’t know whether it’s government restrictions or ferry operators Covid procedures but despite seeing ‘Sold out’ for some of the cabin options the ferry appeared practically empty each way.
interesting development since last made the trip is that breakfast and dinner meals now included in ticket price.

Charging:
We managed almost entirely with a Chargemap card. Many of the chargers are Iberdrola units (IBIL App) but attempts to sign up to IBIL before departure were unsuccessful. Chargemap though works with Iberdrola and their app indicates ‘Chargemap pass compatible’ for all the Iberdrola stations
Our route was Eastwards past Bilbao then Zaragoza (AP68) and Valencia (A23 - AP7)
(You would head straight South from Santander toward Burgos, Madrid etc..)
We made 2 stops outbound.
With 100% we made our 1st stop at Tudela approx 200 mls away. Chose Tudela as the location had 2 chargers and there were 2 alternate locations nearby (Most locations offer just a single charger with no nearby alternatives) On arrival we found one occupied and the other inop! Luckily only a 15 min wait for the working unit.
Our next ‘certain’ location was Valencia with a number of locations across the city. A single, isolated unit around halfway at Teruel didn’t look promising so opted for Valencia at 220 mls! With 100% we’d have over 20 mls in hand... so set off 2 1/2 hrs later with 100%!
Getting late, temp down from 14C to 9C AND rain ‘miles in hand’ was getting less! Heater already off, switched off wipers and gave them an occasional sweep. Wife got herself blanket from the back, in shorts and T shirt she helped me into a fleece (Planes Trains Automobiles😱)
With miles in hand down to 9 wife suggested we try Teruel... With 5mls off route, 5 back and only 9 in hand what if we can’t charge?
Reminded her lots of downhill before Valencia - and tucked in close behind a truck for rest of the way!
Arrived Valencia 40 mls in hand! 😅
An 80% got us to destination at 5am, 12 1/2 hrs after leaving Santander. (520 mile 8hr drive at 80mph in an ICE)
For return we opted for 3 stops and enjoyed a relaxing trip with cruise set to 75. First at Valencia just 80 miles from home, 2nd after a further 80mls at Teruel (downloaded the ‘Juice’ app!) and 3rd back at the dual charger in Tedula. Teruel worked but with difficulty - cable wouldn’t release from charger - guy from nearby filling station obviously watching us came over, assured us it was working and ripped it out with some force! Charged to 80% - and when replacing the cable the red fault light illuminated on the charger! We’d had the option of a stop at Zaragoza had Teruel not worked but with battery back at 80% we headed back to our outbound charger in Tedula. While charging there back to 100% for a final stint to Santander a cruising police car slowed, stopped and came over to check on us (probably because we were having a picnic with interior lights on!) After explaining where we’d come from, where we were going, and our justification for travel they asked if we were aware of the curfew! (It was1am!) Explained we were unsure and he accepted out assurance we would go to a nearby motel once charging finished. (With some 12 hours remaining before ferry we were already considering this)
So completed charge and checked in to motel and enjoyed pleasant drive to Santander later that day - 75mph arriving with around 30%.
A point to note is price - those charges on our Chargemap card were 0.80 euros per kW (75p?) Chargemap do indicate a ‘small commision’ is added to charging rates although don’t list what it is. Something to consider if doing this regularly perhaps although not as a one off.
At the end of our outbound we agreed it had been an adventure but not a trip to undertake in an EV.
After our return to Santander we completely reversed our decision and agreed we enjoyed the drive and would definitely do it again! Just charge early!

·
Registered
Kona64
1,644 Posts
For me, it would be almost completely pointless to be offered charging 'subject to availability'. It means I would need to have another plan, and then charging onboard would just be a 'nice unexpected extra'.

I'm happy to pay for the convenience. I'd pay 50p/ kWh if I could get a guaranteed full charge in the time I was onboard
totally agree
plus I can then perhaps see when an hour or so from arrival at port road side, if I need to use a Rapid before getting on, or that the booked-slot is now free on the ship and I can grab it via app etc.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
947 Posts
I suspect the ferry companies are looking at onboard charging as part of the booking process but it needs to be available on all the ships first, otherwise it adds an availability variable depending on the sailing schedule and that gets messy.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Javea (or Xabia depending which side you’re on!) has recently had some new 22kW chargers commissioned. A bit of a trek off the AP7 but I can point you in the direction of many fabulous places for a coffee or lunch!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I'd advise on buying a Tesla UMC and the correct adapters for that as you'd then get a full 16amp charge from such a socket as well, albeit I would maybe limit it to 13amp to avoid melting it by pushing it right to its limit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I'd advise on buying a Tesla UMC and the correct adapters for that as you'd then get a full 16amp charge from such a socket as well, albeit I would maybe limit it to 13amp to avoid melting it by pushing it right to its limit.
A Tesla UMC??
Out of curiosity we did try a Tesla charger near Valencia. CCS connection no problem and charging lights all flashed on and off together once connected but I guess it couldn’t communicate and nothing at all on the charging unit to explain how it worked- so moved on to a nearby Iberdrola 50kW.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,780 Posts
A Tesla UMC??
Out of curiosity we did try a Tesla charger near Valencia. CCS connection no problem and charging lights all flashed on and off together once connected but I guess it couldn’t communicate and nothing at all on the charging unit to explain how it worked- so moved on to a nearby Iberdrola 50kW.
If you buy a Tesla it works.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
A Tesla UMC??
Tesla

Universal
Mobile
Charger

Its a great unit as you can use all sorts of adapters such as commando, schuko... And they just plug in and the unit picks it up and adjusts the max allowable charge rate too, upto 7kw...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Tesla

Universal
Mobile
Charger

Its a great unit as you can use all sorts of adapters such as commando, schuko... And they just plug in and the unit picks it up and adjusts the max allowable charge rate too, upto 7kw...
Googled it!
Appears to be both US and UK (240v) versions but it only puts out as much as the source supply allows - is this any different to the 13A mains ‘granny cable’ supplied with a Kia?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,780 Posts
Googled it!
Appears to be both US and UK (240v) versions but it only puts out as much as the source supply allows - is this any different to the 13A mains ‘granny cable’ supplied with a Kia?
Yes. I can charge at up to 32 Amps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Yes. I can charge at up to 32 Amps.
Cool - wouldn’t want to try putting that through my Spanish wiring (!) but in UK maybe?
Think I read somewhere that the output on the Kia charger can be changed. Never used it until we drove to Spain.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,780 Posts
Cool - wouldn’t want to try putting that through my Spanish wiring (!) but in UK maybe?
Think I read somewhere that the output on the Kia charger can be changed. Never used it until we drove to Spain.
You just use the appropriate adaptor then. If you can’t limit the amps on the car side.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
You just use the appropriate adaptor then. If you can’t limit the amps on the car side.
Don’t understand (I’m no electrician)
Haven’t seen a price for the Tesla unit but that output makes it a convincing alternative to a UK wall box... (we have a Zappi)

41 - 60 of 70 Posts