Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Ex MY20 4 - MY21 4+ Due January
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Don’t understand (I’m no electrician)
Haven’t seen a price for the Tesla unit but that output makes it a convincing alternative to a UK wall box... (we have a Zappi)
Was confused at relevance of adapter to power output - is it just a beefier adapter or is there something else going on...
Thinking I might buy one! Could certainly be useful travelling / visitng family etc...

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
The UMC allows upto 7kw.
You use different adapters, plugs with it and these limit the power it can take.

ie the 3 pin UK plug limits it to 10amp.
16amp commando plug 16amps
32amp commando plug 32amps....

So on and so forth.

It means you can buy the relevent plug for your need and none of this cheap euro adapter plug style work, They are much, much beefier for their intended purpose as well so wont melt like a cheap eu-uk adapter may well do

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
The UMC allows upto 7kw.
You use different adapters, plugs with it and these limit the power it can take.

So on and so forth.

It means you can buy the relevent plug for your need and none of this cheap euro adapter plug style work, They are much, much beefier for their intended purpose as well so wont melt like a cheap eu-uk adapter may well do
Need to Google Commando plug...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
The UMC allows upto 7kw.

So on and so forth.

Struggling here(!) - so if plugging into UK domestic socket the limit is 10A?
So what if you go from UK 3 pin to a commando...?

·
Registered
741 Posts
...then the unit knows the difference and changes the charge rate accordingly. Not the only one that does this, Audi supply a similar device with the eTron for example. Comes with UK, Schuko and Commando plugs and changes the rate accordingly. Clever, innit?

Edit...or do you mean you made up a 3-pin to Commando adaptor...? Which is daft and would blow the supply fuse in the 3-pin plug 🤔

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,780 Posts
Don’t do that. The UMC will draw whatever it thinks it can due to the adaptor and blow the fuse.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Don’t do that. The UMC will draw whatever it thinks it can due to the adaptor and blow the fuse.
...blow the fuse... That’s what I thought!
So a Tesla UMC is not going to supply any more from a UK 13A socket than the granny charger supplied with the vehicle...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,780 Posts
...blow the fuse... That’s what I thought!
So a Tesla UMC is not going to supply any more from a UK 13A socket than the granny charger supplied with the vehicle...
Unless you plug it into a 16 or 32 Amp commando socket.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts