Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Would you be interested in an EV track day plus FE tour at Donington Park on a weekday in November?

• Yes - anytime

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • Yes - 1st week (3rd - 7th November)

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Yes - 2nd week (10th - 14th November)

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • No - possibly another time though

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.5%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
Things have moved forward on this between Donington, Formula E and myself :)
We need to now be serious about gauging people's interest.

A day to celebrate EVs is generally what it is about and to engage Formula E with the EV community.
Ideas which are very real possibilities are to have decent amounts of track time for your own road cars split up with other activities such as tours of the Formula E facilities and an in depth look at the car, Formula E car demonstration on track, Formula E championship drivers taking you round the track in your own cars to show what the car can do (obviously only if you want to!), and any other suggestions that you may have will be put into the mix.
Thoughts so far are that Zero Carbon World will donate adequate charging facilities so that many EVs can charge during the day so as to maximise track time. Charging will be at 7kW or 22kW type 2 socketed stations.

After all the costs are covered, any additional revenue will be donated to the charity. This, as with all money received, will then go into more Charging Station donations around the UK and therefore improve charging facilities for EVs!
Quite honestly though, if we can just have a successful day celebrating EVs then that will be make it all worthwhile :)

There will be fee's for drivers to pay but we plan on it ultimately being very cost effective for attending a track day and having an in depth tour of the car and facilities.

Early November is when it looks most possible from Formula E's point of view and probably be during the week as this is when track hire is cheapest and bring it into the realms of possibility.

Please can you share this on any other EV forums or speak to friends about this. The more people that could potentially make it, the cheaper it will be. Depending on numbers the cost will hopefully be around £200 per car for the entire day... For track time on an FIA circuit at the home of Formula E this is extremely competitive pricing. If we do not get the numbers we hope for though it may well increase but really at this stage its a case of trying to gauge if we have 10, 50 or 100 people interested in attending...

Please feel free to ask any questions. I will try and get any info required.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some people have asked if they can attend but not drive around the track...
I'll see how this goes but I would like to be as flexible as possible. Perhaps a reduced fee would be offered to those just wanting to see the Formula E car up close, have the tour, and be there for part of the day...

Please leave any comments of what does/doesn't interest you.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I said NO to the poll because I wouldn't want to drive on the track but I would be interested if there a reduced cost option to attend without the track drive.
Thanks Paul - that helps a lot.

I wonder if I can add that to the Poll now its published...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can we assume there will be some guidance, even tuition, from a certain famous BMW racing driver :)
I will certainly be there but I'm not sure that any one famous will attend...! Andy Priaulx is busy I think ;)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
94 Posts
As I'm only about 15 miles away, I'd love to attend.... But don't fancy taking my brand new Leaf around the track. Although it would be interesting to see how it handled through the hairpin!

Cheers for all effort involved in organising this.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I'm only about 15 miles away, I'd love to attend.... But don't fancy taking my brand new Leaf around the track. Although it would be interesting to see how it handled through the hairpin!

Cheers for all effort involved in organising this.
That's fair enough, everyone is free to do as they wish!

In terms of your own cars though, you don't have to drive them 100% flat out and destroy tyres and brakes etc... For the length of run you could do in the standard road EV the car will not get 'hurt' at all I don't think.

It's more of an exercise to have a bit of fun and drive around a historic circuit and learn more about formula E whilst helping or promote EVs...

It's a bit of fun that needs involvement to succeed...

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's a very valid point, that I hadn't considered. You've got me thinking now....

Does anyone have any recommendations for track insurance so I can get a quote?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The problem I would have Alexander is that I have done a bit of racing, mainly karts but also gone through some training at Brands Hatch, so I would want to drive a sensible car at a sensible speed on the track... and I couldn't/wouldn't want to do it in my new car.

Could you get them to lend us a Formula-E for the day? I promise not to crash it :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
No poss another time:(.

Timing is a bit off in Nov, would love to come and when you have specific dates I will see if things can be moved, Really need a few months notice to book into clear diary space.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll throw in hot passenger laps in a Tesla Roadster Sport as well...!

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
The problem I would have Alexander is that I have done a bit of racing, mainly karts but also gone through some training at Brands Hatch, so I would want to drive a sensible car at a sensible speed on the track... and I couldn't/wouldn't want to do it in my new car.

Could you get them to lend us a Formula-E for the day? I promise not to crash it :eek:
I dibbs second go:D

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm up for it - any date. Cant vote as on tapatalk.

How much roughly are we expecting it to cost?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm up for it - any date. Cant vote as on tapatalk.

How much roughly are we expecting it to cost?
Ok excellent, thanks Mike.
Well I think we will only run it if we can get sensible numbers, I'm thinking 25+...
The more people, the cheaper it is so its really got to gain traction (excuse the pun!) from where we are at now for it to work. If we can get more than 50 then the numbers really start to come down. I would hope that it would cost around £200 per car for the day. Still trying to get manufacturers interested to then put a chunk of money in... Will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Hey, if I can get a passenger ride in my car with it driven by a Formula E championship driver.... I'll be there like Road Runner!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, if I can get a passenger ride in my car with it driven by a Formula E championship driver.... I'll be there like Road Runner!!
It's a real possibility... We literally just need some sensible numbers to be interested and it can happen.

Please if you are members of other forums for Leafs, Amperas, etc... spread the word!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Can I pay a deposit now? :D I'd also love a passenger ride in a Tesla too if people are offering (I'll cover the cost of the electricity ;-) but a ride with one of the superstars of Formula E would be awesome.

Reactions: Lee Dalton
1 - 20 of 65 Posts