Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read so much on this site recently about the limitations of the BEV and been really p**'d off by those who infer that we should do nothing until the advent of the long-range-affordable EV. Its all cloud-cuckoo!
However, I then read post from those of a more mellow disposition who quietly state that they've drive 200 miles right out to the showroom! Bravo, I say!
I think those in this community who are routinely and effortlessly doing journey of 100+ mile journeys - even with kids - need to brag about it!
So 'silent majority', possibly you would like to download and use a very, very cheap 'tracking' App -ts available for Android, IoS even Kindle. You will find that it makes splendid graphical records of your journeys and you can the post them - on here?
Have a read at http://www.followmee.com and you will discover that you can track your trips - quid effortlessly. The anytime after the trip you can go to the Followmee website and get an URL, which can be cut-and-pasted - here, in a blog - or in your notes of great EV motoring.
Is there a catch - not as far as I can see. I was about to buy a tracker at £140, which has a great website for posting our adventures - but it there is an annual subscription, which is always a bad idea.
Followmee costs £3.99 (no subscription) and I found it on the Apple App Store - its simply brilliant!
The 'added value' is that by publishing you journey on this thread - you will be a great help to others! When people see the ease with which others traverse the country, they will realise that its straightforward and they will want to join in!
Now is the time to get familiar with the App, so that its use becomes second nature for those med/long range trips over the Easter holidays!
Go on - have a great day out and brag a-little!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe we could have the 'Speak-EV Prize for Meritorious BEVy-ing'! The criteria the longest distance/number of stops? Trips should exceed 150 miles and involve at least 2 stops. Followmee would verify the distance/time/stops! It would need some lean and precise motoring?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Wish I had seen this earlier. I'm not very tecchy-minded and my phone is ancient.
On my recent 742 mile round trip I kept a traditional logbook: like this
1st May:
7:20 Start Kilsyth Scotland G65 0HY
8:30 arrive Abingdon services: all 3 rapid chargers not working, panicking a bit due to loss of power on long hill. Only 25 miles left on gauge, 28 miles to go.
9:45 - 12:15 Leadhills: slow charge, nice place for long walk!
12: 50 - 13:20 Annandale services: good charge from 20% - 82%
1:50 - 14:08 Gretna services, 55%-88%
14:40 - 15:00 Southwaite, 58% - 96%
15:50 - 16:15 Killington Lake 44%-90%
17:20 - 17:40 Preston Services 60% - 97%
18:20 - 18.50 Charnock Richard (Southbound u/s, moved to Northbound across bridge) 62% - 95%
20:00 - overnight stay in Northwich at relatives house.

244 Miles - a real learning curve to take over 12 hours to drive less than 250 miles, but as my first long trip I learned a lot. Mainly to trust the regeneration to make up the difference coming down long hills, and then to have more trust in the main rapid charger network and not stop at every one for a top-up. To be fair, I was badly twitched at Abingdon, and never quite lost my caution after that.

After that I had two easy days, from Northwich to Coventry, via top ups at Stafford and Corley, then Coventry to Cheltenham in one charge. I stopped at the Racecourse to recharge.
On the main return trip - 342 miles, I managed to make the whole distance in under 12 hours. Leaving at 8:20, I stopped at Frankley, Keele, (via cross-bridge to Southbound, had to obtain pass-card from manager) Knutsford, Charnock Richard, Lancaster, Carnforth, Southwaite, Gretna, Annandale and Hamilton. I could have done it in less stops but I was keen to explore the state of chargers down this crucial route. On the whole they were OK, but a single bad one can really throw you.

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,216 Posts
Also forgot about this thread. I remember what was being discussed about range in early 2014 and it nearly put me off an EV.
I therefore drove my hybrid like an ev for a trial period.
After 2 weeks with the Leaf I was happy to make a 350 mile trip and not looked back since.
I only wish I had a copy of zap map from last Feb. Few rapids then.!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts