Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

i'm new here, but have been reviewing a number of threads for some time.

I've currently got a 330e and looking at moving to a M3P later this year when the world settles down.

i'm doing a piece of work to support my business to move a fleet to EV's. There are lots of different drivers and vehicle uses and so I'm looking to ensure that we can identify which users if not all could be moved to an EV.

Has anyone come across an App or similar which can track daily vehicle usage and therefore provide data which would support EV adoption or not for a given user?

Have searched but cannot see anything but feel as though its quite a simple thing?
Thanks for your help and sharing experiences

Jon

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes, Jaguar released an app last year which went under the radar a bit. I think it might do what you need.

Basically, it tracks your journeys in any car and then provides data as if it were completed in an EV - such as number of charges and cost.

It is based on an ipace and quite expensive energy tariffs for charging but it should give you and your team a good indication.

I made a video on it a while ago:

If you need something more formal, I think Electric Zoo work with businesses to analyse fleets and driving needs to help you pick the right EVs.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the for the support and insight - will take a look at the Ipace App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, Jaguar released an app last year which went under the radar a bit. I think it might do what you need.

Basically, it tracks your journeys in any car and then provides data as if it were completed in an EV - such as number of charges and cost.

It is based on an ipace and quite expensive energy tariffs for charging but it should give you and your team a good indication.

I made a video on it a while ago:

If you need something more formal, I think Electric Zoo work with businesses to analyse fleets and driving needs to help you pick the right EVs.

Hope that helps.
Sounded great and viewed the video - however I cannot find it on the AppStore? Has it been removed do you know?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks - have just tried but message saying App not available - I wonder if Jaguar have stopped supporting it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Jaguar told me they'd look into it but I've heard nothing else since.

The app works for me on Android so no idea what's up with the iOS version. And I suspect if there is an issue, Jag aren't in a rush to fix it. Which is a shame because I think it's a really useful app, but I'm not sure how popular it was.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Is there really need for an app?
Common sense an experience of those here will tell you most things. The more Yes's you get to these questions, the more likely you would benefit from an EV.
1. Do you have the facility to have home charging installed.
2. Do you have 2 or more cars in your household (which shares cars)
3. Does at least one of you commute to work at a distance comfortably within half the winter range of the proposed EV.
4. Does at least one of you routinely use a car for local journeys which amount to less than 80% say of the range each day. ie, shopping, school run etc.
5. Have you test driven an EV (preferably extended) and found it a good experience and particularly better than the ICE car you drive now.
6. Do you have workplace charging.
7. Do you feel that there are significant environmental advantages to electric transport.
8. Are you on Economy 7 (or similar) already without factoring in future EV use.
9. Do you not have an unreasoable attachment to dirty, noisy, smelly ICE vehicles because .......?
10. Can you afford to lease one for 2 years. (This is a killer question as it is like a 2yr test drive)
11. Do you commute to or regularly visit a city centre that already has pollution charges or is likely to introduce them (eg York)

That's all I can think of now - and I scored 10 so I should get one - ah yes, I already have.

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
i'm doing a piece of work to support my business to move a fleet to EV's. There are lots of different drivers and vehicle uses and so I'm looking to ensure that we can identify which users if not all could be moved to an EV.
Good idea and best to be cautious as many on here do have EV tinted glasses and will tell you anyone can drive a BEV. They will tell you how they drove all over Europe in a Leaf 24 with a bar missing and had no problems ;)

The reality today is that someone who does regular long drives will be time disadvantaged in a BEV. How disadvantaged will depend on (a) size of battery (b) charging speed and (c) routes. Clearly an app to log routes will help with (c) as even in a Tesla there are routes which require significant detours to SuC and there are risks (ICEd, in use, faulty etc) of heading to a site with just one rapid. Also, even adding 100 miles range can take a while, for example if sharing a SuC or charging on a 50kW rapid. For someone doing regular long distance journeys 7kW home charging is a must IMO and many employers make it a condition of having a company BEV.

However, some employees may be prepared for a modest time disadvantage for the substantial savings in BIK. My suggestion would be to canvas drivers first to see their appetite for saving money vs. possibly adding modest extra time to some of their journeys. Some companies pay travel time, so be careful that a move to EVs doesn't add substantially to such cost and wipe out employer NI savings. One company I know (don't pay travel time) are offering a BEV bonus (£500 a year I think) and free home charging point to encourage transition as part of their green initiative.

When I had to regularly drive longer distances for work I had my Ampera as it meant I didn't have to worry about stopping on way home from (say) Manchester to charge. I don't do those journeys any longer, but if I did I would get a 250+ mile range BEV as a company car in a heartbeat - even if it only had 50kW charging. Back in 2014 that wasn't an affordable possibility for me - it would be today.

Reactions: cDy and EdH

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is there really need for an app?
Common sense an experience of those here will tell you most things. The more Yes's you get to these questions, the more likely you would benefit from an EV.
1. Do you have the facility to have home charging installed.
2. Do you have 2 or more cars in your household (which shares cars)
3. Does at least one of you commute to work at a distance comfortably within half the winter range of the proposed EV.
4. Does at least one of you routinely use a car for local journeys which amount to less than 80% say of the range each day. ie, shopping, school run etc.
5. Have you test driven an EV (preferably extended) and found it a good experience and particularly better than the ICE car you drive now.
6. Do you have workplace charging.
7. Do you feel that there are significant environmental advantages to electric transport.
8. Are you on Economy 7 (or similar) already without factoring in future EV use.
9. Do you not have an unreasoable attachment to dirty, noisy, smelly ICE vehicles because .......?
10. Can you afford to lease one for 2 years. (This is a killer question as it is like a 2yr test drive)
11. Do you commute to or regularly visit a city centre that already has pollution charges or is likely to introduce them (eg York)

That's all I can think of now - and I scored 10 so I should get one - ah yes, I already have.
The original post asked if there was such an app, and there is.

Personally, I think it's a useful tool and people will be convinced by EVs in different ways. Most people won't be visiting an EV forum that's for sure, so I think you're being a bit optimistic with your 10 questions or so. Most people won't want to answer a quiz to decide if an EV is for them nor will they care.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The only real problem with my list of 10 simple questions is that I didn't aim it at business users but the principles are fairly universal. What does the app tell you and what does the potential owner/user have to do to get a robust recommendation? Is it solely aimed at potential Jaguar users?

·
Registered
117 Posts
It uses GPS on your phone to track your real-world journeys in your car and uses that data to tell you how many miles you've travelled per day/week etc. Which is useful for people to see how few miles they really travel.

It then will also tell you how many charges you will have needed or used that week and the cost. It is based on the Jaguar I-Pace of course, but still useful and the cost to charge is based on a rather expensive "average UK tariff" which is around 14p per kWh in the app if I remember correctly.

But for someone to "test drive" an EV and see that the range of most EVs covers them easily and it costs a lot less is invaluable. A lot of people are stubborn about EVs and they just can't be "told" by an enthusiast... they need to see it themselves to believe it and I think this app is just one way of helping with that.

I reviewed this app yonks ago and I found it reassuring to use as we had just ordered our EV back then:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts