Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reason why all EV's currently available are fitted with an automatic transmission?
Auto boxes on ICE cars tend to get a lower mpg than manual transmissions.
Thanks

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
217 Posts
Auto boxes on ICE cars now get better fuel consumption figures than the manual in many cases, and electric cars have motors, not engines needing gears to drive them. A manual EV would be very strange to drive.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Electric motors are far more versatile & flexible than ICE, e.g. you have max torque available at zero (and low) speeds. Torque from ICE at zero speed = 0 = useless. So you can ditch all that 6-speed DSG stuff entirely, and just have the aforementioned single speed reduction to do sensible torque/speed matching, plus a differential.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,589 Posts
Is there a reason why all EV's currently available are fitted with an automatic transmission?
Thanks
Although they seem to behave like an auto, they are actually nothing like an automatic.

The auto transmissions you are thinking of have a torque converter that can be quite inefficient. However these are less used in Europe than say the US.

In most EVs there's a single gear or reduction box, so no need for gears at all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks
As has been pointed out, EVs don't have automatic gearboxes - they don't change gears at all for the simple reason that they don't need to because they work so well over such a wide range of revs, unlike an ICE.

However, it's also worth noting that modern ICE cars are now much more likely to come with an auto box, in some/many cases with no option for a manual, because the latest auto boxes with dual clutches are lighter and more efficient than their manual counterparts, so can actually offer better consumption and even reliability (because the gear changing is done quickly and smoothly by the electronics rather than by a ham-fisted driver). They can also have more gears than a manual box just because of the usability (can you imagine using an 8 speed manual box and finding the right gear?).

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
While we’re here, can someone explain how a Formula E “gearbox” works? Is it like the old days of electric trains when it goes from parallel to series or something?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
They aren't.
They are classed by the DVLA as 'automatic' because there is no clutch pedal or gear changing required and thus they can be driven by people having an 'automatic' licence.
Creating another licence category for EVs would be expensive, confusing and is unnecessary (and someone, somewhere, sometime will of course build an EV with a manual gearbox ... because that's what people do).

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Stanley steamers were automatic, these are direct drive so no gearbox required. True of most steam engines.
EVs are the same, effectively direct drive, as for that matter are Scalextric cars. :geek:
Nothing new

Reactions: EdH

·
Super Moderator
7,570 Posts
Thanks guys - I guess I'll have to get used to not using my left foot
You’ll get used to it quickly. I haven’t used a clutch for about five years. I don’t miss it at all.

Reactions: Todor and cah197

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,873 Posts
Thanks guys - I guess I'll have to get used to not using my left foot
I can sell you one of my clutch pedal simulators if you miss it so much.;)

(I had a problem driving a manual courtesy car last month: stalled it, forgot there was no regen braking (slightly overshot a junction) and the brakes were over sensitive)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,589 Posts
(I had a problem driving a manual courtesy car last month: stalled it, forgot there was no regen braking (slightly overshot a junction) and the brakes were over sensitive)
Yeah, manual ICE cars are scary once you drive an EV for a year.

Going too fast into roundabouts, no acceleration, leaving the car unlocked and with the keys in the ignition because you've got too used to walk-away locking.

·
Super Moderator
11,951 Posts
While we’re here, can someone explain how a Formula E “gearbox” works? Is it like the old days of electric trains when it goes from parallel to series or something?
Formula E transmissions are racing transmissions similar to the ones in other Formula cars.

At first all Formula E cars used a 4-speed paddle shifting box from Hewland. It was required by the rules.

The current rules simply require a transmission which rules out direct drive or in-wheel motors. The cars have 3- or 4-speed transmissions depending on the motors.

A clutch isn't required to shift an EV. Some cars may have one or even DCT. I have no idea.

·
Super Moderator
11,951 Posts
The BMW i8 has a two-speed transmission on the front motor. It uses low gear in pure EV mode only.

At first it was suposed to shift on-the-fly but BMW never figured out a way to do that without unsettling the car in turns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts