Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i've just joined the forum and would be keen to hear of any thoughts and comments around tyres on EVs. I'm not selling anything but looking to provide a resource of data and insight on tyres for EVs. Please take a look at https://electricvehicletyres.com/ and maybe follow @EVTyres if interested?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi, i've just joined the forum and would be keen to hear of any thoughts and comments around tyres on EVs. I'm not selling anything but looking to provide a resource of data and insight on tyres for EVs. Please take a look at https://electricvehicletyres.com/ and maybe follow @EVTyres if interested?
If you search this forum, you will find plenty of comments on tyres.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Just had a v quick look. Simply seems to regurgitate the stuff the mfrs put out, so impossible to compare say Michelins .vs. Goodyears on a side-by-side basis. I want to see info like the performance measurements of actual coeffs of rolling resistance. braking distance in the wet etc, max cornering speeds, such as you see collated at tyreviews.com for e.g.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I for one do not have the facilities time or finances to carry out comparative tests on various tyres. There are various reviews on the internet and Youtube, but even thses are limited to testing new tyres from a few brands. All anyone on here can do is compare their impression of past and current tyres on the cars they have, so not very scientific or objective. I don’t remember seeing any long term test of performance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just had a v quick look. Simply seems to regurgitate the stuff the mfrs put out, so impossible to compare say Michelins .vs. Goodyears on a side-by-side basis. I want to see info like the performance measurements of actual coeffs of rolling resistance. braking distance in the wet etc, max cornering speeds, such as you see collated at tyreviews.com for e.g.
Hi HandyAndy, thanks for the reply and yes that type of detail would be useful but from my experience typically only one size and type; e.g. 205/55R16 91V would be tested and another size tyre can often perform somewhat differently. From an EV point of view the interior noise and tyre life are key considerations but they're rarely mentioned?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Yes, noise, life, also rolling resistance (m/kWh) & grip are obvs key considerations, and yes it's v hard to come to a decision on what's best, so I find I'll spend ages comparing all the various reports/reviews I can find to come to a general-opinion gut-feel type summary in my head. And yes slight changes in size do sometimes give very different results, so the precise sizes I want compared are never the ones chosen! So for now I'll stick to the review sites, as not sure what your value-add is tbh.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts