Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am not going to try to convince anyone to get a smart phone if you don't feel you need or want one. But IMO it will become increasingly difficult going forward to do the things we all want to do without one. My mother-in-law has only just got one. She didn't want it and tbh didn't need it but banking and facetiming her grandkids in the USA convinced her to get one. So I got her a £70 one from a secondhand shop and that is when the trouble started... she really hasn't a clue and I spend hours (or what seems like hours!) explaining and showing her how to use it but I might as well be trying to teach the dog (not wanting to be rude about the dog you understand... I am sure he is quite intelligent ;) ).

So, like EVs, they aren't for everyone right now :)
I don't have a smartphone, but I run an EV. I have a basic mobile phone but only use it for the occasional phone call, and even rarer text message. But then again I don't do a high driving mileage, and I charge up my car at home. On the rare occasions I travel further I use Zapmap to plan where I am going to charge, so far with no issues. I look for chargers that allow contactless payment. As far as I can see, it just needs a little planning ahead, with some backups in case of things going wrong. However, I do appreciate that I am probably in the large minority of both EV owners and the general public who don't own a smartphone. I don't have need of one (as fas as I can see), but I do accept that others can't manage without. If in the future the ownership of a smartphone becomes essential for EV ownership, then I think this will be a bad move.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts