Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember that in a recent budget an announcement was made that electric vehicles would be allowed to use bus lanes. Has anyone come across any information as to how this will be implemented or when?

This is prompted by a recent inadvertent adventure is a Plymouth bus lane for which I received a lovely photo of my Leaf!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I think it was a very tiny number of bus lanes, most of which were of little practical value, except maybe Nottingham I think

·
Registered
150 Posts
Don't want it terrible idea, bus lanes are there to allow effective public mass transport and to provide a modicum of protection to people riding bicycles. Electric cars cause congestion just like any other car and like any other car are just as likely to harm or kill vulnerable road users too.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
bicycles should be in their own lanes not fighting for space with buses

·
The best there is at what I do
10,686 Posts
I seem to remember that in a recent budget an announcement was made that electric vehicles would be allowed to use bus lanes. Has anyone come across any information as to how this will be implemented or when?

This is prompted by a recent inadvertent adventure is a Plymouth bus lane for which I received a lovely photo of my Leaf!
How did you end up in a bus lane?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last time I went to Plymouth it was the main road! Which has now been rerouted down a previous two lane single direction road so I suspect I am not alone and the fines are rolling in....

·
The best there is at what I do
10,686 Posts
Last time I went to Plymouth it was the main road! Which has now been rerouted down a previous two lane single direction road so I suspect I am not alone and the fines are rolling in....

Thought it would be something like that, they did the same thing in Reading and have a nice little earner going on there now :eek:

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I'm not quite sure whether a quiet pollution-free EV in a dense urban area is a worse alternative than a ghastly diesel bus belching fumes and particulates out all over the pedestrians and cyclists...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree with Brett. As I posted on another forun recently, we need to accept that good town planning (especially town centre planning) rests on something like the following pecking order for non commercial travel (the top of the list represents what town planners really want to see, as it creates a pleasant outdoor environment even in claustrophobic Victorian town centres):

Walking
Cycling
Bus
Train
Taxi
Greener cars (EV)
Polluting cars (ICE)

Good town planning maximises travel by the upper modes. An EV is still a car, by this logic, and still creates congestion, even though it is better for the environment than ICE.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I agree with Brett. As I posted on another forun recently, we need to accept that good town planning (especially town centre planning) rests on something like the following pecking order for non commercial travel (the top of the list represents what town planners really want to see, as it creates a pleasant outdoor environment even in claustrophobic Victorian town centres):

Walking
Cycling
Bus
Train
Taxi
Greener cars (EV)
Polluting cars (ICE)

Good town planning maximises travel by the upper modes. An EV is still a car, by this logic, and still creates congestion, even though it is better for the environment than ICE.
I've seen a lot of pollution being emitted in cities by buses, ICE trains and ICE Taxis and would rank public health as a greater priority than reducing congestion. If we could get rid of diesel buses, taxis and trains I feel there would be big benefits. Electric bikes and smaller electric cars should may be preferable to dirty buses etc, though I wonder what happened to all the electric trolley buses.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,929 Posts
the following pecking order....
Walking
Cycling
Bus
Train
Taxi
Greener cars (EV)
Polluting cars (ICE)
Disagree. Buses and taxis. Eugh! I tell you what, next time I see a taxi sitting waiting for a passenger who's actually bothered to turn his engine off rather than let it idle pointlessly, or a bus stopped at a way point likewise, then I might begin to agree with you.

The pecking order is;-
1) Human powered, then
2) All electric powered, then
3) Electric assist, then
4) .... shouldn't be anything else!!!!

(You can fit 'fuel cells' anywhere in that list if you like, next to 'powered by unicorns')

·
Registered
254 Posts
Disagree. Buses and taxis. Eugh! I tell you what, next time I see a taxi sitting waiting for a passenger who's actually bothered to turn his engine off rather than let it idle pointlessly, or a bus stopped at a way point likewise, then I might begin to agree with you.
Never understood allowing taxis in bus lanes. Especially how they just stop and block traffic.

London would improve loads just requiring buses and taxis to switch to electric only. I think BYD make an electric taxi that is very close in price to a normal taxi. With a few carefully placed rapids, I think TFL could require all new taxis to be electric... Forcing the fleet to change.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
That's the point, because driving a private vehicle in dense urban areas is unpleasant, for everyone, and needs to be discouraged..
This is why the green movement is despised

Instead of making public transport better

There is a dogma just to make own a car far far worse

So i am left with 2 options both of which are awful

One by design and the other by accident

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,929 Posts
TFL could require all new taxis to be [something better]... Forcing the fleet to change.
They already have. 2020 I think. LTI have produced that PHEV with a 1 litre petrol engine to meet the new rules.

·
Registered
254 Posts
They already have. 2020 I think. LTI have produced that PHEV with a 1 litre petrol engine to meet the new rules.
Sounds like a step in the right direction. Hopefully the tech will improve by then such that 2025 it'll be no ICE at all. That or taxis will be redundant as it's all autonomous driving. :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts