Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Future first time EV owner (hopefully next few months).

It seems like a steep learning curve, this EV business, but I’ve found it interesting and stimulating so far.

This forum has certainly been helpful in filling in the sizeable gaps in my knowledge (I had no idea how much I didn't know!)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Welcome!
We overthink things about EV's on this community. Fundamentally they are just cars with a little bit in common with mobile phones. In comparison to ICE they make a lot of sense for most people, the only difference being that some issues such as range anxiety were beaten out of ICE drivers a long time ago.
Get a good example and you'll never go back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome! Wales can be a bit challenging because the lack of charging infrastructure.
Another Welsh rookie here, in Penarth, south Wales. Range anxiety kicked-in the moment I ordered my M3 SR+ a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been hoping for some movement on the planned SuperChargers in Builth Wells, Aberystwyth and “North Wales”, these were due in 2019, but are now slated for before end of 2020. so just one SuperCharger for the whole of Wales and a great big hole in the middle of the country with almost no chargers at all.

One of my 1st trips will be to Colwyn Bay, and it looks like it’s going to be a little nerve-racking for an EV virgin, and will probably require a massive detour into England to charge, whereas I would like to take the scenic route through the mountains.

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
Great to see Polar and others installing more rapids in North and Wales. Should make life easier when we visit family there this year ?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Another Welsh rookie here, in Penarth, south Wales. Range anxiety kicked-in the moment I ordered my M3 SR+ a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been hoping for some movement on the planned SuperChargers in Builth Wells, Aberystwyth and “North Wales”, these were due in 2019, but are now slated for before end of 2020. so just one SuperCharger for the whole of Wales and a great big hole in the middle of the country with almost no chargers at all.

One of my 1st trips will be to Colwyn Bay, and it looks like it’s going to be a little nerve-racking for an EV virgin, and will probably require a massive detour into England to charge, whereas I would like to take the scenic route through the mountains.
No need to go to England! Cletwr is a nice place to stop for a charge, but you need Polar+, I gather. Failing that Aber. Uni. seems to be more reliable than it was, these days, and it is app, card or contactless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No need to go to England! Cletwr is a nice place to stop for a charge, but you need Polar+, I gather. Failing that Aber. Uni. seems to be more reliable than it was, these days, and it is app, card or contactless.
Thanks for the advice!

I just checked Zap Map and Cletwr is out of service at the moment. That's what worries me about Mid-Wales right now. If 2 chargers aren't available , for example, Aberystwyth and Cletwr, you're in deep trouble.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

I just checked Zap Map and Cletwr is out of service at the moment. That's what worries me about Mid-Wales right now. If 2 chargers aren't available , for example, Aberystwyth and Cletwr, you're in deep trouble.
Not really in trouble if you can get a reasonable rate with AC, there is also 22kW AC at the Aber. council charge point if you register with Dragon or GeniePoint.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks - that's not showing on Zap Map for me. Maybe I've done something with the search filters!?!

·
Super Moderator
11,438 Posts
Not really in trouble if you can get a reasonable rate with AC, there is also 22kW AC at the Aber.
Model 3 has 11kW on board. It will take a while.

@cockneyleek could detour through England and then head back towards Wales via M54 Telford Supercharger --> A5 Shrewsbury --> Oswestry -- to Betws y Coed then north on A470. There are better charging opportunities and the A5 / A470 route is scenic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@cockneyleek could detour through England and then head back towards Wales via M54 Telford Supercharger --> A5 Shrewsbury --> Oswestry -- to Betws y Coed then north on A470. There are better charging opportunities and the A5 / A470 route is scenic.
Thanks. That was my original plan but I would prefer to drive all the way through Snowdonia.

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts

You can't live a Tesla life just on SuC and there are rapids in North Wales! The EH one in Bangor I know works with the Model 3, plus there are recent ones in both Caernarfon and Bangor Morrisons and a new Polar at hotel in Betws-y-Coed. Being new, I am 95% confident these will work.

Aberystwyth is the longer way around from Penarth to Colwyn Bay, it is shorter through Builth Wells. Getting to Betws (with Bangor as Plan B) might be tight in an SR+ this time of year, but I would just stop on way for an hour coffee break on 7kW post to give some contingency - maybe earlier in journey to boost confidence. There are plenty of 7Kw posts, but watch for the "customers only" accommodation ones - Zapmap and Plugshare are your friends ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Morrisons supermarkets seem to be rolling out 50kWh rapid chargers - a pair in Ross-on-Wye & another pair in Hereford so far for instance, might be worth a look when planning trips, not cheap, but you can always eat at the café whilst waiting.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Morrisons supermarkets seem to be rolling out 50kWh rapid chargers - a pair in Ross-on-Wye & another pair in Hereford so far for instance, might be worth a look when planning trips, not cheap, but you can always eat at the café whilst waiting.
Morrisons ones work really well but make sure you get a rfid card as the website to stop/start a charge is well dodgy especially with bad signal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts