Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone post some pictures or some guidance on the installation of the key switch fitted to an EV Wall Pod? I would like to retro fit one,

Regards

Jim

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Sorry, can't help with answering the question, but can you humour me and say why you want one? It's your time and money, but I have never understood the benefit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, can't help with answering the question, but can you humour me and say why you want one? It's your time and money, but I have never understood the benefit.
just figured it seemed logical to turn it off, but then again I don’t suppose someone is going to park on my drive for several hours using my electricity? Don’t plan on isolating using the circuit breakers as they aren’t designed for that, a key seemed a sensible step? Happy to take some guidance

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Don’t plan on isolating using the circuit breakers as they aren’t designed for that, a key seemed a sensible step? Happy to take some guidance
A quick Google gives me an MCB with a mechanical switch life of 20,000 cycles. It'll generally only be switched off with non load, so electrical doesn't matter (and was the same for the one I found anyway).

MCBs are dirt cheap and even an RCBO is probably less than the cost of the switch you are proposing to fit, so I'd use the breaker if it's not too hard to reach and replace it (with a better one) if it fails after a few years.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
just figured it seemed logical to turn it off, but then again I don’t suppose someone is going to park on my drive for several hours using my electricity?
I'm naturally worried about theft, but as you say - who's going to park on your drive for hours to steal your 'leccy, and even if they do it doesn't cost you enough to justify the cost and hassle of fitting and using the lock. It is more likely to go wrong and prevent you using the charge point than the mythical scrote.
Google turns up just two examples of theft - both from the USA.
EV Driver Jailed for 'Stealing' 5 Cents of Electricity
Florida Man Comes Home to Random Tesla Model 3 Charging in His Yard, Stealing Electricity

1 - 5 of 5 Posts