Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys helped with a previous warning light - cheers

I've now had a EV service light appear (subsequently gone). Hand book suggests its a minor issue that EV function needs a service.

Mitsubishi suggests its nothing to worry about and they'd charge me £130 to do a diagnostic check up!

I'm off 500 mile round trip (holiday) probably all on petrol (in France).

Should I bother with a diagnostic? or wait and see?

error light hasn't appeared again!

Views

(just don't want to break down in France!)

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Richi - no; couple of tyres were changed about 6 months ago, so I have variable ware! Interestingly service centre alluded to this issue as well (probably weren't prescriptive to me as they may be culpable if not issue - so stay neutral in language). But if you think this is issue is problem I may sleep easier ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just seen the other post on same problem. I was over slightly rough motorway surface when light came on. I'm guessing its the tyre issue! But do I want to guess though, with a long journey or £130 to tell me what Ive found out here ;)

·
richi.uk
237 Posts
Just so I'm sure what you're saying, I understand that all four of your tyres are the same brand and product name—in other words, when you replaced one pair, you bought the same brand/product that you still have on the other axle. Is that right?

If so, a difference of a few mm of tread between front and back axles can be the root cause of a range of symptoms. If your front tyres are the pair with more tread, then they'll naturally even out. However, if it's the rear pair that are new, you ought to rotate them before you go to France:

If that's the cause of your EV System Service Required, it's unlikely to be a big problem, unless you also get the weird/dangerous surging behaviour at speed when you come off the gas pedal. Section L of the FAQ has more details: richi.uk/phevfaq

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep I don't have same brand tyres, two at front are different from back. I don't recall any surging you describe. I'll look at your FAQ's

ta'

·
richi.uk
237 Posts
Got it. Sorry, I misread your original. Some mixtures of tyre work okay together, and some don't.

The recommendation from Mitsubishi is clear (and repeated throughout the manual): Don't mix tyres. However, the dealers often get the reason completely wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts