Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't going to announce this until after Christmas as that would then have given us more chance to get more info into it but I think there is enough there to get it going already so here you are...

http://www.evwiki.info

I have been surprised that there has not been many places where you can go to get information about EVs. The info is out there but it is scattered and difficult and time-consuming to find. I thought there should be a single place where people could go to get information on any aspect of Electric Vehicles. That is evwiki.info.

Obviously it doesn't have much on it yet. It will need others, you, me, everyone, to make sure anything that is missing gets added. You can add it yourself or email us at [email protected] and we will add it for you.

Similarly, if you think anything is incorrect just correct it or email us.

The purpose behind evwiki.info is not to just copy stuff that is already out there but to link to it making sure that all the bases are covered. You will find a lot of links to Wikipedia and other places to fill in your knowledge gaps but now you can always start in the one place - evwiki.info.

I think this will be a significant help to newcomers to EVs.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Good idea, I helped set up a wikia powered wiki for the Mini a while back and it's good to see that rolling along under its own steam, took a while for others to chime in but once they do it can be a really good resource!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EV Wiki is now back!

I have seen many recent suggestions/requests that we have a central source of reference info and the EV Wiki makes sense and so I have decided to give it another shot. I closed it because it was not being used, not being updated and not really serving any useful purpose. Now may be the right time to re-launch.

I will give it year to see if people want it. I hope they do because with people's help it could be a fantastic reference source for newcomers to EVs and EV owners alike :)

Electric Vehicles Wiki

Obviously, some of the existing pages are now out of date and I shall try to get them up to date as much as I can in the coming days but it really needs your input if it is to survive. There is just too much for one person if we want it to include all the useful info that should be there. I will do my best over the coming months but I really need your help.

If people want the EV Wiki then I will keep it open indefinitely but it needs to be used/edited and kept up to date if it is to be worthwhile.

:)

BTW I have considered the option of putting the info on Wikipedia. Wikipedia is just too big and has very rigid rules of how pages must be formatted and how the pages are written. By keeping it separate we can be more flexible and in that way it can be written is a way that is easier to read and understand than the rigid structure of Wikipedia. I would still like to keep it factual but the requirements for accreditation and referencing can be more relaxed and still provide a great information base for all things EV. EV Wiki will reference Wikipedia when ever possible though to prevent duplication.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hey Paul,

Love the Wiki, can't tell you how confused I was about EV's only a few months ago I actually put myself off buying one because I just couldn't get my head around it.

This can easily be very, very helpful for loads of people wanting to get into EV's and you have my support. The only problem is getting it out there, someone who is casually interested in a Zoe or a Model S needs to know to come to the Wiki or else lots of Googling can just spin your head round in circles!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,140 Posts
Nice. Was that inadvertent or intentional the use of a Leaf Hogging a charger in the main page? Parked and not charging, made me chuckle.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice. Was that inadvertent or intentional the use of a Leaf Hogging a charger in the main page? Parked and not charging, made me chuckle.
LOL!

That is my old Leaf. I took the picture before or after (can't remember which) charging so it isn't Hogging but it sure looks like it doesn't it. I put together the basic EV Wiki a couple of years ago too so bay hogging was less of a hot topic then... but you are right... a pic of a EV in a charging bay not plugged in is not the right message.

I will replace that pick with a more appropriate one... i.e. one plugged in!

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@tictak Thanks for that. It is exactly for that reason I feel that EV Zone/Wiki is needed. I am sure the info is out there but finding it spread throughout the Googleverse is time-consuming and hard work.

If we can grow it in the way I am sure we can then it could become the "go to" location for this kind of EV info and so the more it is used so the higher it will get on Google searches. Also, the more we refer people to it as a reference from forums, twitter etc so the more it will get used.

I also want to mail-shot all EV dealers in the UK and invite them to give the details of EV Zone/Wiki to their customers. If is it seen as being independent and unbiased then they might be pleased to have a resource to which they can refer to themselves to aid their sales and that in itself will help all future owners as it will then mean that the info the salesperson gives is likely to be more accurate - something I think we all would appreciate.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that.

I'll tidy up.

Spam is a constant issue with anything like this. :( I shall investigate a solution but the ones that work are often pricey but I should be able to improve things significantly.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,140 Posts
LOL!

That is my old Leaf. I took the picture before or after (can't remember which) charging so it isn't Hogging but it sure looks like it doesn't it. I put together the basic EV Wiki a couple of years ago too so bay hogging was less of a hot topic then... but you are right... a pic of a EV in a charging bay not plugged in is not the right message.

I will replace that pick with a more appropriate one... i.e. one plugged in!

Thanks. :)

NP, I thought some friendly pedantry would be better than you being hit with an avalanche of hard core pedants. ;)

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spam cleared.

I have had to delete several hundred spam users and their posts. If I have delete you in the process please forgive me. It was a little unfocused but I had to do it quickly. Any issues just PM me :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Your biography must be at least 50 words long."
You don't make it easy for people to join do you ;)
Sorry but no I don't and that is deliberate to keep spammers and bot-generated users away. I do apologise but until I find better ways to keep out the spammers I have to ask members to provide a bio and I will authorise each member to make sure that they are not spammers.

To be honest, it is hardly a big deal but I will reduce that to 25 and see how we go. 50 was the suggested minimum with the software :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
I do apologise but until I find better ways to keep out the spammers I have to ask members to provide a bio and I will authorise each member to make sure that they are not spammers.
Hi Paul,

you could have used the information under "Other information" for that. The difference is that you make no guarantees that the "bio" section will be kept secret, but you do for the "other" information...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sorry. The plug in doesn't restrict registration based on number of words in Other Information... only Bio.

You don't have to enter private stuff :) Just enter stuff you don't mind other people knowing like why you are interested in EVs, what car you have etc. It is only so I can see that you are a real person :)

Edit: I have changed the message to make it clearer not to enter private info. I hope that is more acceptable :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Worked fine! I've registered and edited a few pages. More then happy to do more work, but with this (Q4) being the busiest time of year for me time is scarce - and I tend to spent the time that I've got here on this site ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts