Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
1250 UK customers have pre-reserved their EV6 already. Plenty of post Brexit demand for this great looking car. Orders can be placed from 4th May for those who pre-reserved. You should have an email to nominate your preferred dealer who will contact you soon.

Exciting!
😀

·
Banned
367 Posts
Hyundai/Kia are definitely building great new models. I didn't like the EV6 in the renderings but on the video's it looks stunning.
The price on the other hand is really steep.
This is Tesla territory and I wonder if Hyundai/Kia aren't pursuing the wrong market or doing it the wrong way.
Seeing Tesla sell so many Model 3's and model Y's may have made them envious, but Tesla is becoming more of a niche as legacies are ramping up mass-production.
IMO Kia and Hyundai can compete with Tesla on the car specs, but I wonder if they can compete on the marketing side, which is what most of Tesla is about.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Seems like a reasonable price for what is a pretty advanced EV. Not saying I'd have one over a model 3 mind.

Did at least encourage me to take a look at some photos - but all I found (from a very cursory look) is a video of it doing some proving ground work round a track via here The Kia EV6 Electric Car | Kia Motors UK

I've certainly reached a time in my life where I have zero interest in seeing it going sideways and am obsessed with boot space & accessibility.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,007 Posts
The e-gmp platform looks to be really good. I would probably take one of these over a Tesla, based purely on my prejudices. It’s academic because it was a hell of stretch to get the e-Niro so anything over £40k ain’t in my budget.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
“EVs will get cheaper over time as larger production volumes mean lower prices for batteries and components.”
- Everyone circa 2014

How’s that working out? 🤪

If Kia want to charge £50k, I’m sure there will be enough folk queueing up to buy one. But it goes nowhere towards helping normal people replace their 2010 Sportage or 2006 diesel Focus with an EV.

EV pricing is going in the wrong direction... change my mind.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
871 Posts
EV pricing is going in the wrong direction... change my mind.
I doubt I will, but putting the badge aside, this is a premium car at a premium price. There are now dozens of electric cars on the market in the £30k range and under with real Range over 150 miles. Why shouldn’t one of the most accomplished ev manufacturers move up into a new market with a product that betters most competitors?

The Tesla comparison is difficult for any manufacturer, because of the sheer specification of the 3 for the money, but this car offers lots that the Tesla doesn’t. It also makes the various VAG offerings in this bracket look over priced and under achieving in my view.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It seems the UK is fast becoming the most expensive place to buy an EV. The ioniq 5 and EV6 both start at ~$44K US in Korea before their ~$11K EV incentive so about £32K before, and £24K after incentive.

Taking the lack of UK incentive aside, and sales tax differences that’s still an expensive boat journey. I suspect a lot more expensive than the boat to the US market 😉

·
Registered
284 Posts
It’s not just EVs though; my daughter is looking for a smallish ICE and the Kia Rio is the oldest looking but most expensive of the cars in its class that she’s looked at.

Even the Yaris hybrid is cheaper but fortunately she doesn’t like it; I don’t think I could spend any more time in the dealership being told that self charging hybrid is somehow wonderful and that the future is hydrogen!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have put down a deposit, not sure now unless you get the GTLINE S you don't even get a electric tailgate! and to equal my Stinger GT in spec I need to spend £50,000 plus :mad:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I doubt I will, but putting the badge aside, this is a premium car at a premium price. There are now dozens of electric cars on the market in the £30k range and under with real Range over 150 miles. Why shouldn’t one of the most accomplished ev manufacturers move up into a new market with a product that betters most competitors?

The Tesla comparison is difficult for any manufacturer, because of the sheer specification of the 3 for the money, but this car offers lots that the Tesla doesn’t. It also makes the various VAG offerings in this bracket look over priced and under achieving in my view.
Premium car? It’s a f’king Kia 😂 they need to remember the market that got them to where they are, or they’ll be left high and dry. BMW/Merc/Audi owners won’t want one, and the folks who traditionally buy Kia for value for money (and Kia used to be exceptional for this) will just buy MG instead.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Kia aren’t a premium brand. My wife’s broken e-Niro 4 was leased on value in spite of the fact it’s a Kia. I don’t see many signing up for them now they’re £400 ish a month.

Kia are just jumping on the oversized expensive SUV EV gravy train.

What the market needs for mass adoption is more medium sized hatchbacks at or around ICE money and as much as I hate them, medium sized SUVs. Still no one builds a mid to premium sector BEV estate.

Presumably this is close to the same dimensions as the Ioniq 5, which as Johnny Smith pointed out in his review of it, is a pig of a thing on country lanes and in carparks.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Premium car? It’s a f’king Kia 😂 they need to remember the market that got them to where they are, or they’ll be left high and dry. BMW/Merc/Audi owners won’t want one, and the folks who traditionally buy Kia for value for money (and Kia used to be exceptional for this) will just buy MG instead.
If you can call DS 3 premium, I don't see why the Kia can't be anymore. Personally, when it comes to EVs I'm starting to shift my attitude and put them next to at least VW. There are a lot of "luxury" EV features that aren't in the cheaper EVs (Nissan, PSA etc.). Does an Audi with 208 miles scream premium to you :sneaky:?

Reactions: Oli and TJEV

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you can call DS 3 premium, I don't see why the Kia can't be anymore. Personally, when it comes to EVs I'm starting to shift my attitude and put them next to at least VW. There are a lot of "luxury" EV features that aren't in the cheaper EVs (Nissan, PSA etc.). Does an Audi with 208 miles scream premium to you :sneaky:?
VW themselves would be the first to call out anyone calling them “premium”. In Germany they’re no more so than Ford or Opel, all for the masses.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts