Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my V2L lead from EVCables today

wanted a cable to use at home so I could leave the V2L adaptor in the car for use when out and about

The EVCables one came in at around £150 as I went for a 5m version rather than 1/2 meter. It seems really well built and is lot more rugged than the Hyundai/Kia V2L adaptor.

also it’s less than half the price of the Kia/Hyundai adaptor if your spec car didn’t come with it as standard

so it’s a thumbs up from me quality and price wise

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Plant Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks really good quality and pleased to have independent confirmation that it works on an Air model.
What connector did you go for at the load end? Single three pin, double three pin or Commando.
I got it with the commando on it. But took it straight off when it arrived as mine is wired directly back to the consumer unit via a box on the outside of the house and an rcb and breaker inside before the consumer unit.

Ac adapter Eyewear Electrical wiring Audio equipment Automotive tire

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@stageshoot , Glad you are happy with the V2L cable. Please share how you provided for isolation of the circuit within the house or is it a dedicated circuit? Have you used a change over switch which prevents the Grid and Car being live on the same circuit at the same time?
Currently it goes to a manual switch, Grid one side EV the other, so only one or the other can be connected at a time, Problem with this is when switching from Grid to EV there is a loss of power in the house for a few seconds while the changeover takes place in either direction. this will be resolved with a Solar Inverter and Small backup battery going forward, but for now the manual changeover works fine for us, and as its all break before make there is no danger of feeding back to the grid from the car. Also being an old 1930s house we have a proper earth rather than relying on grid systems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting, but how do you control the house usage so as to avoid overload?

Must say I was planning to be much less adventurous - just put a 13amp plug on the oil fired central heating controls so that we could switch to the car to keep the house warm during power cuts - seems to use little power as it only has a 3amp fuse in the current isolation switch.

House has earth/neutral via grid, anything else I should be concerned about?

Thank you

Chris

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, but how do you control the house usage so as to avoid overload?

Must say I was planning to be much less adventurous - just put a 13amp plug on the oil fired central heating controls so that we could switch to the car to keep the house warm during power cuts - seems to use little power as it only has a 3amp fuse in the current isolation switch.

House has earth/neutral via grid, anything else I should be concerned about?

Thank you

Chris
The car can output 3500w we are a low use house so would not exceed that in normal use unless over went on with washing machine and dishwasher So the rule of thumb is one Major plus normal house load and wait for that to finish before starting another. Has worked fine so far, Had it Kick out once when Vicky put Toaster on at same time as Washer and Nespresso machine. But just 5 secs to push button on connector to reset.

As for earth via grid, in that case I think you need a proper ground on the house for use when off grid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got my V2L lead from EVCables today

wanted a cable to use at home so I could leave the V2L adaptor in the car for use when out and about

The EVCables one came in at around £150 as I went for a 5m version rather than 1/2 meter. It seems really well built and is lot more rugged than the Hyundai/Kia V2L adaptor.

also it’s less than half the price of the Kia/Hyundai adaptor if your spec car didn’t come with it as standard

so it’s a thumbs up from me quality and price wise
I recently saw a post on Facebook page where the contributor had had problems releasing the EV Cables’ adapter from the car. He said he had tried all combinations of plug off/ plug on, car off/ car on but had to use the emergency release in the boot. I was wondering whether you had experienced this problem with either your EV Cables adapter or your Kia apapter?

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently saw a post on Facebook page where the contributor had had problems releasing the EV Cables’ adapter from the car. He said he had tried all combinations of plug off/ plug on, car off/ car on but had to use the emergency release in the boot. I was wondering whether you had experienced this problem with either your EV Cables adapter or your Kia apapter?
with mine as soon as you press the button and then press unlock on the car the cable releases

you need to follow that order. Button on cable to turn off then unlock car. And it released every time without fail

1 - 10 of 10 Posts