Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought one of evconnectors' granny cables, and tried plugging it into the ID.3.

After a few seconds of flashing white lights (comms), the ID.3 light turns a solid red, and that's the end.

A double-tap of the remote to unlock the cable, followed by unplugging and replugging, has the same result. Same with whatever other combinations of console and app input I can think of.

The evconnectors unit sits throughout with a single green light on (perhaps some faint lights in the panel next to it). There's no effect from hitting the 1 or 0 button.

Does anyone have any advice before I go back to them?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Do read the evconnectors manual, just possible it needs a reset. Something like unplug it from mains & car, press & hold the '0' button for 5 secs. Or maybe it's the '1' button. Won't harm to try both! Or maybe it has to be plugged in while you do this.
You should be able to do the setups below to choose the current to use; unit remembers hte last one you set, but if that was 13 or 16A, it will limit it back down to 10A for safety. Use 13 & 16 at your own dire risk! I speak from experience...

I've got mine beside me inside house. Plug into mains, all leds flash a few times, then settles down with 2 green LEDs on.
Press & Hold the 0 & 1 buttons at same time, hold down for 5 secs, should see one yellow led lit. Let go both buttons when you see this.
Press the 1 button (up arrow) twice, and the should get 3 yellow leds for the 10A setting. Plug into car should charge at 10A. And you can change the charge current on-the-fly by press & hold the 0 & 1 buttons (down & up arrows) simultaneously until the yellow leds light, then up or down increases/decreases the current.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent help - thanks.

There was no manual, and no links in the online store.

However, with the clue about holding 0 and 1 together, I checked ... As you described, except it defaulted to the 3rd yellow light. I backed it off to the lowest setting.

Then I plugged it into the car ... but still red. And a message on the dash to check the instructions :censored:

But while plugged in still, I went back to the charger and pressed 0 and 1. Without a pause, it kicked into life - green lights for the car & charger symbols, and both green and yellow for the lowest setting.

I've now got it running at 8A. And will ask for a manual tomorrow.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And then one extra thing...

Having disconnected the car, I've found that the charger nows displays 2 green LEDs at rest (one for power, one on charger symbol), even after disconnecting mains.

It looks like it is behaving the same, now it has been primed/reset.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Starting off with 3 yellow leds is the 10A, probably default. You have 6,8,10,13,16A to choose from. Dunno why you're having to reset it after plugging it in, but great that you can (somehow!) kick it into life. I've bought an ex-Zoe charger of I believe the same mfr (judging by front panel appearance) but haven't tested it yet. Should be able to see if I get the same as you do, maybe will be tomorrow, maybe day after, as I'm at the mo' doing detailed range/consumption/charging efficiency test on another EVSE.

It's known that VW do not follow the J1772 charging standard properly. This is considered a bug they'll have to fix. So far it's shown up as something like if you set a delayed charge, the car goes to sleep, too deep to wake up properly at the scheduled time. Or maybe it does wake up, but simply doesn't give out the correct response to the EVSE to persuade that to close the Contactor & start a charge. This could be consistent with what you're seeing. I charged my ID.3 ok to 100% yesterday on my wall-mounted Rolec-Viridian, I think this mode of immediate-charging is fine. If I see the same problem you have with my granny EVSE, I'll have my oscilloscope on it before you can say "knife" and see just what's going on.

Please post here if your next granny charge starts ok, whether the car was asleep when you started it, or whether the car had been woken up first. I've seen mentions that it goes into deep sleep after about 20 mins of inactivity. I think the filler cap opens wih just a press, not sure yet if there's any computer-controlled lock like most EVs have. Am still learning about this car!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The next charge started ok today. It looks like the box just needed a kick.

Evconnectors sent a PDF over. It looks like a single press of 1 would have been enough, though I'm sure I tried something that simple.

As the connector was not plugged into the port, I had to open the flap first ... which needs a double click on the remote, then a press on the flap. So the car wasn't in deep-sleep when I started the charge.

After 9 hours of charge, and a pause after it stopped at 80%, I went to check...

The charge indicator inside the flap was off, and the car was looking asleep. I used the app to turn on the pre-conditioning, and ... a while later ... clicks from car and charger, followed by a green light on the car, and the app confirmed preconditioning was in progress.

Looking promising today.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should say ... this bug is making me wary about fitting a Zappi charger just yet. Might stick to Granny for a while

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
The other bug I'm having fun with is trying to get wall EVSE to charge at 7kW for more than 20 minutes before the bl**dy ID.3 goes to sleep/something & slows the charge right down! Plug it in, was doing 23 mph charge fine. Come back a couple of hours later, it's charging at pathetic 3 mph, with 49% SOC! Target was 100%. So bugs in the 2,0 (0783/whatever) code I have in mine. Told me at start of charge it would finish by 8:30 p.m. At 10 p.m. still around 85% which was enough for my purposes, but I'd kicked it back into life 3 times by this stage !!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I should say ... this bug is making me wary about fitting a Zappi charger just yet. Might stick to Granny for a while
Yes, we've decided to stick to granny-charging until we hear that people are getting the ID3 to work ok with the reputable chargers

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,389 Posts
What are you all doing to your poor ID.3s?!

I plug mine into an OHME at home, it charges to the charge percentage ceiling I’ve set, at full speed apart from on one occasion when it decided it would charge at only 3.2 kW.

At my weekly destination I plug it into a VW granny charger, and it behaves the same albeit at 2.1 kW.

I use the We Connect ID App to remotely start the rest of the charge sometime in advance of my planned departure, or leave it going at the reduced charge rate all night to be ready for the morning.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Haven't got as far as trying anything so 21st-century as We Connect ID App ! Maybe that's my problem - I'm a dinosaur at heart? :)

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
67 Posts
Hi, is the official VW 3-pin charging cable reasonable value? I think it's 6m and believe £220. Would I be better off with a 3rd party cable if it's not used regularly (I don't have the ability to charge at home as no drive)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
It will probably default to charging at 10A, and I think if you set the car menu to Reduced charging rate, that will limit the current draw to 6A, so that pretty-much covers all options for 13A mains charging. The VW one is probably cheaper than the EV connectors one, I have no idea what the cable length is, but again unless you need the long one, then the VW item should be fine. 10A is about the most you should take from a long-duration charge, and 6A is far preferable (if time allows) as that's much less likely to overheat the domestic sockets that tend to be what's used.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
67 Posts
It will probably default to charging at 10A, and I think if you set the car menu to Reduced charging rate, that will limit the current draw to 6A, so that pretty-much covers all options for 13A mains charging. The VW one is probably cheaper than the EV connectors one, I have no idea what the cable length is, but again unless you need the long one, then the VW item should be fine. 10A is about the most you should take from a long-duration charge, and 6A is far preferable (if time allows) as that's much less likely to overheat the domestic sockets that tend to be what's used.
Great, thanks. Are the VW 3 pin chargers all the same do you happen to know? Just wary of ordering one from the dealer and getting one they have lying around from a GTE for instance? Realise I'm probably worrying over nothing...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Don't know for sure, but I'd expect it to be the same part number! No reason to change, GTe & ID.3 are both limited by the 13A figure. Both have Type-2 plug. Otoh maybe they've improved the internals a bit, newer chippery etc...
I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
67 Posts
Don't know for sure, but I'd expect it to be the same part number! No reason to change, GTe & ID.3 are both limited by the 13A figure. Both have Type-2 plug. Otoh maybe they've improved the internals a bit, newer chippery etc...
I wouldn't worry about it.
Great, thanks for the info and help.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,389 Posts
Great, thanks. Are the VW 3 pin chargers all the same do you happen to know? Just wary of ordering one from the dealer and getting one they have lying around from a GTE for instance? Realise I'm probably worrying over nothing...
I use the same charger as supplied with my GTE and e-Golf on my ID.3 when away from home, it works fine.

Any Type 2 granny charger should work as well.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
67 Posts
sounds like I’ll be ok. I only intend to use it a few times a year when visiting far flung places so should be fine.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Far flung places tend not to have suitable 13A sockets handy! I carry a heavy duty 30m extension around as well. Cheapo ones are to be avoided at all costs! Properly designed & thought-out ones like these seem to get recommended in here:
Electric vehicle leads

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,108 Posts
Hearsay but I think that you are right to worry.

The salesman I bought our ID3 from said, when I ordered a granny charger to go with it, that he originally thought that there was meant to be one with the first ID3 that he sold. So he grabbed one off a GTE that they had in stock and gave it to his ID 3 customer.

It didn't work! And he had to order the ID3 one specially.

He couldn't imagine why. And neither can I.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts