Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
?... It's difficult to get any specific figures out of OLEV but if you're interested a FOI request or letter from your MP might obtain more details
Thanks Kevin, I think this debate has come back to the discussions we were having several months ago - about 'representation and participation'. As you will recall, I have been a strong advocated engaging with OLEV and SMMT, but my initiatives were countered by the emergence of EVDA as the owner/drivers focal point/ mouthpiece. However, Call-for-Evidence apart, I see no initiative coming from that body?
I could list quite a few issues that could/should be tabled - starting with several concerns over the design and specification of the infrastructure.
From the point of view of EV Matters, I will step up - if doors are opening; however, I know that any preemptive move will be shot down in fora such as Speak EV (worse still on Leaf Talk)!
If I'm honest I think the whole private car BEV initiative is faltering and OLEV may well scale it back and focus on commercial vehicles and alternative technologies, such as Hydrogen.
There may just be a sequel to "Who Killed the Electric Car"!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I take it Brian that you would be representing your own views to these bodies and not claiming that you represent anyone other than just yourself?

That is really important that we don't have individuals claiming they represent EV drivers as a whole. That would be a misrepresentation and if that happened I would fight against that determinedly.

Clearly you are keen that we have a representation. I agree with you on that. Can I suggest then that instead of trying to go it alone that you get more involved with the EVDA and encourage them to do more? I have tried to do that myself but so far without any success. We need a united position before we go off half-cocked and ruin any chance of ever being taken seriously again.

It is important that whoever approaches OLEV and other bodies that they do it with a clear mandate from a good number of EV drivers behind them if they are to expect to be taken seriously. That is why I feel that the EVDA-UK is the correct way to do this but we need more members and we need a committee that has the time and resources to be active and proactive.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a lot of misleading waffle published about a proposed, draft law sunsetting CHAdeMO based ...
However either via OLEV or TEN-T it's clear public money is installing these chargers.
I think there was some quite inappropriate scare-mongering on this subject. Some indeed projected as the vindication of having a Tesla network. It was all quite implausible.
OLEV must know that the deployed equipment must support the majority of users. To alienate the first adopters by cutting off their charging network, would snuff-out the whole EV initiative. CCS may be the 'target' for EV connection - but the deployed system must be multi-standard and the evolution must be balanced.
As you know the Ten-T programme to connect the ports is led by Nissan, with BMW as part of the consortium. You can be sure that in the bidding phase there was no consideration of CHAdeMO being scaled back! It will be multi-standard, for sure.
We need the debate back on track (other threads) - dealing with infrastructure availability/reliability/evolution!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take it Brian that you would be representing your own views to these bodies and not claiming that you represent anyone other than just yourself?.
As I said before (and above) I am not taking any initiatives.
I've have given my full support to EVDA and indeed have submitted documents to create an EVDA vision and strategy. EVDA have to decide on how to proceed and who's involvement they require.
I know you have volunteered your services FOC - you may indeed have an elected/appointed role, nothing has been published
If you can open the door of OLEV and SMMT - that it all fine for me.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI - I am not in any way an officer or official of the EVDA-UK - yet ;)
I understand that - but you are an applicant? I'm not stirring anything - but I assume that is why you have again challenged what I might do?
If you are appointed, I know that you will be stalwart advocate of EVDA and elsewhere. That would be progress.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have not applied to be a committee member but becoming a committee member requires the membership to vote anyway so it would require the approval of the membership.

I did ask if the committee would permit me to be a full-time volunteer, to set up a permanent office and to professionally run the EVDA-UK office and represent the EVDA-UK at events. I have also offered to fund the EVDA-UK activities for at least a year but I have pre-conditions on all of this. I wiithdrew my offer on further reflection given my history and the general lack of response from the EVDA committee.

I do not want to be on the committee but I am happy to be a volunteer and to offer funding under certain conditions. I have detailed my proposal on the EVDA-UK forum for discussion.

For the record... I will always challenge anyone that tries to represent the EV driving community that does not have a mandate from that community. This is nothing to do with the EVDA-UK. You, nor I, nor anyone, can represent anyone except ourselves as individuals as we do not have a mandate from anyone else in support of our views and opinions. We cannot represent our own personal views to OLEV or anyone else as if they are the views of EV drivers in general. That requires a mandate which the EVDA-UK has from its members.

I hope that helps.

Edited to more accurately reflect what happened when I offered to volunteer and fund EVDA.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We cannot represent our own personal views to OLEV or anyone else as if they are the views of EV drivers in general. That requires a mandate which the EVDA-UK has from its members. I hope that helps.
Paul, I'm fine with that and frankly I'm disappointed that EVDA couldn't find a way to channel your energy and enthusiasm. I would correct you in the statement that only EVDA can represent - 'EV Drivers in general'. that is quite incorrect. EVDA has only a mandate to represent its members?
Of course if EVDA grew and we could say that EVDA represented a majority of EV Drivers - its mandate would stronger, though not necessarily exclusive!
No matter all these semantics - get your mind in gear for your trip tomorrow! Very best of luck!

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I have asked if the committee would permit me to be a full-time volunteer, to set up a permanent office and to professionally run the EVDA-UK office and represent the EVDA-UK at events. I have also offered to fund the EVDA-UK activities for at least a year but I have pre-conditions on all of this. My offer was rejected.
<EVDA-UK Hat On>
Paul - you have asked that I not quote you directly, and have amended your previous post to remove inaccuracies, so I have edited this one to remove my response to the original post.

Just to be clear, in mid December you made a very generous offer to assist the EVDA-UK, and I asked you to put forward a written proposal. You later withdrew your offer.

The original plan was to have the next EVDA-UK meeting at the end of January, and I had pencilled in the weekend of 24th Jan for it, but EVAS and Robert and David's trip rather got in the way. I am about to launch a Doodle poll for the next meeting and would ask that anyone that has issues with the way the group is running please either attend that meeting, or send written input to be discussed in the meeting if they are unable to attend.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Hi guys, moved this to it's own discussion as it seems more appropriate.
Please also be mindful to not reproduce personal communications (private) on the public forum please. Thank you. :)

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EVDA have now called a meeting - to be held, online, on a suitable Sunday evening.
However, you need to register for EVDA membership - to get invited.
Clearly the more partipation the organisation gets - the more effective it can become?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Well perhaps I am just overly frustrated. I have tried myself to start an EV drivers association a couple of times but because of my history I had no support. When you Matt started the EVDA-UK I was thrilled because I saw it as finally something was happening even if I was not involved. But then nothing happened. You formed the association, formed a committee and have had meetings but no plan published to give us hope that you were actually doing anything. You did respond to the OLEV call for information but that is it.

I am sorry to everyone else but I find the whole EVDA a total fiasco if they don't have time or funds to actually do anything. They are volunteers and clearly are well intended and I acknowledge that but inaction is still inaction regardless of the reasons.

I cannot continue to give my support to a talking club that pretends to be trying to represent EV drivers and so they no longer have my support. I will reconsider once they have published a plan of action and I know more of what they intend to do and see them actually doing something. I may change my mind then.

Sorry.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those who have an understanding of the need for a 'users group' need to give EVDA a chance. That includes participating in meetings and ensuring the organisation has the right structure and correct objectives. If EVDA didn't establish a viable structure and/or fell short in achieving its objectives - then it would become history.
Fortunately we are not at that point.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have now asked to be removed from the members list of the EVDA so count me out of this discussion.

Sorry, but until they show they are more than just a talking club I am out. I will rejoin once they actually do something!

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Can I please ask everyone - if you think that there is something the EVDA-UK should be doing, attend the meetings and ask for it to be done (ideally offer to help out doing it too).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts