Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I've placed a post on the EVDA Forum Website! Amongst other comments, I've indicated that if this issue is raised within EVDA, then a response from the responsible agency would be made available.
@brian orr I don't really understand what you are saying here, sorry.

Are you saying that EVDA are not already discussing issues like UK EVSE and Highlands Council?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
are you an EVDA Member and have you actually read my post on the EVDA Forum?
No, I'm not a EVDA member and I can't realistically participate while ZCW is active in this space. I know several other Speak EV participants have similar conflicts that prevent membership. If you are going to post in the Speak EV forum can you at least ensure that non-members understand your post?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I really don't understand how someone who regularly exhorts EVDA to action - can at the same time speak in the terms, as above.
I have championed the cause of EV drivers for many years and was instrumental in the formation of EVDA... clearly my charitable and commercial activities have the potential to conflict with my membership of any organisation and that's why I operate outside of most 'common interest groups'.

That said however, I spend a great deal of my time encouraging EV drivers to join EVDA including those who never use social media (including several at BEVoB yesterday). Personally, I think we need a strong EV drivers voice in the UK and I hope EVDA will become that in time.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
This sums up for me the issue with the EVDA at the moment. No one is doing any PR or promotion. It is also a "closed shop" with the forum only open to members.

The EVDA with not make any impact until it has a significant membership of members that are both online and offline and at the moment nothing is being done to get them.

For example... AGM is coming due very soon. They haven't announced a date not put in place procedures to allows us, the members, to vote on the committee membership. The first committee was appointed when it was formed but from now on the committee is voted in our out by the membership. Just one example of the lack of engagement.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Actually I think diversity is a strength, not a weakness especially as this is a community and discussion forum... not a formal association our organisation. We all have our likes and dislikes and our favorite topics and styles of discussion.

Where i think diversity is a weakness is in the official representation and associations. In spite of the slow start of the EVDA it is emerging as a potential association for ev drivers and it would be a shame if it was seen as stagnant and another organisation started. I would much prefer to see EVDA become successful rather than for a death which it stands to do if it doesn't start to engage drivers.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Can I make one general suggestion? We try and rationalise the forums. Much as I prefer the Google plus platform to here (the software is much much better) I now post primarily here and haven't posted at all in the EVDA forum. Likewise I've given up on Leaf talk. So as a starting point let's push people towards this forum, and with a democratic bent in mind, encourage the EVDA to present a sensible and rational voice for EV and prospective EV drivers.
I completely agree with you @Paul Newport and wish we could all focus our efforts on the Speak EV forum where I feel sure EVDA could undertake the majority of their business :)

With 417 members I believe Speak EV already represents a significant number of EV owners :D

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Brian, yet again you go off on one without representing the facts to others. I would appreciate it if you kept private discussions between me and the EVDA just that... private. People do not know what has been discussed and it seems from your response neither do you.

If you actually want to help the EVDA as you claim to want to do then I suggest that you stop trying to pick fights and criticising. You are a committee member and yet you are more than happy to create barriers between you and other members and prospective members.

What you are doing is not the way to get members or to encourage others to contribute.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
OK, I've deleted the PM!
@brian orr unfortunately, I received your obnoxious PM via email... you need to REALLY rethink your approach and your attitude towards the many people on this forum trying to make a difference. I do not wish to communicate with you further, please ignore my posts and do NOT send me a PM again.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You might have you terms of reference Brian but if you go about alienating the very people you are trying to help then I do not see the benefit.

I have no idea how successful you are being because everything to do with the EVDA is being done behind closed doors. However, I doubt your TOR includes turning people away from joining our getting involved which you seem to be highly skilled at.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Hey folks, I've been offline all day today and didn't see this in time to try and can it. I think moderators may be required sooner than I expected they might!

Please again everyone try not to get personal to each other, I think we all generally want the same thing – EV success – even if we don't all go about it the same way.

Just to say that the EVDA is welcome here, as are discussions about and concerning it. Although some EVDA matters are surely best discussed internally, and I certainly don't feel anyone should expect the EVDA to conduct their business here, it's up to them to do what they do where they do it.

For what it's worth I did volunteer for the EVDA to have a forum here of their own if they'd like (a sub forum such as the GM forums etc) but they (in the form of @Matt Beard) gracefully declined. I for one can completely understand why they would like to remain independent of any particular forum/community. I'm sure there will be many more in the future, and why would they narrow their field/appeal when they can be universal?

I've always said my only goal here is to try and create the best forum community for EV owners I can muster, and it will never suit everyone and all tastes.

I don't want to run a club, I don't want to form committees, and don't want to be an EV lobbyist or activist of any particular kind.

I would more than welcome people using Speak EV to organise their own activities (such as the track day currently being discussed) groups and clubs and I may well do some of my own little events in the future... but we're a forum/community, not a club, so EVDA and all other clubs are welcome to speak here if they wish, and equally welcome not to!

Thanks everyone, apologies for not being around to speak up sooner.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Please again everyone try not to get personal to each other, I think we all generally want the same thing – EV success – even if we don't all go about it the same way.
I have to apologise if people think that I have got personal with Brian. I try not to, (honest!), but I am afraid that I am just responding to his personal comments about me and my private communications with the EVDA. I find it absolutely incredible that Brian, a member of the EVDA committee, is willing to discuss EVDA private communications on a public forum. Moreover, it is even more unbelievable that he has the details of what he is disclosing incorrect!

So, IMO, if the EVDA wants to encourage new members to join then surely it is only likely to happen if the committee members behave appropriately in public?

Now Brian has let the cat out of the bag, so to speak, that I have been in discussion with the EVDA committee regarding what help I might be able to offer, so I will bring you all up to date with my proposals in a new thread.

Just to say that the EVDA is welcome here, as are discussions about and concerning it. Although some EVDA matters are surely best discussed internally, and I certainly don't feel anyone should expect the EVDA to conduct their business here, it's up to them to do what they do where they do it.

For what it's worth I did volunteer for the EVDA to have a forum here of their own if they'd like (a sub forum such as the GM forums etc) but they (in the form of @Matt Beard) gracefully declined. I for one can completely understand why they would like to remain independent of any particular forum/community. I'm sure there will be many more in the future, and why would they narrow their field/appeal when they can be universal?
Paul, why do you need EVDA permission to create a forum here? I would strongly support a separate forum for discussion of the EVDA here. It wouldn't be an official forum or mouthpiece of the EVDA but surely that is not the purpose of this forum. It would be a forum for us all to discuss all issues involving the EVDA. Members, non-members, pro and anti. The EVDA would surely benefit from reading the comments and if they wanted to respond then it would be a great way for them to interact and engage with their members but particularly non-members that might be interested in joining.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's an interesting thread this. The EV technology may have progressed, and there are some new names joining the fray but power hungry Empire Building continues as if it were 2010. I have distanced myself a little from the EVDA as a result of some of the comments on this and other threads, even those that are now deleted.

- Sounds never travels far in a vacuum
- Sometimes it's what is not said that speaks volumes.

Reactions: Kevin Sharpe

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Paul, why do you need EVDA permission to create a forum here? I would strongly support a separate forum for discussion of the EVDA here. It wouldn't be an official forum or mouthpiece of the EVDA but surely that is not the purpose of this forum. It would be a forum for us all to discuss all issues involving the EVDA. Members, non-members, pro and anti. The EVDA would surely benefit from reading the comments and if they wanted to respond then it would be a great way for them to interact and engage with their members but particularly non-members that might be interested in joining.
I don't feel the EVDA is big, important or frequently discussed enough to warrant a forum on the "regular" merit. Add that to the fact don't want one either and it's not something I can justify to myself.

·
Registered
167 Posts
@Paul_Churchley @brian orr please belt up, take your squabble offline and resolve it privately, how do you think your behaviour looks to new EV or potential EV owners visiting for the forum for the first time.

If it were me, I would look at the pair of your fighting and think, I want nothing to do with this community.

my 2c worth
I think this is being a little unkind to @Paul_Churchley. Perhaps I have got blinkers on but I only see aggro coming in one direction.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts