Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think this is the worst mess I have ever seen ... amazing what is survivable without serious injury, but it appears that the driver and any passengers still had the energy to flee the scene.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: steveharvey2001

·
Registered
80 Posts
Par for the course for Stourbridge - the ring road is a mecca for chavved-up Corsas and Civics trying to race each other whilst thraping their pathetic 1.0l engines. The speed cameras were turned off years ago - West Midlands Police even publically announced it!

Those chargers are were located in a car park adjacent to quite a sharp bend on the road - it was only a matter of time, really.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,840 Posts
I will never cease to wonder why such incidents are described as 'lucky escapes' rather than 'unlucky accidents'.

Anyways .... if it was a Polar it'd still be saying 'available' on the map, because when you call it in to the [amusingly named] 'helpline' and say 'hey, this charger is out of action because there is a car parked on top of it and it's no longer the same shape' they'll say 'only our technicians can determine if it is faulty or not, they might be able to reboot it'.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I will never cease to wonder why such incidents are described as 'lucky escapes' rather than 'unlucky accidents'.

Anyways .... if it was a Polar it'd still be saying 'available' on the map, because when you call it in to the [amusingly named] 'helpline' and say 'hey, this charger is out of action because there is a car parked on top of it and it's no longer the same shape' they'll say 'only our technicians can determine if it is faulty or not, they might be able to reboot it'.
"It must be working OK as I can see a vehicle charged on it yesterday!"

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just imagine how shocked someone would be if they were charging at the time, and think of how you'd write the insurance claim! o_O

It's not much different to people who have a house next to a road which has a sharp bend. I've often seen photos of cars embedded into houses. I recall one such homeowner that built a reinforced concrete stub wall, which was disguised with a normal fence in front.

Anyway, I'd expect to see more of this damage in the future from errant drivers who reverse or drive into a rapid charger. I'm surprised how little engineering thought is given to prevent (accidental or malicious) impacts to £30k+ pieces of kit. Almost all the ones I've seen are protected by a couple of small metal tubes concreted into the ground. I think the best ones used the same posts you see in front of stores to deter ramraiding.

In the photo, imagine the result if they had impacted the transformer. When that's rebuilt, I'd advise them to review the impact protection. How about steel I-Beams with 2metres sticking out of the ground, and 2 metres slotted into a tube? Much cheaper to replace than a couple of rapid chargers! Could even make a feature out of it with a roof shelter .
https://www.reddit.com/r/bollardsonly/comments/6rtsmh

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,469 Posts
How about steel I-Beams with 2metres sticking out of the ground, and 2 metres slotted into a tube?
I often wonder whether such things would encourage claims from the drivers of vehicles that hit them as being unnecessarily robust and causing excessive damage to the vehicle and potentially its occupants. :unsure: It must be very difficult designing something to protect against everything from a bicycle to an HGV.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,700 Posts
It must be very difficult designing something to protect against everything from a bicycle to an HGV.
In that particular Stourbridge location the impact came at high speed from a main road behind the units, over a footpath and down a grassy embankment. The only defence against that would be motorway standard Armco to stop stolen speeding cars careering 50 yards off that main road.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

This happened to an Engie fast charger in Halifax, West Yorkshire a few years ago. I think they said vehicle collision too but could have been deliberate. There seems to be little attempt to protect the chargers but perhaps the cost of protection exceeds the typical damage.

·
Registered
485 Posts
View attachment 148112

This happened to an Engie fast charger in Halifax, West Yorkshire a few years ago. I think they said vehicle collision too but could have been deliberate. There seems to be little attempt to protect the chargers but perhaps the cost of protection exceeds the typical damage.
Calderdale council really should have done their homework, that car park is like a low rent fast and furious meet up most Friday and Saturday nights. I’m sure some lowered, 10 year old Corsa with crap neon took one hell of a beating when it power slid in to the Engie charger.

All joking aside, it’s also in a badly lit part of a large car park and would not be my choice for after dark charging either.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
It's not much different to people who have a house next to a road which has a sharp bend. I've often seen photos of cars embedded into houses. I recall one such homeowner that built a reinforced concrete stub wall, which was disguised with a normal fence in front.
House not far from us is on a junction/bend that used to be notorious for cars leaving the road. They have a front fence that is made from heavy duty RSJs. The vertical posts are steel I beams about a a foot wide, with a hefty bit of rectangular steel tube welded across the top:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts