Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf e+
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This was my poor leaf Wednesday morning... My wife took it to work, and not long after leaving it popped up “Service EV System” - she mistook it for the fact that the service was coming up in a couple weeks and it continued to drive fine, until she got to work - where it then flatly refused to power off! Dealership said it should not be driven further and be recovered...

Unusual right? Generates raised eyebrows - including at the dealership it was recovered to - the break from the norm from where they normally don’t power on! Numerous things tried, but it looks like it’s going to power off then immediately goes back to ready to drive state again. The message was always “When parked apply parking brake” - but this was actuating on/off fine so unlikely to be the relay or handbrake control bulletins which are known.

My local dealer is being helpful and sympathetic - but it’s now a co-operation with higher Nissan support so will have to wait and see! Hoping it won’t be too long, as having a manual car after not driving one for >4 years now suddenly feels clunky and complicated!

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Bad luck, but you’re not alone. Temperature and snow might be conspiring to leak from under the screen to a set of relays that get stuck in the “on” position.good thing yours is under warranty!

·
Registered
Leaf e+
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah is yours in for repairs too then?

We have not had any snow, or any flooding on the south coast, but sure wetter weather in general could be a factor! It actually threw an I-key message a week prior but went away next start-up so figured it’s one more software bug!

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
634 Posts
Bad luck, but you’re not alone. Temperature and snow might be conspiring to leak from under the screen to a set of relays that get stuck in the “on” position.good thing yours is under warranty!
Hmm interesting!

This is the third time I’ve heard about a screen on a 40 leaf having a chunk of sealant missing causing a relay box to go swimming.

Does anyone have any idea where this relay box is?

I may check mine is dry!

This seems to be a common fault, if they don’t play ball I would point out that this seems to be a semi common occurrence!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
On the previous model this was the "body control module" which is behind the glove box on RHD cars. I guess that it's the same on the later cars as well. Perhaps the robot that applies the sealant to the screen hasn't been reprogrammed yet? :rolleyes: :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
On the previous model this was the "body control module" which is behind the glove box on RHD cars. I guess that it's the same on the later cars as well. Perhaps the robot that applies the sealant to the screen hasn't been reprogrammed yet? :rolleyes: :unsure:
Robot? Pretty sure it’s a bored looking bloke (I toured the Leaf assembly line ~ 5 years ago)

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
I just checked, almost seven years ago. Time flies.....!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
Robot? Pretty sure it’s a bored looking bloke (I toured the Leaf assembly line ~ 5 years ago)
And that's the British disease in action, it's considered more cost effective to employ a human being rather than invest in a machine. In turn this reduces productivity metrics (total output remains the same but divided by one more employee). Also when the French need to close a plant they'll point to the lack of investment in machines and the low cost of laying off British workers compared to France and shut the British factory.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s all repaired and happier now! Dealer said it was a ‘wiring issue’ in a relay box... Did not specify or know which when I asked for clarification!

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
634 Posts
And that's the British disease in action, it's considered more cost effective to employ a human being rather than invest in a machine. In turn this reduces productivity metrics (total output remains the same but divided by one more employee). Also when the French need to close a plant they'll point to the lack of investment in machines and the low cost of laying off British workers compared to France and shut the British factory.
THE UNIONS WILL HEAR OF THIS! 😂🤣😉

·
Registered
Leaf e+
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That was short lived! It stopped powering off again!

So back at the dealer and we were given a Qashquai which seemingly had not even had the PDI done on it as the service guy came back with bundles of protective plastic wrapping, and it only 3 miles on the clock!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,120 Posts
I vomited at the word "Qashquai"! So mainstream!

Nice to hear Nissans warranty dept fix the goods!

·
Registered
Leaf e+
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still without our Leaf :( - After escalating this apparently they are waiting on Nissan GB for further instruction after providing full diagnostics. It's been a couple of times now they feel confident the issue is resolved for it to return.
I've been assured it's not anything to do with water ingress which others have apparently been plagued with recently.

I've now been switched into another Leaf now, so that's something! Qashquai was spendy at £20 for 200 miles...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the same issue (and also had a 'no power' issue). I have recorded all the details on the thread...

The car went to the garage a few days ago - still not heard much.

Will let you know the outcome!

·
Registered
Leaf e+
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I gave it to them when it went in the first time, but they’ve not asked for it.

Had a call this morning - still not heard back from Nissan UK with data upload, but they replaced a relay and more confident of fix, but will be doing more road testing this week. Will hear more Thurs

·
Registered
Leaf e+
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not terribly far off your story @driving14 - we collected the car Saturday after they were confident in 100 miles of driving it was fixed, only for it to error the same way again less than 1 mile down the road from the dealer!

After a prompt return, we were put back into loan Leaf. Service advisor was lost for words, will have to see what next steps are next week.

I’m still thinking it’s water related given it has happened after a deluge of rain both times, but eugh, just crazy.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Both very similar stories.

I think that it's the 12V circuit. So it could be the 12V battery or the DC-DC converter.
That's where I would start.

It could also be the body control unit which went haywire because of a water leak somewhere on the windscreen.
This is an old defect though and it would be shameful of Nissan if they hadn't fixed it on the Leaf40.

In both cases you will get key system errors, but it's not the key.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thought I'd update on this... Still don't have my car back, and still driving around in the dealers e+ Accenta...

They are replacing the body control module, discovered after another car was recovered to the same dealer with the same fault - but has water ingress to this module (but mine is dry as a bone).

Part has to come from Japan, and still after month has no shipping date. Seems farcical given it's been gone for so long and the darn thing is built in this country... Lease company seemingly don't care when I escalated to them, so I guess I just have to appreciate adding miles to the dealers car?

·
Banned
367 Posts
Thought I'd update on this... Still don't have my car back, and still driving around in the dealers e+ Accenta...

They are replacing the body control module, discovered after another car was recovered to the same dealer with the same fault - but has water ingress to this module (but mine is dry as a bone).

Part has to come from Japan, and still after month has no shipping date. Seems farcical given it's been gone for so long and the darn thing is built in this country... Lease company seemingly don't care when I escalated to them, so I guess I just have to appreciate adding miles to the dealers car?
Well shame on Nissan for not preventing this known defect.
This was a known risk.

Make sure to ask what they are doing to prevent the issue from happening again.
Nissan should issue a recall and give the body control module some protection before this becomes expensive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts