Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good people,

I've had my '16 GTE for 9 months now and really enjoying the driving experience, and charging, compared to my old Porsche Cayman! I cycle all over London and can't stand breathing in muck so decided to move on up and do my best for an electric that I can drive as normal if I ever get stuck.

So, I get back to my car after a late night charge using mains power and a long RCD extension cable (made specifically for vehicle charging) to find it stopped at 14 miles range, and kaput. NB. I have successfully charged this way dozens of times so this was a surprise.

The car was stuck in park, the charging cable was locked in with no lights available at the front, unable to release the cable via unlocking and locking the remote, as per normal operation.

I couldn't get the car to start, and every imaginable error code
Error : Hybrid System. Stop!
Faut : electric parking brake.
Error : Range
12v battery low
.... you get the idea...
Battery State of charge was 0% so

- <dash video

I spent the next day checking all the fuses, even swapped a new battery in (still for it STILL to say 12v battery low...on a brand new battery) and then gradually realised this was beyond my hands-on-optimistic DIY approach, arranged for it to be towed to the VW garage as it's still under warranty.

The car was towed (after finding it the GTE was stuck in Park mode, with a flashing P), after the tow truck guy found a yellow plastic tab shaped like a sword, to push in, which freed the gearbox to neutral for towing. Good tip!

Interestingly this forced the windows open and didn't allow the car to be locked... not sure what that's about?

VW took a quick look and said it may be 'as simple as pushing a reset on the HV electrical system' but I'll have to wait until March 11th when they have an available slot to find out. And no courtesy car.

I will update in due course. But I'm principally sharing this information as I found many helpful tips on this site when I was troubleshooting, so hope it might be consequently of some use to others in the future.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In warranty, 2 week wait and no courtesy sounds pretty shoddy to me. You should get on the live chat on the VW site and get their customer service colleagues working!

·
Registered
781 Posts
I've had this slew of error codes come up after the 12V batt went flat. It was fixed by clearing codes on several modules using an OBD-II scan tool.

However be prepared to have the diagnosis take a long time - VW do not have the technicians available in the UK and have to call Germany. They ended up loaning me a brand new GTE while mine was being fixed. Call VW Customer Services and speak to them - they're generally quite helpful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So an update:

After 2.5 weeks wait, I got a call with an update from the VW techs.

They still can't figure out how to remove the charging plug, which is still attached to the front of the vehicle with the 13a cable. It's sitting there, hanging out!!

They said there is 'one HV technician' in the whole of the London area, and none of the three surrounding garages could help! They have been on the phone to the tech team and are still unable to fix it. But, they have managed to charge the battery (how, I asked?) by going direct to the battery terminals.

They have declined a courtesy car twice now, so I have complained to customer care and asked to escalate the problem.

Could be another month without a car!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Absolutely unacceptable that you are without a car for so long. Escalate it to CS and they should resolve it...and ask for a loaner GTE and not a Polo!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, did they resolve this issue for you? I have the same problem on a 2016.

“reset on the HV electrical system” did they say this can be done by a button or needs to be done by Volkswagen?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I complained with VW and they have provided a courtesy Passat GTE, practically brand new. Interestingly the hybrid performance is much worse than the GTE.

I still haven't had a resolve with the fix, so am unable to advise, PaulP.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Glad that they've got you in something equivalent...it will take them some time but in the meantime enjoy putting miles on someone else's car, I guess!

I actually found the Mk7.5 GTEs (which all Passat GTEs are, IIRC) to be more refined that my Mk7 GTE. They definitely use electric more than the engine and the combination of electric and petrol in acceleration is a little smoother -- though not a massive difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, 4 months after, I've been happily racking up the miles in the courtesy Passat GTE (which has a more refined feel - agree with you @tom66)

They shipped the faulty car to Milton Keynes HQ, and unbelievably, still couldn't find out what was wrong with it. Something must have gone completely kaput in an untraceable fashion. They're done trying to fix it, so VW are offering to buy back the car now, and after showing them my invoice, they have matched what I paid - 1 year ago (good thing I did market research and got a good deal back then!). Which is nice!

PaulP - any news on your fix?

So. New car! GTE 7.5 - or something else? hmmmm

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Brilliant opportunity to go all electric if the range suits your needs.
Fantastic for use in London and you are improving your bit to save the plant even further !.
They are offering 48 hour test drives in the e.Golf right now, chance to try before you buy !.
Be quick, I think it only has a couple of weeks left to go.
You could drop nicely onto a pre-reg / demo model if you shop around.
Win - win in my book !.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Blimey, they've had you in a loaner for 4 months? I'd enjoy putting miles on someone else's car. Road trip to Europe??

I thought the 2 months in various loaners for my GTE was a long time.

Crazy how they can't find the fault. Immediately to me it looks like a CANBUS/gateway problem. Tesla's can have the same issue when one module on the CAN bus goes down, it causes about 100 error codes because suddenly the car can't talk to any of the modules. Generally it's found by isolating one module or part of the bus at a time until the faults reduce...

I'd look at an ID3 or Kona EV, depends on what you want. If you could stretch the budget, Tesla Model 3?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brilliant opportunity to go all electric if the range suits your needs.
Fantastic for use in London and you are improving your bit to save the plant even further !.
They are offering 48 hour test drives in the e.Golf right now, chance to try before you buy !.
Be quick, I think it only has a couple of weeks left to go.
You could drop nicely onto a pre-reg / demo model if you shop around.
Win - win in my book !.
Yes! I am so tempted with a full electric, which has really been my dream for years. I'd like something with 200 miles of range as the fairly frequent trips to the coast for kitesurfing will easily eat up 130 miles of range. This would take the eGolf, i3, Zoe out of consideration. I also think when you pass that 200 mile range, the residual value will be much higher in the future (if you sell in 5 years where everything has 300+ range)

Thing is...I'm buying a house at the moment, off street parking...but that's not cheap either!

Am considering all options (including buying another GTE) at present. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Blimey, they've had you in a loaner for 4 months? I'd enjoy putting miles on someone else's car. Road trip to Europe??

I thought the 2 months in various loaners for my GTE was a long time.

Crazy how they can't find the fault. Immediately to me it looks like a CANBUS/gateway problem. Tesla's can have the same issue when one module on the CAN bus goes down, it causes about 100 error codes because suddenly the car can't talk to any of the modules. Generally it's found by isolating one module or part of the bus at a time until the faults reduce...

I'd look at an ID3 or Kona EV, depends on what you want. If you could stretch the budget, Tesla Model 3?
Yes - they said they still didn't know the problem, and they've replaced many items already. Brake servo, all sorts. All happened during a charge. Wierd.

I have been really imressed with VW's customer service - polite, timely and ultimately very helpful. I've ended up doing nearly 3,000 miles in the hire car (have been on a music tour around the UK) which has been very useful. The Passat GTE is a motorway muncher.

I'm told, when they ultimately do fix the Golf, they will drive it for 1-2,000 miles, to root out every possible problem, and make sure it is completely fixed, before declaring it sale-worthy. That is really reassuring, and very impressive.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,470 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts