Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally think the show is pretty good. There are 5 seasons available on Amazon, and many other bits and pieces appear to be available on youtube. They try hard to bring out what they like about the vehicles, and what the criteria are for judgment, and sometimes they have to vote in ways they don't fully like, in order to stay with the criteria they have stated. Normally I'm up for challenging assumptions about Tesla's claimed wonderfulness, but their approach to this particular comparison offended my sense of fairness and what I like about driving in general.

The shows generally involve taking very cool (but usually somewhat affordable) vehicles out on the open roads and really letting their hair down and seeing how the cars do. Unlike most or all of the other comparisons I have watched them do, for this one they insisted on confining the vehicles to a large city and keeping the vehicles basically at city speeds. I understand that BEVs still need a few more years to get even better range, but it was painful to watch them do this and avoid evaluating the vehicles by taking them on the open road, as they would for any other vehicle, including the one vehicle that the Model 3 kind of targets (BMW 3 series).

So, they concluded that the Bolt was better given the criteria of the comparison, and given the criteria of the comparison, for all I know, I suppose that could be argued, but it's not my point. My point is that the overall framing of the episode was, in my view, incompetent.

I'm hoping someone can talk some sense into them (it's otherwise I think a well-done show and everyone makes mistakes). They allude to Tesla hype and fans and such in a way that makes me empathize with them a bit (some, but not all, Tesla fans are a pain in the neck) but I'm hoping someone can get across to them that not all objections to this terrible episode can be dismissed as Tesla sycophants, investors and come-lately EV fanatics getting riled up. I think a constructive way to approach this will be to take a Model 3 out on the open roads and compare it properly to a BMW 3-series fossil fuel burner, and one or two others. I just want to see a proper look at some of these BEVs, and put to bed the false narrative of 200+ EPA mile BEVs as suitable only for a stop-and-go commute.

I do think they are on record with at least one more fair-minded look at the Model S, a long time ago, though I haven't gone back to listen to it closely.

Everyday Driver
Starring Paul Schmucker, Todd Deeken
Episode 1, season 3

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Do you really mean 2018 ? If so, it's all irrelevant. Nearly Two years old possibly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
a bit of clarification -

It's not Top Gear or the like - in a way the opposite - it's just a couple of guys methodically going through different cars usually that are fun to drive and not outrageously expensive. They do have fun with it, and once in awhile they color outside the lines, but that's the basic thing. Much less hoopla and entertainment, much more focus on trying to convey the nuances, usually from inside the cabin as they drive, of what they like or dislike about all aspects (including price, handling, power, other dynamics nuances, and looks) of various vehicles.

I recently stumbled on 5 seasons in Amazon.com, and so that's how I got into watching them and I have enjoyed much of their work.

Apparently they've been doing this quite a long time, and one can get an additional sense of it here:

Yes, I sort of agree an old show is largely irrelevant except this:

- Assuming they keep going, they'll have to come back to reviewing the Model 3, and do so properly. I mean, this is the sort of show that reviews BMW 3 series, various Porsches, and other fun to drive vehicles on a regular basis, so how could they avoid finally giving the Model 3 (and other up-and-coming fun-to-drive BEVs) a proper try? So, a big part of my point here is just encouraging them to get on with it sooner rather than later.

- I've recently been trolled by a Tesla fanatic on another site to the point where it really got to me. I left it alone for awhile but then made a point in response that I suspect he may not understand the extent to which his comments are a discouragement to good EV discussion in general, and possibly ultimately even a discouragement to Tesla sales in some cases. This experience made me listen a bit more closely to this uncharacteristically bad episode, and I realized that part of the issue was that they were "boxing at shadows". One of them voiced a couple of times concern with Tesla hype and I realized he was blaming too much on the hype/fans/etc. He just wasn't seeing that indeed the show was being unfair in framing the test.

Anyway, I think a good practice, and a good response to getting upset about someone else's posts, is to make sure we give both credit and discredit where we think it's due. Dealing with a situation on my end made me want to be fair to Tesla where I think they've been done a wrong. I don't know why I haven't seen any of the Tesla fans discuss this wrong (I"m sure they must have done this somewhere), but it was pretty nasty, in my view. A lot of us do like driving and cars and the more I thought about this episode, the more I realized that what they had done was take a historically important and bold vehicle and come up with a somewhat-sophistic rationale for not letting it show what it could do.

Yes, it was interesting to see BEVs compared for their city driving experience, but the confinement to that approach was simply too much. This is a vehicle that is trying to compete with the legendary BMW 3 series, and they wouldn't even let the Model 3 out on the open road. Arguably a sin of some sort against the car gods. So, on that, I just wanted to say something, even if way after the fact.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
It’s not the only car show or review of the Tesla Model 3 out there on the web, I’ve seen a couple of episodes of the show and it was ok.

If they’ve chosen to ‘review’ the car in the way they did, and using the criteria they chose, then so be it.

I wouldn’t get too worked up about it, and I also wouldn’t get upset about what a stranger (Tesla fan or not) writes on the subject either.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s not the only car show or review of the Tesla Model 3 out there on the web, I’ve seen a couple of episodes of the show and it was ok.

If they’ve chosen to ‘review’ the car in the way they did, and using the criteria they chose, then so be it.

I wouldn’t get too worked up about it, and I also wouldn’t get upset about what a stranger (Tesla fan or not) writes on the subject either.
To tie this together, the ruder Tesla fans are constantly taking offense at reasonable criticisms of Tesla's vehicles. Yet, here was a straw-man criticism of Tesla that was (IMO) unreasonable and I've seen nothing from those same rude fans (though I haven't scoured the net looking). So, if nothing else, I just wanted to get this out there, if only as a bookmark.

Still your points seem quite fair.

As a parting shot on this, I'll say:

I do like the show, including their own fair-mindedness. They don't seem to run away from germane topics. I don't know if there's something about the transition to BEV from FFV (and, for that matter, the transition to self-driving vehicles) that will reduce the fun and their own interest levels in doing the types of reviews they do, but I'm hoping this just comes out in the wash, and as the years pass they will just need to start really driving and digging deeper into the strengths and weaknesses of the better BEVs, or at least maybe explain why that's not going to be their bag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts