Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone putting EVezy subscription through as a company expense after talking to their accountant about it? I wasn't sure if it would vary from a usual business lease?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is anyone putting EVezy subscription through as a company expense after talking to their accountant about it? I wasn't sure if it would vary from a usual business lease?
I did enquire about business lease a while back and was told they were looking into launching these for early 2020. This would save half the VAT, but more importantly it would actually be a business lease. Personally I would feel it rather risky to take what's explicitly a personal lease and claim it as a company expense, when business leases are the norm.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Very interested in doing this.

Evezy would have to issue their invoice directly in the Ltd company's name, which currently they won't do.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Very interested in doing this.

Evezy would have to issue their invoice directly in the Ltd company's name, which currently they won't do.
Could do it as a Sole Trader as you are the business? And if you are VAT registered as a sole trader as part use is business you could claim back 50% of the VAT too. It's also possible to be a Sole Trader and a irregular PAYE employee too, this is my current situation. If you claim the car is 100% business use, keep an accurate log that covers all the miles as business, and keep a very cheap ICE on the drive taxed and insured for "private use" you can claim 100% of the VAT back. So I believe.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Could do it as a Sole Trader as you are the business? And if you are VAT registered as a sole trader as part use is business you could claim back 50% of the VAT too. It's also possible to be a Sole Trader and a irregular PAYE employee too, this is my current situation. If you claim the car is 100% business use, keep an accurate log that covers all the miles as business, and keep a very cheap ICE on the drive taxed and insured for "private use" you can claim 100% of the VAT back. So I believe.
Nice idea.

That won't work for us. We're specifically looking at ltd company providing director with a company car as a taxable benefit (with that tax being 0% for EVs from April 2020).

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
If you claim the car is 100% business use, keep an accurate log that covers all the miles as business, and keep a very cheap ICE on the drive taxed and insured for "private use" you can claim 100% of the VAT back. So I believe.
Don't go there. HMRC only allow that in very narrow use case and have won many cases. Parking the car outside your house is one way to fail their "tests".

Generally for sole traders the 45p mile is the simplest and best approach for EVs. Far less likely to trigger any chance of HMRC asking questions or looking deeper into your affairs - which trust me you do not want...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't go there. HMRC only allow that in very narrow use case and have won many cases. Parking the car outside your house is one way to fail their "tests".

Generally for sole traders the 45p mile is the simplest and best approach for EVs. Far less likely to trigger any chance of HMRC asking questions or looking deeper into your affairs - which trust me you do not want...
Regarding your first paragraph, that's more from a limited company perspective. The poster was referring to sole traders, where the rules are more relaxed.

Either way, 45p a mile may work out better and Evezy do not issue VAT invoices, so VAT cannot be reclaimed.

·
Registered
325 Posts

As Jon mentioned, as a Sole Trader my home happens to be my business address too, as I work from Home.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Regarding your first paragraph, that's more from a limited company perspective. The poster was referring to sole traders, where the rules are more relaxed.

Either way, 45p a mile may work out better and Evezy do not issue VAT invoices, so VAT cannot be reclaimed.
As you mention my comment was for a business use case as a VAT registered sole trader working from home, but buying outright via £40k loan, £33k loan, £7k credit card, and the VAT reclaim would be around £7k on a SR+. Use VAT reclaim to clear the credit card part. Can get a group 3 insurance £30 p/a VED ICE banger for £500 for "private use" also on the drive. Just need to "keep" accurate business logs accounting for all the miles as Business.

One way into a SR+ for £33k. For business use of course. As for 45p mile route, 18k p/a business miles 45p/25p would be £6500 p/a, but then only 50% VAT reclaim as some miles would have to be personal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You could claim all of the VAT back if you claim 100% business use and have no insurance for SDP etc. Discussions with HMRC would be another matter though if they come knocking.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
I doubt HMRC will believe you have a nice Model 3 "only for business use" and drive around in a banger. It would also be sad to turn up at family and friends in the banger and they say "where is the Tesla" ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts