Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In looking to get an opportunity charge while working in Shrewsbury today found two Leafs actively charging at the dealer so no room. Called in at the historically unreliable chargemaster posts at Asda and found another Leaf charging. Had a good chat with the driver who had come over from mid wales and had had his Leaf a month on the Motability scheme. Loves it.

Last week spoke with a lady from Stoke charging at the dealer who had come from Stoke, has her Leaf as a company car having seen her neighbours Leaf....and loves it.

Take 3 things from this.

1.) Even in rapid deprived regions like ours Leafs are becoming more noticeable....to me at least.

2.) There seems to be an increased frequency of ev public charging in our region....despite the Baroness suggestion that most people only need home charging.

3.) Shrewsbury / Shropshire type 2 public charging already is facing issues of contention. I continue to advocate to the council supporting the zero carbon world model. £500 for two spaces as opposed to £10, 000 for the same provision on public roads due to planning etc.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I drove over the Long Mynd on Saturday afternoon (having first visited A. E. Houseman's quietest places under the sun, which were holding a beer festival) and lo and behold! On the very top a silver Leaf was parked!

That was pretty much the scariest driving I have ever done, I think, with a sheer drop on my right both on the ascent (20%) and descent (25%). I had to reverse up the hill because someone else was coming up forward. That was quite something as the surface was rough and as I turned the wheel to get the back of the car into a passing place all I could see over the bonnet was an expanse of sky and some model village or other hundreds of feet below.

Some things are small, but those were far away...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love the Long Mynd one of my favourite places in the world.

Church Stretton has become a hot spot for ev's so it may be a local. Though their locally organised public chargers are already attracting ev drivers in from further away in the region, including some from this forum.

I fully empathise with the alarming Long Mynd drive! Have become a little desensitised but still find myself very concentrated when going over! I used to drive regularly over in my Berlingo electric to the pub The Bridges at Ratlinghope. Very foolishly, one November evening I picked up some friends to drive over in heavy rain...at least it was heavy rain at the bottom. Half way up it was heavy and lieing snow! Turning round as you is not really an option. So I somehow fish tailed my way over. Very scary and used most of the 60 mile nicad range....! Grateful to plug in at the Bridges b and b.

Hope you had a great holiday! Keep the secret of how beautiful Shropshire is safe....don't want everyone to come....!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imagine towing a 10 meter glider trailer up there in winter;). If the wind is on the ridge a free energy silent flight is a bundle of fun off a winch launch. I would imagine there will be a 13 amp plug you could use somewhere up there too if you ask.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Proper scarey!

A friend of mine has been involved in egineering electric winches for gliders...fascinating him talk about the amout of energy they need to produce quickly and the advantages of the electric design

1 - 5 of 5 Posts