Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Absolutely over the moon with my car :) we picked her up with 4 miles on the clock and arrived home tonight having done 120 miles and somehow managed to rapid charge 3 times despite the dealer handing her over at 100%, and she's sitting on the drive with 54 miles range left. I think we screwed up with the first rapid charge as we possibly shouldn't have bothered when she had 65 miles range as it seemed like she didn't gain much from it. Final charge from 41 miles at Pease Pottage seemed to do the most good and gave us 84 miles :)

Carwings logged in fine and is working for now so I'm really happy. Had a good plan about with the settings etc whilst on that last charge and connected my phone for music and created my sat nav address book etc.

I absolutely love it :)

Thanks all for your patient advice, and you'll be glad to hear I'm reading my manual to avoid troubling anyone too much more ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome to the club! There is a bit of planning involved to get the best from rapid chargers. If you start at a low level a 50% charge takes only ten minutes or so - but the trick is to arrive with a low charge rather than get stuck! So far so good, but I did once arrive at Fleet Services with 1% left in the tank.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooh that's a bit beyond my courage for the first day of ownership! I'd be notified to have to be towed off the motorway! Planning and preparation is definitely key! Well worth it though :)

Reactions: Steve Thayne

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Ooh that's a bit beyond my courage for the first day of ownership! I'd be notified to have to be towed off the motorway! Planning and preparation is definitely key! Well worth it though :)
Welcome to the club. 120 miles on day 1 is good going. The car does reward you when you drive sensitively and it won't be long before you do that with one charge.

Planning is certainly the key - getting down to 15% before a charge does get you the best time charge return

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,216 Posts
Good to hear the journey home was OK. Be careful, it becomes addictive.

Charging time is good for reading the manuals. I still missed the bit about using the button to override the timer when you want an immediate charge:(.

Only managed 25 miles on my first day. I parked it at home and went out to celebrate:p.

It's great the way that most Motorway service areas put the petrol stations on the way out. I still have a smile each time I drive past.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Can feel your excitement and makes me smile! Fantastic!

Sussex I missed that button for severalmonths too. It was only when getting a charge at the ddealerit was pointed out to me. Have been thinking of starting a thread on here for these kind of things....can't be the only one!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Can feel your excitement and makes me smile! Fantastic!

Sussex I missed that button for severalmonths too. It was only when getting a charge at the ddealerit was pointed out to me. Have been thinking of starting a thread on here for these kind of things....can't be the only one!
No Steve

I have missed that button too. Dare I say it but more than once

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear the journey home was OK. Be careful, it becomes addictive.

Charging time is good for reading the manuals. I still missed the bit about using the button to override the timer when you want an immediate charge:(.

Only managed 25 miles on my first day. I parked it at home and went out to celebrate:p.

It's great the way that most Motorway service areas put the petrol stations on the way out. I still have a smile each time I drive past.

What button to override the timer? I'm obviously still missing it! Oops! What does it do? Or more sensibly I suppose, what timer am I trying to override?

I'm clearly not Leaf cognisant yet :eek:

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Congratulations!

You will soon get used to it but it does feel a bit strange at first... plugging in instead of filling up!

The only advice I would offer is if you do any long trips where you need to charge away from home do you planning first and always try to have a plan B in case the charger fails or is occupied when you arrive.

Other than that enjoy!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
If you use economy 7 or other timed settings you can set the car to be fully charged by a certain time - in my case 6:30am. So when I plug in in the evening the three blue leds flash in sequence to indicate it is not charging yet but on a timed charge.

If you want to charge during the day, say at a public charger, you need to over ride this timed charge. There is an
easy way to do this. After you have plugged in press a button with a clock face on it below and to the right of the steering column. This will start your leaf charging immediately for that charge only. Leaving the timed charge in place. This is much easier than setting and resetting timed charges.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
You don't need to use this button when rapid charging though... only if charging on AC.
Last time I used the rapid I found I had to cancel the timed charge completely I thought. Not sure if this is different on gen 2. Or perhaps and more likely I hadnot turned the car off before plugging which also stops it charging. You explanation makes more sense though Paul so will check next time.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
No, it is not different on Mk1/2.

Rapid charging does not use the on board charger and the timers are not involved. No leaf owner will need to use the timer override button or to change/disable your timers to rapid charge. You can just leave everything set up as you want it and rapid charge any time.

Yes, the car must be turned off before starting a rapid charge or else you will get an error on the charger.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys :) you've all been brilliant. I know I would have struggled if I hadn't been able to ask my daft questions here.

We've just had a lovely cheap breakfast in Asda, whilst getting another 45 miles range through their fast charge point :) only downside was that 2 spaces were ICEd the whole time we were there :( we did see an Outlander charging up when we arrived though. First time we've shared chargers :)

Nearly ran over several pedestrians in the lanes near my horses though. None of them heard the car and all were wandering along the middle of the road :eek: I think I need a vroom vroom soundtrack! :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
After you have plugged in press a button with a clock face on it below and to the right of the steering column. This will start your leaf charging immediately for that charge only. Leaving the timed charge in place. This is much easier than setting and resetting timed charges.
You can press the override button before you plug in. You then have fifteen minutes to plug in before the normal timers are re-applied. Saves you having to go back into the car after parking up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts