Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So purchased obdii dongle with the hope of using it with evnotify. I have successfully paired it with an old android phone I have but try as I might I cannot seem to get any data out of it. Evnotify keeps saying that there has never been a car connected with the app. Any ideas what to do next either then throw the dongle away as a dud.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What brand/type of dongle did you buy? I have found this one works very well, is secure and low quiescent current.
[/URL][/URL]
Not the cheapest though.
I have also found this one works ok and also with an iphone. OBD2 Bluetooth 4.0 Diagnostic Scanner for iPhone iOS Android iPad,Car OBD 2 Code Reader Scan Tool for Check Engine Light Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
They all seem to say they are not comparable with electric vehicles or hybrids. ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
So purchased obdii dongle with the hope of using it with evnotify. I have successfully paired it with an old android phone I have but try as I might I cannot seem to get any data out of it. Evnotify keeps saying that there has never been a car connected with the app. Any ideas what to do next either then throw the dongle away as a dud.
Got three from Amazon and returned all because they wouldn't work with EVnotify.
This one from ebay works (although price has gone up since I bought a week ago)

If you go to the setup page on EVnotify and select car and OBD2 adapter then you have to click on the save icon on the top right hand corner. If you have an internet connection it will give you confirmation of save in green. Then go back to dashboard and it should initialise. Took me a while to figure that out!

·
Registered
51 Posts
They all seem to say they are not comparable with electric vehicles or hybrids. ?
I successfully use the OBD Link LX with E.V Notify in my Hyundai Ioniq, despite noting that the instructions initially said it wasn't for use in E.V's; but it was recommended by Bjørn Nyland (the respected Vlogger on E.V matters).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the engine need to be on to get data? Does it need to be in drive?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does the engine need to be on to get data? Does it need to be in drive?
No, you don't have to be in drive, the link remains alive as long as there is a Bluetooth connection between the phone and the OBD dongle, if you turn off the car but keep the phone active; e.g when fast charging, then the OBD link/dongle connection remains live so you may monitor battery temp. voltage and current.
The OBD dongle goes to sleep when the ignition is off and the Bluetooth is off too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It may be the "Keep display active" setting needs selecting within E.V Notify (see screenshot below).
*Click on the three horizontal bars at the App's screen bottom, to open appropriate page.

Next likely offender is your `phone; is it connected/on-charge, or it may probably 'auto sleep' after 15mins to conserve battery.

In my Ioniq, the OBD-II doesn't sleep when the car is active/on charge, so the dongle will be kept alive, so that likely won't be the cause of any App-related drowsiness.
Deborah.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Different threads on the subjest, think there was even one in kona group, have reported the obd2 losing power from the obd2 socket after about 1/2 hour or so, i have used my set up only once at moment and it stayed on for apx 40 mins.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think I may have found the culprit. Intermittent internet coverage at the charger/recipient location. Changed all of the settings also so fingers crossed?

Thanks again

Dbran

1 - 13 of 13 Posts