Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have decided to set up evnotify, thought and researched a while and it come down to evnotify or ovms. Ovms a tad expensive at moment. So my question, has anybody managed to get a obd2 to sit in place with the cover in place. Looks like one wont fit with cover on. So looking at buying a flat extension cable with a switch on it, so wondered if this will fit, have read a post about pushing out/back the obd socket.

·
Registered
115 Posts
FWIW if you find a solution I'm interested too :)
A similar problem exists on the Kona electric. You can get a low profile OBD2 extension cable that allows flexibility in fitting the OBD2 link. See here SIENOC 0.6m OBD2 OBDII Extension Cable 16Pin Male To Female Diagnostic Connector: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
I made a replacement Fuse / OBD2 cover for my Kona using one of these extensions and a 3d printed cover. Others have done similar (search on Thingyverse).
Photos of my Kona solution are attached. The switch and USB PSU/connector were included so I could power an old Android phone for transmitting EvNotify data while charging and switch off the OBD2 adaptor when not required to be powered up. (battery saving).

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
A similar problem exists on the Kona electric. You can get a low profile OBD2 extension cable that allows flexibility in fitting the OBD2 link. See here SIENOC 0.6m OBD2 OBDII Extension Cable 16Pin Male To Female Diagnostic Connector: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
I made a replacement Fuse / OBD2 cover for my Kona using one of these extensions and a 3d printed cover. Others have done similar (search on Thingyverse).
Photos of my Kona solution are attached. The switch and USB PSU/connector were included so I could power an old Android phone for transmitting EvNotify data while charging and switch off the OBD2 adaptor when not required to be powered up. (battery saving). View attachment 126134 View attachment 126135
That port plate looks a very similar size to the Niro.
I'll get the 3D printer plan and take some measurements.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have decided to set up evnotify, thought and researched a while and it come down to evnotify or ovms. Ovms a tad expensive at moment. So my question, has anybody managed to get a obd2 to sit in place with the cover in place. Looks like one wont fit with cover on. So looking at buying a flat extension cable with a switch on it, so wondered if this will fit, have read a post about pushing out/back the obd socket.
Even extension cable is to big for the cover to fit but you can release from its fixed position and push it back 10 mm or so. It will still be kept in place. Then put the other end of the cable with the OBD device attached to the right in that little compartment and then be able to put the cover back.

I have tried EV notify with a konnwei plug but EV notify keeps turning on and off Bluetooth connection when I am in the dashboard. If I go to the settings screen BT seems more stable. Is this something being experienced by anyone else?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Had an old HTC One M8 in the house so fired it up running Android 6. Downloaded EVNotify on it and onto my iPhone.

Bought a Vgate iCar and switchable extension from Amazon. Extension still wouldn't fit on the OBD port with the cover in place so withdrew the port and plugged it in as per @Spark's pic above (y)

Started everything up and it works fine. Need to test it in earnest while charging. Interestingly, the M8 is wifi'd to my 4G dongle in the armrest and happily talks to the world without the need for a Sim in place :) Hoping this is job done to monitor the car if needed.

The only annoying thing I still have with the 4G dongle is the darn thing goes to sleep when the car is off if it has its battery in and it won't wake up for some reason when the car starts. I solved this by removing the battery and forcing it to wake up when USB power comes on when the car starts. Problem is, USB power doesn't come on when charging so the dongle won't work without the battery in this circumstance :rolleyes:. One step forwards, two steps back!

I'm hoping that having the phone on tucked away in the car attached to the dongle for data, may keep it awake with its battery in 🤞

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Some success with EV Notify but getting some weird messages. Android successfully paired with the OBD dongle. My iPhone seems to use EVNotify okay although I'm not convinced I understand what the data I am seeing means exactly.

Sometimes the iPhone App flashes up with a message "bluetooth connection failed". Now my iPhone isn't connected to bluetooth, it's the Android in the car which is. So is this message reporting that the Android / OBD bluetooth connection failed or is it an App glitch?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I have had the same message on my normal phone as well. I presume the normal phone is mirroring the phone in the car, so its the phone in car that is losing bluetooth connection. When I have had it, the info has still come through, so presume it reconnects itself.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes, I gathered that too as it seems to be updated so guessed it was just dropping out occasionally.

Is there a document that explains the app data on screen?

For instance, why am I seeing Soc BMS different to SoC display? Is this difference the headroom in the traction battery?

What am I supposed to see when the car is charging? The last reading the car took before I disconnected shows the first number on the right of the little blue lightning bolt as 4.4kw. I am assuming this is the battery usage at that moment as the car wasn't charging? What is it supposed to say when charging, -33kw or the like ??

·
Registered
128 Posts
Some success with EV Notify but getting some weird messages. Android successfully paired with the OBD dongle. My iPhone seems to use EVNotify okay although I'm not convinced I understand what the data I am seeing means exactly.

Sometimes the iPhone App flashes up with a message "bluetooth connection failed". Now my iPhone isn't connected to bluetooth, it's the Android in the car which is. So is this message reporting that the Android / OBD bluetooth connection failed or is it an App glitch?
the second phone (you're iPhone) attempts to connect to OBD by bluetooth as if it were the only phone and can't so you get the failed message and it starts downloading the data from the cloud (Down arrow on the little cloud at the top).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, I gathered that too as it seems to be updated so guessed it was just dropping out occasionally.

Is there a document that explains the app data on screen?

For instance, why am I seeing Soc BMS different to SoC display? Is this difference the headroom in the traction battery?

What am I supposed to see when the car is charging? The last reading the car took before I disconnected shows the first number on the right of the little blue lightning bolt as 4.4kw. I am assuming this is the battery usage at that moment as the car wasn't charging? What is it supposed to say when charging, -33kw or the like ??
The SoC BMS is the state of charge reported by the Battery Management System, SoC Display is what you will see on the car's display. It seems the battery has some 'headroom' so when the display says 100% the BMS will show something less than that - so there is still some capacity in the battery to absorb regen when you start driving.I presume there will also be a buffer at the other end so that battery is never fully discharged when the display shows zero. I think Bjorn tried to work these amounts out in one of his YouTube videos

1 - 15 of 15 Posts