Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an Evolt charger fitted during the electric nation trials. They’ve removed the communication equipment and now it’s dum. Does anyone know how to make it smart again?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Thank you.

Is there a module I can buy to achieve this?
Sorry, I should have phrased that as a question.

As a consumer, you might just want the ability to remotely switch on and/or schedule the charger via an app.

The government wants EV chargers to be remotely supervised via OCCP Comms through a back office.

Both are described as smart.

Which flavour of smart do you want?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I should have phrased that as a question.

As a consumer, you might just want the ability to remotely switch on and/or schedule the charger via an app.

The government wants EV chargers to be remotely supervised via OCCP Comms through a back office.

Both are described as smart.

Which flavour of smart do you want?
I just want the ability to turn off/on remotely or by a timer

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Do you have any high definition photos of the internals with the front cover removed, you might want to

a/ contact Evolt and ask them to modify the unit.

b/ fit an app controlled switch eg Sonoff switch into the pilot

c/ scrap the internals and refit a new contactor and protocol controller plus app controlled switch. You will need an electrician to check what RCD type is required.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Up at the top right are two discrete components: one is a 12v Din rail supply. Next to it is a grey box. My guess is that the grey box is the comms module. Anyone else have a theory?

Overall, my guess is that £100 worth of parts (Viridian protocol controller and Sonoff switch) would be enough to convert this to an app controlled EV charger

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The item labelled Circutor is a circuit analyser, it basically measures current powerfactor etc. It probably passes the data back via modbus to the Comms Module.

I have a hunch you could swop out the ""Comms module* and to job will be done.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
b/ fit an app controlled switch eg Sonoff switch into the pilot
Overall, my guess is that £100 worth of parts (Viridian protocol controller and Sonoff switch) would be enough to convert this to an app controlled EV charger
Why do you suggest that the OP needs a new protocol controller?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The item labelled Circutor is a circuit analyser, it basically measures current powerfactor etc. It probably passes the data back via modbus to the Comms Module.

I have a hunch you could swop out the ""Comms module* and to job will be done.
See my latest post. It's likely that the comms module could be removed to make it a dumb charger as per the original design of this charger. Or the Comms module replaced with an app controlled smart phone controller.

Ground zero would be to remove the circuit board and replace with a Din mounted protocol controller, cost about £70.

I have no idea if the electronics and electrical skills of the OP. The best solution might depend on this.

Anyone else have any constructive comments to make to help the OP or at least point out some possibilities

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Brilliant. Either a Din Timer suitably rated as you suggested or a Shelly 1 app controlled switch which is rated 16A, use with a contactor.
The Shelly Switch can be controlled via your smartphone.
Looks as though you have plenty of options 😁

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Brilliant. Either a Din Timer suitably rated as you suggested or a Shelly 1 app controlled switch which is rated 16A, use with a contactor.
The Shelly Switch can be controlled via your smartphone.
Looks as though you have plenty of options 😁
Both solutions may not work with your EV and are not good practice. Switching the charge point off entirely risks the EV "going to sleep" and failing to "wake up" when the unit is switched back on.
As with previous threads, you should control the CP line.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Both solutions may not work with your EV and are not good practice. Switching the charge point off entirely risks the EV "going to sleep" and failing to "wake up" when the unit is switched back on.
As with previous threads, you should control the CP line.
I think we are helping the OP move towards a solution.

It's now established the OP can control the unit manually.

I think the OP is trying to charge a model 3????

Anybody know how long before model 3 falls asleep ??

Yes we can move incrementally towards the perfect distance. It's a bit tricky at a distance without the seeing the circuit diagram or even the wiring configuration.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you.
I do have Tesla Model 3 and the onboard timer works well when I charge overnight. The problem is the Renault Kangoo ZE I’ve just bought. It doesn’t have an in built charge timer and I’d like to charge on cheap rate only.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The pennies dropped!
The timer should be fitted to the control line which is 12v and not to turn off the charger. Unfortunately the manufacturers are not very heplful and I’ll see if I can work out a simple circuit diagram for the control line

1 - 20 of 26 Posts