1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
Only right given they're rolling out charges per session and a p/kWh rate at Chargeplace Scotland units now. I live in Argyll and Bute which starts charging from the 9th April (£1.80 fixed connection + £0.25p/kWh).

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf; Tesla Model 3
146 Posts
The individual site owners get to set the electricity costs - and most Scottish councils have or are phasing out the free lunch.

Must say that those Argyll and Bute rates seem rather steep, especially compared to Dundee, 15p per kWh with a 38p connection fee:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah - I've no issue whatsoever with them charging an appropriate rate and not adversely impacting the public purse, but what they're proposing here is clearly going to disincentivise EV adoption. It's a shame.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
The individual site owners get to set the electricity costs - and most Scottish councils have or are phasing out the free lunch.

Must say that those Argyll and Bute rates seem rather steep, especially compared to Dundee, 15p per kWh with a 38p connection fee:
Dundee are probably the most progressive council in the UK. when it comes to support for EVs.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,459 Posts
Only right given they're rolling out charges per session and a p/kWh rate at Chargeplace Scotland units now. I live in Argyll and Bute which starts charging from the 9th April (£1.80 fixed connection + £0.25p/kWh).
That's a bit steep. Just in time for the return of the tourists.
Many councils charge around 20p and no connection fee.
Is there a time limit / overstay fee, which is what is needed?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,038 Posts
I didn't pay for my CPS card, it was free as I was a CYC lifer. Hopefully it'll still work after that date on CYC network.

Dundee are probably the most progressive council in the UK. when it comes to support for EVs.
Well, only if you consider the intrinsic nepotism of free charging if your a local but visitors have to pay. I voted with my feet, I don't visit Dundee any more, even though I don't need to charge now. I prefer to spend my hard earned in Perth now. Where they treat all EV owners as equals.

Reactions: h8ten

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,607 Posts
I didn't pay for my CPS card, it was free as I was a CYC lifer. Hopefully it'll still work after that date on CYC network.

Well, only if you consider the intrinsic nepotism of free charging if your a local but visitors have to pay. I voted with my feet, I don't visit Dundee any more, even though I don't need to charge now. I prefer to spend my hard earned in Perth now. Where they treat all EV owners as equals.
ditto Sandy, have my card since 2013. They did try to charge me once and fortunately, I still had the 'For life' email.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
July... huh, guess that means they will swipe £20 from my bank account in April, lol!

Reactions: Harry_Zoe

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
That's a bit steep. Just in time for the return of the tourists.
Many councils charge around 20p and no connection fee.
Is there a time limit / overstay fee, which is what is needed?
45 min time limit and £1/min overstay fee up to £30 capped I believe.

Reactions: farmergiles

·
Registered
146 Posts
Eh? Since 2019, Dundee do charge for charging.

They still have the perk of free EV parking in their multistory car parks if you register your numberplate - open at least to Dundee residents and people who work there, if you're in the general area you could ask?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,038 Posts
Eh? Since 2019, Dundee do charge for charging.

They still have the perk of free EV parking in their multistory car parks if you register your numberplate - open at least to Dundee residents and people who work there, if you're in the general area you could ask?
Check again. Locals get free charging. Only visitors pay. Yes you still get free parking though.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The Dundee council website is a bit of a mess, but I think I confirmed a few weeks back that you can get free charging and parking in perhaps 2 of the multi-stories but not at any of the street side or hub locations. There are far more rumours than facts in this area!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is there anything public about this rumoured free charging in Dundee to residents? Pretty sure that ended in 2019 as per the link I shared, but I do live outside Dundee itself and no longer get free charging.

Here's the Dundee page about free parking in the four multistories, which I am registered for - the barriers read the car number plates and open on entry and exit, very easy:

Dundee also explicitly don't charge parking while charging (which I think should be universal, it feels like double dipping otherwise).

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Is there anything public about this rumoured free charging in Dundee to residents? Pretty sure that ended in 2019 as per the link I shared, but I do live outside Dundee itself and no longer get free charging.

Here's the Dundee page about free parking in the four multistories, which I am registered for - the barriers read the car number plates and open on entry and exit, very easy:

Dundee also explicitly don't charge parking while charging (which I think should be universal, it feels like double dipping otherwise).
This was all I could find on the council website:

"On the 1st of November 2019 electric vehicle charging tariffs will be introduced in Dundee following committee approval last month. Tariffs of 15p per KW with a 38p connection fee will be introduced through the charge place Scotland back office which will record charging sessions through use of swipe cards and will then invoice electric vehicle users on a monthly basis.

A Dundee residents’ discount scheme will also be introduced for the city’s privately owned plug-in hybrid or fully electric vehicles. Applying for the scheme applicants must provide the following three items of information, proof of identity, Dundee residency and a current charge place scotland swipe card."

So it only says "discount scheme" - not free charging. There are no details of this scheme that I can find.

The only discount-related scheme I can find is:

"In tandem with the introduction of tariffs on the 1st November 2019 the free parking for 100% electric vehicles will only be available for the cities multi-storey car parks. Greenmarket, Bell Street, Gellatly Street and Olympia. This change is required to consolidate funding requirements which require accurate capture through the cities ANPR system which is only available at these sites. "

Electric Vehicle Parking Within Dundee | Dundee City Council

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So it only says "discount scheme" - not free charging. There are no details of this scheme that I can find.
Its a strange way of saying it but its a 100% discount :rolleyes: so yeah free charging and also free parking at the multi storey car parks for Dundee residents.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Its a strange way of saying it but its a 100% discount :rolleyes: so yeah free charging and also free parking at the multi storey car parks for Dundee residents.
I don't live in Dundee, so can't confirm, but the quote I posted states "the free parking for 100% electric vehicles will only be available for the cities multi-storey car parks " i.e. it only refers to free parking and not free charging.

Like I said, I'm finding it confusing as an outsider to try and understand what I'd have to pay to charge my car at a council post in Dundee if I was a Dundonian.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hmm...just got my £20 CPS card. Ready for a trip in mid-May. It'll only take about 3 45min Rapid charge ups before I've covered that cost. Though from the border until Glasgow I'll use Ionity or Engenie as I have an We Connect ID free card. So that'll be a short top up at Gretna and Engenie in Glasgow before heading to the Highlands and the land of CPS.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts