Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the new 38kwh Ioniq for a couple of weeks now. My first EV. My teenage daughter has suffered from car sickness from time to time, but since getting the EV, the car sickness has ramped up a lot. I think it's due to having another audible/visual indication taken away (i.e. the engine noise) that you are actually moving. Might be that and the toxic off-gassing interior plastics :)

Took a 80 mile round trip yesterday evening and she was vowing never to get in the car again...

Anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
427 Posts
More likely the Ioniq’s suspension setup doesn’t agree with her than a general EV issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It is indeed the strong acceleration and more aggresive regen in EVs. Set regen to coasting (0 regen) or 1 (which resembles cars with automatic gearbox). Drive in ECO and use /active/ cruise control whenever possible, even in city, as driver's foot on gas pedal is always moving up and down a tiny bit, while cruise control keeps the speed completely fixed, even braking and accelerating is usually more harmonic with ACC when following another car.

Strong acceleration an regen in EVs is enjoyed by the driver, much less by passengers. I was told that employees at one Jaguar dealer accept no more than 2 test drives per day in iPace, as they simply get sick.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,093 Posts
Some EVs are worse than others with this, but I think the two posts above me have hit the nail on the head. For the driver it is something you really don't notice, but for others the rapid acceleration and aggressive regenerative braking isn't as smooth as what you would get in other cars and for those who suffer from travel and motion sickness riding in an EV can be very unpleasant.

Follow the above advice about the use of eco mode and taking it easy with the pedals, trying to pick up speed at a slower, more steady rate. And likewise trying to look ahead and slow down without lifting off and quickly getting thrown into equally rapid deceleration.

If she doesn't already, try to have your daughter seated in the front of the car with a clear view of the road ahead to help see when you may be needing to speed up or slow down for example, and avoiding looking down, reading or playing on phone for example.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
My daughter has suffered previously in ICE cars but improved since going EV until I went to the Leaf 40 which tends to encourage "spirited" driving.

Also got worse since the lockdown after not really going in the car much. Hoping she will desensitise again in time.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,259 Posts
The smell from the interior plastics have always made me feel a bit sick as a passenger in cars, but as a driver it never effects me.
My father's old Wolsey 15/60 with leather seats always made me car sick. They tried all sorts of things to help me but to no avail. Was so happy when he got the Austin 1100.

Some people are very prone to it. I get motion sickness playing a 1st person shooter game:eek::oops:o_O. Although weirdly I am a very good sailor. Qualified Day Skipper;).

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,259 Posts
If she doesn't already, try to have your daughter seated in the front of the car with a clear view of the road ahead to help see when you may be needing to speed up or slow down for example,
Yes, seasickness can be a lot less awful if you have a view of the horizon. Helps the eyes to understand the motion of the boat.

Maybe some motion sickness (seasickness) pills a couple of hours before a long journey may help.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Maybe some motion sickness (seasickness) pills a couple of hours before a long journey may help.
Yep, Stugeron are very good, I take them when I go to theme parks for on the coasters (y):)

Reactions: Neilew

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,102 Posts
My father's old Wolsey 15/60 with leather seats always made me car sick. They tried all sorts of things to help me but to no avail. Was so happy when he got the Austin 1100.
For me it was my grandfather’s Citroen DS. Still have memories of standing on the side of the road wanting to throw up, but never did. Went when I got older, fortunately as my Dad later got a CX.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes, seasickness can be a lot less awful if you have a view of the horizon. Helps the eyes to understand the motion of the boat.
I've heard that theory... :) Bilge keeler, fin keel., catamaran, helming or not... As a kid felt queasy before the ferry left the dock! I was ok on an Ocean 60 in the Med though! Never been airsick though from small helicopters, DC-3s and up. High altitude turbulence in a VC-10 was fun, many passengers clapped when the pilot finally greased the landing!

So motion sickness is a funny thing. Not been carsick since childhood, so at least that may be some reassurance.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Definitely feel a bit peaky if sitting in the passenger seat of our Kona with my wife driving on max regen - she does too as a passenger. With lower setting absolutely fine. As with most driving habits, it you're driving on your own you won't notice the lack of finesse in using the regen so much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts