Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder how water resistant EVs are to flood water and what will happen if you inadvertently drive into a foot or so of water.
We've seen drivers taking a chance with their fossil fuel vehicles and sometimes getting away with it and often not. But definitely not advisable in an EV or hybrid I'd think..

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to see that with an EV. Sparks flames and occupants electrocuted!!

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,851 Posts
I wonder what we can all learn from this video?

Drive slowly and know where you're air intake is situated.
The problem is usually the air intake too low down and water being sucked in instead of air. A good way to destroy an engine, I've done it but on my dad's car!
Raise the air intake and the engine keeps running, as long as our had enough revs in a petrol.

I'm less concerned about the electric side of the car and more concerned about water getting in through the doors. As long as that's got going to happen I've driven through floods in my EVs.
Did it a few weeks ago when I'd only had the ID3 a few days. Wasn't deep enough to cause an issue for an EV but it was the same place I'd destroyed my father's diesel Golf, by driving too fast.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,929 Posts

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,929 Posts
The CCS socket on the ZE50 is rated IP69k - the 9k means it's ok to use a pressure washer when it's closed.
Yeah, I think Renault were being a little over cautious with the first (22 kWh) Zoe.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
This was an early concern when Nissan launched ( pun intended) the Leaf. To alleviate peoples reservations they organised a press event to display a car wading through a deep flood.
I wonder what happened to that press car afterwards... :p

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
538 Posts
Having owned an ICE car that went up in flames after going through a flood I don't think EVs are any worse. In contrast I feel safer in an EV.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I wonder how water resistant EVs are to flood water and what will happen if you inadvertently drive into a foot or so of water.
We've seen drivers taking a chance with their fossil fuel vehicles and sometimes getting away with it and often not. But definitely not advisable in an EV or hybrid I'd think..
There is probably less chance of damage to an EV in modest flooding as most parts are sealed. There is a vent to the top of Zoe battery so if water got it there it would be damaged, but it is quite high.

However, I always avoid driving through flood water in any car. You can't see if there is debris (branches etc) which could cause damage to the car.

Reactions: Eclectic and Neilew
1 - 20 of 31 Posts