Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hybrid and pure-electric cars are the most reliable new models on sale, according to a major nationwide study.
Two of the three most dependable models in the annual What Car? Reliability Survey are hybrids and the hybrid/EV class is the most reliable segment overall, according to feedback from 18,000 drivers.
While most EVs proved to be very reliable, the Renault Zoe scored a relatively low 82.3 per cent, with 44 per cent of owners experiencing a problem in the last year.
44%... wow!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,016 Posts
Well, yes and no. It is Toyota's "self charging" EVs that are topping the list.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,549 Posts
Pretty poor reporting. So the petrol cars were the most reliable Electric / Hybrids and they were all Toyotas basically.

The least reliable cars were the ones that had been on sale for longest. Again you'd kinda expect that. I'd be interested to know the volume of cars used for the percentages. I mean if 3/4 of Zoes in for repair were in for a week how many Zoes was this? Was it 3? 30? 300? 1000? Zoe was one of the most reliable a few short years ago, second only to Tesla in JD Power (2016 I think it was).

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
So (rather than fund a cut and paste site) maybe visit the actual WhatCar survey at link below?

I have said many times that if Toyota/Lexus produced a decent BEV I would buy one. Me and SWMBO have owned a few of that brand over years and very pleased.

Incidentally I note that the humble Ford Focus Diesel comes some 14 positions higher than the so called "quality" VW Golf Diesel :rolleyes: Looks like you have to buy a Petrol Golf to get even average reliability...

The Zoe at 82% is probably to be expected as we know early examples are not very reliable and it did worry me buying one. However, I think newer models are more reliable - I have had no issues in my first year and 10K miles. Long may it continue - fingers crossed.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Conspiracy alert! what if Renault have figured out how to make money out of electric cars, design them to break!

All they need to do now is refine the technique so that it starts when they are just out of warranty.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Conspiracy alert! what if Renault have figured out how to make money out of electric cars, design them to break!

All they need to do now is refine the technique so that it starts when they are just out of warranty.
Isn't that what Renault have been doing since the R4?

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts

The saving grace is their extended warranty isn't expensive compared to other brands. Hopefully not increase too much before my 4 years are up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
proddick
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing