Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed in the last week or so that a lot of companies have announced new EVs due this year. Wondered which (if any) people on here were the most excited about?

Personally, for me I am looking forward to the EQA Merc as I'm hoping it could be one I go for and I also love the look of the Cupra El Born, looks very similar to the ID3 but I slightly prefer the styling on the El Born.

The Enyaq looks interesting too and also pretty interested in the ID4. Sure there are more I have forgotten about too.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,415 Posts
Noticed in the last week or so that a lot of companies have announced new EVs due this year. Wondered which (if any) people on here were the most excited about?

Personally, for me I am looking forward to the EQA Merc as I'm hoping it could be one I go for and I also love the look of the Cupra El Born, looks very similar to the ID3 but I slightly prefer the styling on the El Born.

The Enyaq looks interesting too and also pretty interested in the ID4. Sure there are more I have forgotten about too.
Under the skin, the El-Born is an ID3, and the Enyaq is an ID4.
VW will also be announcing an ID4 "GTX" in May & an ID5 coupe in September (I think).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Under the skin, the El-Born is an ID3, and the Enyaq is an ID4.
VW will also be announcing an ID4 "GTX" in May & an ID5 coupe in September (I think).
If that is the case then I would opt for an El Born over the ID3 purely for the styling, been a lot of good reviews on the ID3 and it seems a great car. Also it would be same with the Enyaq over the ID4 for me. A GTX ID4 sounds great but I bet it will be a lot more expensive than the normal meaning it will probably be out of my budget.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Excited about:
Mustang Mach E
- Ignoring debates over whether it's a "true mustang", it's a bit more interestingly styled than most CUVs and the reviews are generally very positive. Looks like a genuine Model Y competitor. Seems to be exciting and playful to drive (and thankfully the lack of a second gear should keep it out of ditches unlike other mustangs), with range, space, decent pricing.

EQA - yet another blobby small/medium CUV. However, the big excitement for me about it is what it will do to that segment of the market. Volvo will struggle to justify £10k+ extra for the XC40, and given an EQA or a kona for the same price the EQA must surely be a strong contender? I think the Kona is a great car, but if the EQA is the car that pushes Hyundai to lop £5k off the price of it then even better! I like what this will do to the market. Also see below about the UX300e...

Fiat 500 - cheeky EV convertible. Expansion of EVs into new market areas is great, and injecting that bit of fun, joie de vivre, etc into the market is even better.

MG E-motion - again, expanding EVs into wider market areas. A good looking 2-door coupe in the C-class/E-class coupe kind of size area, ~60kWh battery and if they can land it under £30k then another market-expanding option (plus a coupe with an MG badge is a bit more on-brand for MG). No idea if it's FWD or RWD, hoping the latter.

Not excited about:
Rivian R1S/R1T
- Nothing against them. I think they are really nicely engineered and will do a lot of shift parts of the market that might be more thoroughly ICE-entrenched. However, we're now more than 2 years past the "Launch" event and they're still not on sale. 2 years ago a $100k+ EV pickup seemed viable at the luxury/adventure market end of things, but the "competition" mantra applies. Now you've got Atlis XT, Lordstown Endurance and of course the Tesla Cybertruck coming to face the R1T head-on, all with much lower starting prices than the R1T. A real shame, but I feel like the boat is leaving and Rivian are frantically driving on the dock hoping to leap onto it as it departs. I suspect Rivian will get R1Ts out before Lordstown or Atlis, but is the price low enough? Will it be a halo car while Rivian make their money in vans and Lincolns?

Mazda MX30 - in principle I have no problem with the MX30. I get Mazda's angle on "smaller battery, better value" (having owned a Leaf 24), and it seems to be a broadly accomplished vehicle. No, there's one stupid little thing that totally destroys the MX30 for me - it's Mazda's dunderheaded refusal to even try to move away from ICEness, manifested in two specific ways in the MX30. The first is that they deliberately blunted its performance so as not to show up their ICE offerings too badly. The second is the "I can't believe it's not an ICE" noise - not an external pedestrian noise but an internal noise in the cabin. That kind of thing is fine in my opinion if you want it (and Porsche and Jag offer such), but there's a very key difference - in the mazda it can not be disabled! Nope.

Lexus UX300e - Seriously, 50kW Chademo in 2021? Not to mention EQA/Model 3SR+ money for a very small, very cramped little dressed up toyota CHR? The cynic in me wants to suggest it's a "false flag" operation to try to prove that "self charging" UX250h are better and sell more of those (and I say that as owner of a GS450h).

Fisker Ocean - believe it when I see it is the mantra for all things Fisker.

·
2quidforhalfanhour
383 Posts
I sat in a last gen sandero that was in the showroom when I got my last Zoe.
Tbh it was god awful so they will have to do better with the interior- cheap i can live with to an extent, but that was truly nasty.

·
2quidforhalfanhour
383 Posts
Long time Mazda fan (currently in a 2), and I have my eye on the mx30.
I didn't know about the performance issue or the interior noise.
If true that certainly would put me off, the rest of it though (apart from the cork bits round the gear selector-what on earth is that all about?!) looks lovely inside and out.
As above, don't so much have much issue with the battery size-knowing Mazda it will be to keep the weight down more than anything else, and will be great to drive.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
A few years ago in the USA we had a Mazda 3 as our rental car. Over a few thousand miles it wormed its way into our hearts as a really pleasing little car to drive. I've generally found a lot of mazda models to be much more interesting than many of their competitors.

Q&As About Mazda Electric Car | Mazda MX-30 | Mazda UK (penultimate question on first page - they get asked so much that they've had to put it in the FAQ)

This is what really irritates me about it though... the MX30 is very good on a number of levels, but there are two counts here of mazda actively working against the car, putting time, effort and money into making it worse and I just don't get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excited about:
Mustang Mach E
- Ignoring debates over whether it's a "true mustang", it's a bit more interestingly styled than most CUVs and the reviews are generally very positive. Looks like a genuine Model Y competitor. Seems to be exciting and playful to drive (and thankfully the lack of a second gear should keep it out of ditches unlike other mustangs), with range, space, decent pricing.

EQA - yet another blobby small/medium CUV. However, the big excitement for me about it is what it will do to that segment of the market. Volvo will struggle to justify £10k+ extra for the XC40, and given an EQA or a kona for the same price the EQA must surely be a strong contender? I think the Kona is a great car, but if the EQA is the car that pushes Hyundai to lop £5k off the price of it then even better! I like what this will do to the market. Also see below about the UX300e...

Fiat 500 - cheeky EV convertible. Expansion of EVs into new market areas is great, and injecting that bit of fun, joie de vivre, etc into the market is even better.

MG E-motion - again, expanding EVs into wider market areas. A good looking 2-door coupe in the C-class/E-class coupe kind of size area, ~60kWh battery and if they can land it under £30k then another market-expanding option (plus a coupe with an MG badge is a bit more on-brand for MG). No idea if it's FWD or RWD, hoping the latter.

Not excited about:
Rivian R1S/R1T
- Nothing against them. I think they are really nicely engineered and will do a lot of shift parts of the market that might be more thoroughly ICE-entrenched. However, we're now more than 2 years past the "Launch" event and they're still not on sale. 2 years ago a $100k+ EV pickup seemed viable at the luxury/adventure market end of things, but the "competition" mantra applies. Now you've got Atlis XT, Lordstown Endurance and of course the Tesla Cybertruck coming to face the R1T head-on, all with much lower starting prices than the R1T. A real shame, but I feel like the boat is leaving and Rivian are frantically driving on the dock hoping to leap onto it as it departs. I suspect Rivian will get R1Ts out before Lordstown or Atlis, but is the price low enough? Will it be a halo car while Rivian make their money in vans and Lincolns?

Mazda MX30 - in principle I have no problem with the MX30. I get Mazda's angle on "smaller battery, better value" (having owned a Leaf 24), and it seems to be a broadly accomplished vehicle. No, there's one stupid little thing that totally destroys the MX30 for me - it's Mazda's dunderheaded refusal to even try to move away from ICEness, manifested in two specific ways in the MX30. The first is that they deliberately blunted its performance so as not to show up their ICE offerings too badly. The second is the "I can't believe it's not an ICE" noise - not an external pedestrian noise but an internal noise in the cabin. That kind of thing is fine in my opinion if you want it (and Porsche and Jag offer such), but there's a very key difference - in the mazda it can not be disabled! Nope.

Lexus UX300e - Seriously, 50kW Chademo in 2021? Not to mention EQA/Model 3SR+ money for a very small, very cramped little dressed up toyota CHR? The cynic in me wants to suggest it's a "false flag" operation to try to prove that "self charging" UX250h are better and sell more of those (and I say that as owner of a GS450h).

Fisker Ocean - believe it when I see it is the mantra for all things Fisker.

I thought the Lexus looked OK and when I saw the first reviews on it they mentioned it was available initially for lease only which suited me as I intend to lease my EV via work. But when I got the quote back for the EX300e it was stupidly expensive so instantly its been crossed off my list and is a useless option IMO.

The EQA seems a brilliant deal on paper, agree the styling isn't the most breathtaking but it is the one I am most intrigued about currently. I had forgotten about the Mach E which looks great. I did get a quote back for one recently and price-wise it came back good so its one I am keeping an eye on as an option for myself.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,415 Posts
Dacia spring electric.
As long as it's cheap and looks at least something like the press photos I reckon it will do well.
It seems to be smaller IRL than in press pics (Not my pic - found on the Renault reddit page)

The Ioniq 5 is due for launch next month (Hyundai have created Ioniq as their EV-specific sub-brand).

Concept pic from Wikipedia

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Another one that I forgot about that I really am excited about, but don't think it's going to be a 2021...

Lynk&Co Zero

Another Geely brand (alongside volvo and polestar), this is the first car built on their dedicated EV platform (aka SEA - goes along with SPA (Volvo T8 hybrids, Polestar 1) and CMA (XC40/Polestar 2) platforms). I love the shooting-brake form, the stance, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another one that I forgot about that I really am excited about, but don't think it's going to be a 2021...

Lynk&Co Zero

View attachment 140048

Another Geely brand (alongside volvo and polestar), this is the first car built on their dedicated EV platform (aka SEA - goes along with SPA (Volvo T8 hybrids, Polestar 1) and CMA (XC40/Polestar 2) platforms). I love the shooting-brake form, the stance, etc.
Had never seen/heard anything about this until seeing your post but I love the look of this.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well there's always the Nisan Ariya supposed to be scheduled for late this year.

John.

·
2quidforhalfanhour
383 Posts
These all look lovely and all, but they will inevitably be priced out of most people's budget.
That pic of the Dacia next to a Zoe does look worryingly small.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These all look lovely and all, but they will inevitably be priced out of most people's budget.
That pic of the Dacia next to a Zoe does look worryingly small.
A lot of the bigger EVs are expensive in general from what I have seen but most I have mentioned are at the lower end of the EV SUV market. Granted they are still expensive to buy but given the super low tax rate on EVs now even some of the mega-expensive cars should be affordable to a lot of people if leased etc.

For example, I got a quote for an EQC which was £460 a month including insurance and breakdown cover. Now I am not saying that is super cheap by any means, but I don't think that is too bad for a car that costs 65k

1 - 20 of 30 Posts