Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm visiting in Virginia in the US of A for thanksgiving and have had my eyes peeled for many Teslas on a 2 hour trip from the DC area..not a sausage...I could throw a stick and hit a Prius,but the first EV I saw since I got here was a golf cart..I did manage to spot an i3 on a BMW dealer forecourt,but am only counting those I see on the road! Watch this space...

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
You are seeing the regional differences in the US.

VA is one of the most anti-EV states in the US. Virginia charges EV owners a higher vehicle tax rate. They use to charge hybrids at the higher tax rate too, but changed the law earlier this year.

LOTS of EVs in Southern California and the Atlanta Metro area.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This explains much,thanks for that...I saw my first Leaf on a previous trip here,and was hoping for much EV uptake..ah,well,I can hope..

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
I saw 7 Tesla within 30 minutes of landing in LA in april :)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The mind boggles! The U.S. really is lots of different countries. Even less 'joined up' thinking than the UK by the sounds of it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't appear to be a result of a lack of EV infrastructure.. The charge map apps show a fair number of charging options in the region..and there's a Tesla supercharger across the river in Silver Spring,Md...

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
I was visiting Charlotte North Carolina at the beginning of the year. Saw a few Leafs but most people had no concept of EVs. Company car parks had plenty of power sockets. Only ever saw one leaf charging.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I think I saw a model S(grey) drive past while sat at the lights near UVA,then a little later after turning that direction,saw a leaf...on the scoreboard,anyway!
Hybrids aplenty around...I saw "partial zero emission technology" on the back of a SUV..wossat,then?:p
PS..saw another leaf today...going home tomorrow..:(
I spoke too soon..spotted a red model S heading south near Dulles airport on I28 as we were heading north yesterday after a preflight visit to the Udvar-Hazy Smithsonian Air museum..
Got through check in,security,rode the nifty (electric!) Subway train to the departure terminal,and discover from the board at the gate the flight had been cancelled- a tech issue,apparently, with no backup aircraft..now booked on the same flight tomorrow (1015pm), at least got a hotel overnight thrown in with another day of sightseeing options...The DC Metro train system opened phase 1 of the new "Silver" Line this year,the plan being for a later phase to directly connect with Dulles airport..I wanted to check out phase 1 which is now a 15 minute shuttle bus trip away..before the Silver line construction,it was something like a 40 minute shuttle trip to get on a train -I was impressed.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You are seeing the regional differences in the US.

VA is one of the most anti-EV states in the US. Virginia charges EV owners a higher vehicle tax rate. They use to charge hybrids at the higher tax rate too, but changed the law earlier this year.

LOTS of EVs in Southern California and the Atlanta Metro area.
Plenty of hybrids around,I noticed..Even hybrid Buses..

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
The mind boggles! The U.S. really is lots of different countries. Even less 'joined up' thinking than the UK by the sounds of it.
In many ways, moving from San Diego to Atlanta was more of a culture shock than moving to North Wales.

Hawaii felt like an English speaking foreign country. It is a bizarre mix of Japanese and American culture on top of something uniquely Hawaiian.

A hamburger patty and eggs over rice in a bowl? I suppose but

Spam Musubi ????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts