Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
I read it with disbelief as well I have priced up my next service at BMW and I am defo doing it myself as they are so expensive! At the garage we have a brake fluid tester and 2 year old fluid tests like new, I do wonder if a brake fluid change is just an earner? the rest is a pollen filter 2.3 litres of oil and an oil filter for the rex just short of 400 squids in truth I think 50 squids will cover it easily

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,589 Posts
What utter bollocks. Inside EVs site is usually better than this

Study: EVs Cost 1.6 Times More To Service Than ICEs The First Year

It seems they have lumped in initial repair costs for things going wrong with new cars. Or is it more FUD sponsored by the manufacturers and oil companies
Read the article and it explains all.

When they say ‘service’ they mean ‘fixing problems’. Which is different to standard servicing.

This is understandable as techs are less familiar with BEV related issues and there are more issues with new vehicles as the reliability issues are worked out.

Why this equates to more cost for the owner for a vehicle under warranty I’m not sure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Read the article and it explains all.

When they say ‘service’ they mean fixing problems’. Which is different to standard servicing.

This is understandable as techs are less familiar with BEV related issues and there are more issues with new vehicles as the reliability issues are worked out.

Why this equates to more cost for the owner for a vehicle under warranty I’m not sure.
Precisely, so these costs should be covered under the warranty... for 7 years if you have a Kia.

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
104 Posts
I read it with disbelief as well I have priced up my next service at BMW and I am defo doing it myself as they are so expensive! At the garage we have a brake fluid tester and 2 year old fluid tests like new, I do wonder if a brake fluid change is just an earner? the rest is a pollen filter 2.3 litres of oil and an oil filter for the rex just short of 400 squids in truth I think 50 squids will cover it easily
The general consumables on the i3 REx such as pollen filter, oil filter and oil as you say are straight-forward. The brake fluid change does help as it's hygroscopic and will absorb moisture over time so improves braking efficiency. Ours is 2015 and over 60k miles, so top mounts and shock absorber gaiters will be on your list if not already done. I also changed brake discs and pads all round staying with BMW for parts.

What I would agree with the report is that techs are taking 1.5 times longer to diagnose faults. That's becuase they follow a pretty strict protocol from BMW and their natural ability to fault find has gone out the window.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Servicing costs was one of the things that swayed me towards MG as a toe in the water EV. Kia want to charge
E Niro battery coolant at £300+ when scheduled!

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,300 Posts
Servicing costs was one of the things that swayed me towards MG as a toe in the water EV. Kia want to charge
E Niro battery coolant at £300+ when scheduled!
Yep. I've just checked the 3 year service contract I took out from the dealer at the time of purchase, and it's £230 for the first three (yearly/10k) services.

Bargain!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Servicing is cheap. Parts are generally more expensive. However there is far less to go wrong in an EV. The main systems should be very durable on most models.

The problem is with when something goes wrong out of warranty.

I have seen some horror stories on here parts cost wise with the I3 in particular, unexpected parts bill of £2k etc.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Did anyone actually read that report - it's not looking at the costs of a service, it's looking at how much it has cost the dealers/manufacturers to look after the car during it's initial years of ownership - and surprise surprise, as we all know, repairs on EVs are expensive - just because it doesn't cost the owner, it does cost the manufacturer when anything needs repairing.

I agree though, yet again a shoddy headline almost guaranteed to drive people who can't be bothered to read the whole story and then discount it, mad !

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,589 Posts
I agree though, yet again a shoddy headline almost guaranteed to drive people who can't be bothered to read the whole story and then discount it, mad !
I read it, and posted an accurate description.

But you have me on ‘ignore’, which is a slight irony. :p

·
Registered
377 Posts
As Jeffery Cooper says, it’s supposedly the costs to the dealers/manufacturers. However, it doesn’t come from them, it comes from a data-mining company. It’s not clear exactly what access they have to the data, though they claim they analysed several million vehicles over 3 months and 1 year.

What IS clear, if you have any experience of these things, is that this was a quick piece of work done to create a press release rather than for detailed research purposes. The methodology is a quick’n’dirty “add up the costs and divide by the number of vehicles” rather than any detailed investigation. Inside EVs has just pasted It in with a minimum of editing and little other input.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
When I had my Nissan LEAF, the service costs were only marginally cheaper than an ICE yet it involves less work. Still couldn't understand why.
The cost to the garage of the Oil, filter, spark plugs etc that aren't needed for an EV is very low (don't try & compare it to buying same items in a motor accessory store !). Time spent in the service bay is probably a bit less than for an ICEV but not hugely so and a fully trained EV technician (if garage actually use one for a simple service !) should be paid rather more than less qualified colleagues.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
The cost to the garage of the Oil, filter, spark plugs etc that aren't needed for an EV is very low (don't try & compare it to buying same items in a motor accessory store !). Time spent in the service bay is probably a bit less than for an ICEV but not hugely so and a fully trained EV technician (if garage actually use one for a simple service !) should be paid rather more than less qualified colleagues.
Modern ICE vehicles including mild hybrids have become so complicated, that investigating and resolving in warranty faults, are likely to be at least as long winded as those associated with any BEV.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,589 Posts
Modern ICE vehicles including mild hybrids have become so complicated, that investigating and resolving in warranty faults, are likely to be at least as long winded as those associated with any BEV.
Yep. Along with the highly complex emissions control systems require for Euro6.

This dirty little secret will drive most modern cars off the roads well before 10 years is up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts