Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq EV Premium 38.3kWh (Leaf 30 sold)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to consolidate the family vehicles into one EV (have a leaf and a people carrier) but the issue I have is that I have to transport a lot of bikes for my sons racing so need an EV that we can fit a tow bar. I already have a leaf but want an EV that can fit a family of five and that has the longer range around the 200 miles mark. Anyone got any ideas ? I thought the MG5 was a great proposition but it now seems the roof rails are for show and you can't fit a tow bar but the assumption is always that you would be towing and not just using a bike rack.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
644 Posts
In the UK you can order the towbar specific for bikes from the Netherlands for the Kia e-Niro.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Also Audi eTron & Mercedes EQC, if the caravan towing video posted earlier today is to believed!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Here are a couple of links as I am in the same boat. In our last ICE we used roof bars, but on a long journey, it kills efficiency, knocking off up to 10mpg on the motorway. So now we are 100% EV, we don't want to kill the range by having bars on the roof.

I have seen the following:

And this looks neat for a much lower cost:

\

Reactions: djsoftware

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,632 Posts
I asked the Department for Transport and VOSA what the legalities are around fitting a tow bar purely for fitting a bike rack, even on a vehicle not homologated for towing.

I posted it on this thread;

So, in theory any vehicle that can safely have a tow bar fitted can use it for carrying a bike rack, but not for towing obviously.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies - I have come across Brink before as they have created one for the Leaf but looks really neat on the video posted above on the eNiro. Looks like there are plenty of options and keen to find out more on the Id.4 and the
Skoda Enyaq but also did not realise the ID.3 could have a tow bar. Roof bars are an option but having the bikes behind the vehicle really helps the efficiency as I have to travel around the country for races.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Small point, ID.3 has a bike-rack bar, not a towbar. ID.4 can tow, I believe.

Reactions: njm106

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks - the ID.3 is becoming a contender as my local dealership has some great deals on some pre reg ones, just got to see how much it will costs to get a bike rack bar retro fitted as the pre reg ones are already at the dealerships. Both my bike racks are for 4 bikes but is the limit on the ID.3 the usual weight limit as 4 road bikes will easily be less than 50kg which I believe is the limit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts