Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a PHEV (Discovery Sport) and occasionally visit my brother who lives some distance away. Although the journey to him is covered by the EV range, the journey back is not. I was thinking of using an EVSE charger at his place to charge me up overnight, since I usually stay over.

I'm not entirely clear if this is recommended or not? Are EVSE chargers safe to use? I don't mind the fact they are slow.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
All AC charge points are EVSEs. The term stands or Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment, so anything that supplies AC power to a car charger, be that a fixed unit on a wall or post, that may deliver up to 32 A per phase, or a small unit, like a granny lead, that only delivers about 10 A, is an EVSE.

It seems that quite a few manufacturers are no longer supplying 10 A portable charge points with cars now, but they are available from several sources. Screwfix sell a reasonably good one, with genuine compliance markings (there are loads of fakes around) for a very reasonable price (bearing in mind that Renault want over £500 for one as an optional extra), like this unit for £140: Masterplug 10A 2.3kW Mode 2 Type 2 Socket Electric Vehicle Charging Cable 5m

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am using the 10A 'granny' EVSE until I get a home chargepoint installed. In theory, a standard 13A outlet should be more than up to the task but the sad fact is that a lot are not built to do it.

I would not leave this charging overnight.

What I do is plug in and monitor plug, socket and EVSE hardware temperature periodically with one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-DECKER-TLD100-Thermal-Detector/dp/B0044R87BE

Suggest first monitor at 30 minutes, then 45, then at hourly intervals.

I find my temps get rapidly to above 30 degrees C, then climb gradually to around 38. If they go significantly over 40, I unplug.

Kind regards
- Garry

P.S. Any sign of discolouration around socket, or anything else that looks less than A1, and I wouldn't use it at all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Screwfix one looks good plus you can get in 5m and 10m. Just make sure you use it in a nice new socket and avoid extension leads.
I've given up with getting my EVSE installed because my DNO would not come back to my installer despite repeated requests to do so. Perhaps they are not set up for the rapidly increasing workload.

I've bought a Screwfix granny charger which is brilliant and easily keeps up with the charging I need. I tried it directly into a replaced socket and it barely got warm. I expected that. I then tried it on my heavy duty 13A extension lead (fully unwound) and noticed that the extension lead plug got warm. Not hot, just warm. I took the top off the plug and out fell a little screw. The screw on the live pin securing the conductor!

I reterminated the lead in the plug, cleaned up the fuse and the mating surfaces and cleaned up the pins. Trying the plug again it wasn't even warm after a one hour test. Probably best not to use extension leads and only if they are new or have been thoroughly checked and only when you can monitor them at regular intervals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine was a £300 manufacturer option. I use it a lot even though I have a 7kw wall box at home.

Just back from a week in a Lake District holiday cottage so was great to charge up overnight. Was a modern (expensive) cottage with new wiring / fuse box so all good there. I use a heavy duty 10M outdoor exptension cable and as long as fully wound out not had any problem with overheating. I agree about not leaving overnight for safety though but I wouldn't leave a tumble dryer on overnight either.

A also use it at my office as I havn't bothered to get a second wallbox there and just use it occasionaly when I need to top up.

The screwfix option sounds good and it will easily repay the £150 you in saved fuel if you try and run as much EV as possible as I do. One extra mile on EV is one less polluting your locality :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts