Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I've got Peugeot iOn recently which is actually the same Mitsubishi i-miev. The car the came with type 2 to type 1 cable only, so because I was able to survive just charging in public locations I even didn't think about EVSE. This weekend we are going from Yorkshire to Cornwall and then I thought EVSE would be very handy, so I've got one from nuWorld with 6a and 10a settings. But when I'm connecting it, I need to chose one of options, either 6a either 10a within 30 seconds and then charging suppose to start. The light on the dashboard indicates that EVSE is connected (blinking), the fan starts to spin maybe for 5 seconds and then it stops, nothing happening. The EVSE doesn't indicate "faulty" led and it looks like it's waiting for the car request to start charging, at that point dashboard shows nothing already. I have no possibility to check the car with the other EVSE as nobody else is owning EV in the surroundings. The public charging stations works fine, either 16 either 32a, just charging on 16a because of limited internal charger. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
The fan on the car doesn't run for very long on the type 1 cable.

How long have you left it plugged in? Did you get a green 'charging' light on the EVSE?

You should be able to see a red indicator on the 'fuel gauge' which shows that the battery is charging and the 16 segments should gradually light up.

Also check your electricity meter. The charger should be drawing approx. 2 kW so your meter reading should increase at that sort of rate.

Also, the iMiEV models have a 'dropout' in charging at a random point in the cycle. It freaked me out but checking on the iMiEV forum it's normal.

See below, I started charging at 21.45 and there's a 'dropout' for about 15 minutes between 22.15 and 22.30.
upload_2014-9-16_11-50-37.png

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've left it just for a few minutes and the charging symbol on the dash doesn't light up. The EVSE doesn't show any of faults or charging. Well, I'll try to connect as you've said now, I have spare 45mins before going to work.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, I had Aixam connected in the same socket, it was drawing 10a at its max and everything was ok. I was trying to plug EVSE in the few locations and I was getting same, so I don't believe that it's ground issue.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Probably best to check with nuWorld direct – they should have tested their product on iMiEV and can advise.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both, either Peugeot iOn either mitsubishi i-miev were in the list...
Connected now and it's just gave me setting to choose, I chose 10a and just like that now as in the picture "ready" mode.. IMG_20140916_120333.jpg

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in Scunthorpe, but in the morning I can come 100 miles from it to somebody, I'm in afternoon shift this week so I would need to come back before 1pm

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Just a thought – what order are you doing this in?

When I got my wall charger, I found that the charge didn't start unless the wall unit was powered up before I plugged the cable into the car. The car looks for a current and if it doesn't see one it goes dormant.

So, unless the instructions say otherwise, try plugging in and powering up the EVSE before you connect it to your car.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just checked EV ECU's for the faults - none found... at least clear that everything is ok with the Peugeot.. waiting for an answer from the nuWorld..

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I went to Chesterfield to exchange the EVSE because of lack of time before journey. The @nuWorld Energy was very friendly and we had a nice chat. The car is on charge over the night, first time batteries to be equalised :) thanks @nuWorld Energy!
And thanks for the other replies:)

P.s. The guess why EVSE didn't work properly with iOn - something to do with charging protocol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts