Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to have the 12V battery replaced in my 30 kWh Tekna (after less than a year, so it should be a warranty item, yet my dealer asked for a deposit). When I brought the car to them, they told me there was a recall for the EVSE cable, but they also said they could not replace it right away because they did not have it on stock.

Does anyone know anything about such a recall? What is wrong with the EVSE, is there any danger? I have never used it too much but I remember I did test it once, and it worked.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,655 Posts
I had to have the 12V battery replaced in my 30 kWh Tekna (after less than a year, so it should be a warranty item, yet my dealer asked for a deposit). When I brought the car to them, they told me there was a recall for the EVSE cable, but they also said they could not replace it right away because they did not have it on stock.

Does anyone know anything about such a recall? What is wrong with the EVSE, is there any danger? I have never used it too much but I remember I did test it once, and it worked.
We probably need more details - what is the age of your car? I haven't seen or heard anything about my 2016 car.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't know about any EVSE recall, but if you call Nissan customer services they can tell you if there are any outstanding recall's on your vehicle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car is about 11 months old, I got it in April 2016, and I believe it was built in Sunderland in March 2016.

My 12V battery turned out to be defective, it did not pass their test, so in the end they replaced it free of charge (I got my deposit back, but that would be another story, I may write about it in a different thread if you are interested.) As for the EVSE, they said that it had been ordered and that they would replace it as soon as possible, I just need to be patient and wait. Interestingly, until then they will keep my Leaf service book - they let me drive away but they refused to give the book back to me.

When they have the new EVSE cable, I will not even have to come back with the car, they said I would only have to bring the cable in its original bag. That sounds good, I am just wondering what the actual problem could be - they did not reveal anything, perhaps they do not really know themselves.

·
2,655 Posts
My car is about 11 months old, I got it in April 2016, and I believe it was built in Sunderland in March 2016.

My 12V battery turned out to be defective, it did not pass their test, so in the end they replaced it free of charge (I got my deposit back, but that would be another story, I may write about it in a different thread if you are interested.) As for the EVSE, they said that it had been ordered and that they would replace it as soon as possible, I just need to be patient and wait. Interestingly, until then they will keep my Leaf service book - they let me drive away but they refused to give the book back to me.

When they have the new EVSE cable, I will not even have to come back with the car, they said I would only have to bring the cable in its original bag. That sounds good, I am just wondering what the actual problem could be - they did not reveal anything, perhaps they do not really know themselves.
Pretty much exactly the same time as my car then.

Fascinating! I haven't heard anything, might give Nissan a call as I use the EVSE fairly frequently. My dealer didn't mention it to me when it was in earlier this week for some warranty work...

·
Registered
348 Posts
If a recall was issued for the EVSE wouldn't it be on the VOSA website? (It's not by the way) Technically it's part of the car, even if not everyone uses it, so it should be included?

·
2,655 Posts
If a recall was issued for the EVSE wouldn't it be on the VOSA website? (It's not by the way) Technically it's part of the car, even if not everyone uses it, so it should be included?
Would it technically count as an accessory? Either way I'd expect Nissan to put a bit more effort into finding the people who have them...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I got the replacement EVSE. I have not tested it yet, but the dealer says it will charge my car faster than the original EVSE. I doubt that, as the new cable looks exactly the same as the old one.

With the new cable I finally got my service book back, too. Although Nissan customer services said that the dealer did not have the right to keep my book, I failed to persuade the dealer to comply with the verdict. I did not feel like arguing with them, and of course all is well that ends well, but next time I think I will go to a different dealer.

The thing that annoyed me the most was to hear from the dealer how bad a car the Leaf is. The person who said so did not seem to know much about it; at first when I gave him the keys he did not even know how to open the door and check the odometer.

It was the first year service, so I expected them to check the main battery and give me a diagnostic report (state of health, etc.), but I got no feedback at all. Did you guys get this kind of information from your dealers after the first year?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts