Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Kia eNiro 4+, White
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a hypothetical inquiry - I have a Zappi inside my garage, and park the car in the garage - so no issues.
However - reading this forum there are a number of people in houses that will need to put their EVSE on an external wall, or even a remote wall on the other side of the garden next to the car parking place.

The original Chargemaster came with a set of keys with which you could lock the EVSE and prevent anyone else just plugging in whilst you are out. I am not convinced just how effective they would be in the face of a determined attack
My Zappi seems to have no such ability (not that its an issue) that I recall.

So whats to stop some scrote packing in your space during the day and leeching your electricity away whilst you are your OH are away?
Conversely should you want to take part in one of these "share your EVSE" schemes, assuming you live somewhere suitable how would you enable this?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Has anyone ever seen this happen?
Would it be worth for a pound an hour's worth of electricity?
I'd be much more worried about theft of thethered cables for the copper, or even EVSEs themselves.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,597 Posts
Generally speaking this probably isn’t that much of an issue because to get any meaningful amount of charge takes quite some time. It’s not like you can take 30kW in a few minutes. Unless you live next to where someone works, and you’re guaranteed out all day, who’s going to chance that? More likely that person might approach you and ask about an arrangement.

However I am concerned about this because we’re lucky enough to have two properties and really want a charge point at the second house. We’re away from there far more often and this year, well… it’s been about a year. The option there is hopefully going to be a lockable commando socket and an ohme cable.

Some units have a pin, others can be disabled from the app (I’d need convincing that was reliable). Projectev have, or had, a model with an rfid card reader to restrict access.

I do wonder if a simple lockable cover for the type2 plug might be enough.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Creak e SE Nav
54 Posts
My concern wouldn’t be the theft of electric but the theft of the cables, and the actual charger.
It’s quite a few hundred quids worth of equipment just screwed to a wall, for all to see. The cost of copper is quite high as well, so the temptation is greater.
I had my charger placed as far away as possible from the road on my drive (in clear view of the cctv), untethered and the main power cable run around the back of the house (longer more awkward run), to limit any light fingered twit thieving it all.
I’d rather be proactive than reactive.

·
Registered
BMW i3 60ah bev, solar orange
44 Posts
My Ohme has a software lock built in the app so it won't work outside any specified hours, would imagine other home chargers have similar.
Again, I'm more concerned about getting home and finding the cables been lopped off.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Has anyone ever seen this happen?
Not to me, but I have a neighbour further up my street who leaves their granny cable hanging from their fence that backs on to car parking. A home improvement company doing work on another house saw this cable and plugged their electric van in 3 days in a row to get free electricity before finally getting caught.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
So the "theft" of around £5 - not huge.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 2021 38.3kWh
34 Posts
Look, absolutely nobody is going to park outside anyone’s house and charge their car. It just isn’t going to happen - if anyone is really scared or something like that happening they can flip the breaker on their consumer unit to kill the power.

What’s more likely is cables getting stolen, which is why I went tethered (among other reasons)

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
993 Posts
If you’re really concerned a few quid on cctv would catch anyone with balls enough to try it.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 2021 38.3kWh
34 Posts
If you’re really concerned a few quid on cctv would catch anyone with balls enough to try it.
For the cost of half decent cctv I could charge my car for 10k miles!

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is a hypothetical inquiry - I have a Zappi inside my garage, and park the car in the garage - so no issues.
However - reading this forum there are a number of people in houses that will need to put their EVSE on an external wall, or even a remote wall on the other side of the garden next to the car parking place.

The original Chargemaster came with a set of keys with which you could lock the EVSE and prevent anyone else just plugging in whilst you are out. I am not convinced just how effective they would be in the face of a determined attack
My Zappi seems to have no such ability (not that its an issue) that I recall.

So whats to stop some scrote packing in your space during the day and leeching your electricity away whilst you are your OH are away?
Conversely should you want to take part in one of these "share your EVSE" schemes, assuming you live somewhere suitable how would you enable this?
This is a favourite from EV Man about stealing electricity

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Look, absolutely nobody is going to park outside anyone’s house and charge their car. It just isn’t going to happen - if anyone is really scared or something like that happening they can flip the breaker on their consumer unit to kill the power.
It will happen, 100%.

If you live near a school, you'll know how people will actually park in your driveway because they've seen it empty a few times and assume you'll never be there at end of school day.

But whether it's worth investing in security that inconveniences yourself? Absolutely not. If you're concerned about someone doing it whilst your on holiday, as above, isolate internally.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Just buy or construct a box over the charging unit. What can't be seen won't get a second glance from the wrong people. It also keeps driving rain off it too. I think someone on here bought one of the GRP meter boxes and mounted the charger in that. Very stealthy, as who would examine a meter box on a house wall!?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts