Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 7 years old Peugeot iOn drive for almost 1 year now. Recently it occasionally started to show "Exclamation on car" warning light.

Manual for this warning says: "Fault in the main electrical circuit. You must stop as soon as it is safe to do so. Have it checked by a PEUGEOT dealer or a qualified workshop."
Usually it happens when remaining SOC for battery is ~20% (2 bars out of 16 for battery gauge) and disappears after short charging up or if car is switched out for few minutes. I have OBD Link LX adapter and caniOn Android app, but I couldn't find anything abnormal with it, except maybe larger than usual voltage difference between best and worst of batteries.
Does anybody knows what could be actual reason for this warning and what should I do?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Its just the equivalent of a yellow check engine light on an ICE car. And since it is only yellow not red, and it isn't on all the time I wouldn't actually worry about it too much. Unless it starts to get worse, or causes problems with driving, I wouldn't even bother taking it for anybody to even look at unless you had a VERY impressive warranty that still covered you today.

These warnings get triggered by the smallest of things and often of no real importance. I wouldn't be surprised if, given the information you have provided, it was the fact that one of the cells was at a very low, out of tolerance voltage when at a low SOC. Unless you were wanting to replace your battery pack, or at least have somebody work on it to replace specific bad cells there isn't much you can do about that anyways, assuming this is the issue.

It may not be possible for you to do, but could you possibly go a couple of days without letting the SOC go below about 50%? Get a few charges in and work just between 100% and around 50% and see if you get the light. If you don't see the light by keeping the charge levels up I would be inclined to stick with my initial theory and not worry at all.

These cars are actually pretty damn resilient and I really doubt there is anything major especially if it is still driving and charging just fine.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Check your 12v battery is good. They should really be replaced every 3-4 years.

If you keep having issues it is worth getting the Canion App on an andriod phone, you need a bluetooth dongle but it lets you check if the batteries are good.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have ODBLink LX with caniOn, but I didn't see anything bad. 12V battery is good and is manufactured in 2017. Because it was summer time, when batteries were hotter, maybe it warned because weakest cell had bigger voltage difference than other cells, or because temperature range was big between cells. Also it could be related to the temperature of converter. I haven't seen this warnings any more, therefore I'll leave it for now and will notify if I'll get some new information.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have ODBLink LX with caniOn, but I didn't see anything bad.
Main thing to check is with the car at 20% ish charge check what the difference is between min and max cell voltages. If you go to the screen where you can see individual battery voltages you will see this. If some cells are low it could indicate that they need replacing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
All sorts of things cause that warning on cars these days. I think they're getting too complicated for their own good. My LEAF runs happily for months without a single warning until I try to use a timer on a charge point. Having the charge terminated before it's ready brings up a plethora of errors on the LEAF which prevent it being driven till it's reset by a scan tool or by simply switching the car off and back on again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts