Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so they're just snaps with an iPhone and VW UK will have some cracking shots to follow soon I'm sure – but as the car was in the neighbourhood and my house was being used as a backdrop, it seemed only fair!

Opinions from what I saw and heard? An absolutely cracking addition to the EV family. Really nice car indeed and I'd love to spend more time with one in the future.

2014-07-17 11.08.27.jpg

2014-07-17 11.16.34.jpg

2014-07-17 11.25.06.jpg

2014-07-17 11.25.51 HDR-Edit.jpg

2014-07-17 11.24.40.jpg

·
Registered
621 Posts
Looks really nice. Just a good old Golf... No silly gimmicky designs. Hope it does really well. Any idea on battery, charging and other specs yet?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks really nice. Just a good old Golf... No silly gimmicky designs. Hope it does really well. Any idea on battery, charging and other specs yet?
Type-2 plug, I saw in the boot and it had an EVSE and a type-2 to type-2 cable. Sadly no "charging" shots at the house due to tethered type-1 cable. Must get a new charger before the next e-Car comes out!

Photographer said that with two-up and camera gear in the boot he got about 100 miles out of it yesterday, had a few miles left on that too, which seems impressive.

Works like a normal car all things considered, electronic parking brake I noticed, fairly traditional auto-type lever with (I think) P N D/B and R options (I think). As you say it looks like a Golf both inside and out, which to me is a good thing.

Boot was big enough for a considerable load of camera gear.

Really like the wheels a lot.

Not sure on the price premium but if they cost the same as a LEAF I'd seriously be tempted to go e-Golf instead.

Slightly confused about this though as I thought VW were using CCS and I'm sure (although I only got a glimpse) this car had a type-2 socket, without the extra CCS embellishments? Could be very wrong though so don't hang too much on that little nugget.

More info from VW here: http://emobility.volkswagen.com/int/en/private/cars/eGolf.html

·
Registered
621 Posts
Awesome that sounds good. Very sensible range as well :)
Could CCS be an additional option like with the i3? Perhaps that was the standard charging option.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Perhaps for some people that may be the impression. However I think the current bias is towards slightly weird looking EVs to make a statement... To have the option of a normal looking car from a reputable manufacturer is a good option for the public I think

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Type-2 plug, I saw in the boot and it had an EVSE and a type-2 to type-2 cable. Sadly no "charging" shots at the house due to tethered type-1 cable. Must get a new charger before the next e-Car comes out!

Slightly confused about this though as I thought VW were using CCS and I'm sure (although I only got a glimpse) this car had a type-2 socket, without the extra CCS embellishments? Could be very wrong though so don't hang too much on that little nugget.

More info from VW here: http://emobility.volkswagen.com/int/en/private/cars/eGolf.html
There are full details on the VW website now, including the price: £25,845 (after PICG).

It does use CCS as shown in the details on the website.

The CCS System
The CCS (Combined Charging System) provides a charging cable with two different plugs: one to charge from a domestic mains socket, charging station or wall box using AC (Alternating Current); the other for fast charging at a public charging station using DC (Direct Current)

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/e-golf-vii/explore

Perhaps for some people that may be the impression. However I think the current bias is towards slightly weird looking EVs to make a statement... To have the option of a normal looking car from a reputable manufacturer is a good option for the public I think
I recall that argument being used for why the Tesla Model S is a relatively normal saloon style (although it is a hatchback) to make it appeal to traditional buyers of BMW 5 series, Merc E Class etc.

Derek

Reactions: Cara Naden and Paul

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Reactions: Cara Naden and Paul

·
1,324 Posts

From the Volkswagen website

·
1,324 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,714 Posts
It has CCS rapid DC charging but apparently only has 3.6kW AC charging.

BIG omission at this price range. Renault, Nissan and BMW offer 7kW AC. (Standard on the i3 and Zoe, optional on Leaf)

We make good use of the 6.6kW charger on our Leaf. We need the faster rate about once a month. Our daily commute uses about 1/2 of the battery. If we want to go back out after work we need the faster rate.

That could change once CCS rapids come to North Wales.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It has CCS rapid DC charging but apparently only has 3.6kW AC charging.

BIG omission at this price range. Renault, Nissan and BMW offer 7kW AC. (Standard on the i3 and Zoe, optional on Leaf)

We make good use of the 6.6kW charger on our Leaf. We need the faster rate about once a month. Our daily commute uses about 1/2 of the battery. If we want to go back out after work we need the faster rate.

That could change once CCS rapids come to North Wales.

Agree with this, I've had to use it a few times as a fall back (and have it at home) and it can really make a big difference when there's no rapids available.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Looks great, but a Golf with only 118 mile range is a bit of a hard sell IMO - Golf is usually a main car whereas Leaf and eUp can be second cars.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have owned one VW in the past and for a year my wife had a VW Beetle (most recent type) and until the Beetle I was never a "VW man" by any means, but the Beetle was very impressive.

The Golf reflected this, seemed extremely well put together, the interior was a nice place to be and the dials and such seemed much more like a conventional car. This could be seen as either a pro or con, and I don't know how it would translate in usage (not sure what dials show what information) but to me it "felt right".

The wheels are great, and the lights are pretty cool too.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I recall Robert Llewellyn on "Fully Charged" testing one out at a launch event in Berlin..He's been through the Golf Range over the years,I wonder would he swap the Leaf for an E-Golf...?

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
I recall Robert Llewellyn on "Fully Charged" testing one out at a launch event in Berlin..He's been through the Golf Range over the years,I wonder would he swap the Leaf for an E-Golf...?
I'm sure if VW were paying he would:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts