Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Exeter in a few weeks time so I'm dead chuffed about the new charge points being installed.

Any idea who is operating these? Not sure if I need to add a new rfid card to my collection.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Does anyone know the current state of charging points in Exeter? I'm going to be passing through with a couple of nights stop in an hotel near one of the car parks (Magdalen Street) that is supposed to have had a charging point installed 21st April. Is there a charge point in that car park and if so do I need a smartcard (or the non-existent Polar app?)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are supposed to be live now but I don't know what if any cards are needed.

I went to Exeter/Exmouth for a long weekend and only used the ecotricity charger there. I arrived on a 40% charge and only needed two charges the whole time I was there and one of them was for the trip home. It's a small place and you rarely get above 20mph so dead good for EVs

The is also a Nissan rapid charger in town.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
It seems they are Pod-Point which means I have to decide whether to risk ordering a card today and maybe not have it arrive by Monday.
Dear Duncan

Thank you for your email regarding the EV Chargepoints recently installed by Exeter CC. I can confirm all but one of our chargers have been fitted, including Magdalen Road but with the exception of Cathedral and Quay Car Park. The chargers are manufactured by PodPoint and a card is required to access the facility. This can be purchased at http://pod-point.myshopify.com There is no fee for charging.

We are currently putting together a web page for EV Charging but in the meantime the chargers are listed individually on the Car Park information web pages.

I hope you will be able to make use of our charging facilities.

Kind regards

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Does anyone here actually use Pod-Point? Their website says you can use a mobile phone to access their points. Does that work?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Looking at this further, the plot thickens. The charge points are supposedly at:
• John Lewis Car Park (from 28 March)

• Guildhall Car Park (from 28 March)

• Mary Arches Car Park (from 28 March)

• Oakwood House office (from 28 March - fleet and staff only)

• Matford Park and Ride (by 21 April)

• Civic Centre (by 21 April)

• Cathedral and Quay Car Park (by 21 April)

• Magdalen Street Car Park (by 21 April)
Exeter council told me:
I can confirm all but one of our chargers have been fitted, including Magdalen Road but with the exception of Cathedral and Quay Car Park.
Pod-Point's live availability map shows John Lewis, Guildhall, and [the apparently non-existent] Cathedral and Quay Car Park as being available, but doesn't show any of the others.
As it stands I'm not confident enough that the one I want to use exists, or that I could get a card in time. If I turn up and find the post does exist I might see if I can get access by phoning them up, but so far pod-point haven't responded to the email I sent them asking about their PAYG by mobile phone option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used Mary Arches myself last week. one space ICEd, other fine: Level B.
I have used John Lewis several times. Chargers on Level B.
Will check Guildhall tomorrow (it's next door almost to Mary Arches).

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I used Mary Arches myself last week. one space ICEd, other fine: Level B.
I have used John Lewis several times. Chargers on Level B.
Will check Guildhall tomorrow (it's next door almost to Mary Arches).
That's useful, so Pod-point's map is wrong rather than the council.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I got confirmation from Pod-Point. I would need a card and they take 5 days to arrive, but the Magdalen Street point won't be commissioned for another week which is why it isn't showing on the map yet.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
The Magdalen Steet car park appears to be fully operational, but it has two 22kW sockets. Can anyone confirm whether they should work with a Volt which wants a 3.3kW single phase trickle? Also and unexpectedly, they appear to respond to my Ecotricity card. Yay for interoperability! Not only that but they are clearly marked with the spaces painted green and a big sign advertising BMW.

I haven't yet tried charging because I'm in one of the hotel's 5 parking spaces and when I move I almost certainly won't get back in so I'm waiting until the pay and display becomes free after 6pm and at worst have to pay for tomorrow morning.

Reactions: Gonville

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
The Magdalen Steet car park appears to be fully operational, but it has two 22kW sockets. Can anyone confirm whether they should work with a Volt which wants a 3.3kW single phase trickle?
22kW charging stations should support power levels as low as 1.3kW (6A single phase).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts