Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those BEVs that use flooded lead acid batteries ( vast majority), is an EXIDE EFB battery the ideal battery.

Things to consider, a lot of battery drain with the car switched off due to keyless entry and remote monitoring: the EFB allows good cyclic life from partial discharge state, a faster charge acceptance.

No real downsides other than a small price premium

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts
For those BEVs that use flooded lead acid batteries ( vast majority), is an EXIDE EFB battery the ideal battery.

Things to consider, a lot of battery drain with the car switched off due to keyless entry and remote monitoring: the EFB allows good cyclic life from partial discharge state, a faster charge acceptance.

No real downsides other than a small price premium
First I’d heard of EFB batteries, but just looked on the Varta website and as you say, they seem ideally suited to the work a BEV 12v battery is expected to do.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Not heard of these before, reading they appear to be improved standard lead Acid units but are not suitable for use inside the cabin unlike AGM.
This probably won't effect many cars but the Ampera/Volt requires a 12v unit rated for in cabin use as its under the boot floor. This is normally an AGM though there is a Bosch standard type rated for cabin use.
The Ampera does not look after its AGM battery well :( always interested in alternatives.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maxwell 12V ultracapacitor. Probably not a good idea tbh. They are generally used to replace the start battery in a dual battery setup.
Not really, Exide have had them fitted as primary battery since 2004, have really come into their own as primary/ sole battery for mild hybrids, which involves a lot of charge in and out. I am not convinced that other battery manufacturers match Exide's technology. I've fitted one of these to an old diesel 5 years ago, it only gets fired up every few months and only needs two hours on the CTEK to get back to full charge, so low self discharge just like an AGM. Agree no good for Ampera nor any other unusual case with battery inside passenger compartment.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
Given that there is no need to crank over an ICE to start it, I'd have thought batteries with a 'leisure' discharge profile would be better suited than a traditional 'starter' battery of whatever type. That said, that actually may be what's fitted, EV is still very new to me :unsure:

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Maxwell 12V ultracapacitor. Probably not a good idea tbh. They are generally used to replace the start battery in a dual battery setup.
Bit pricy, I'll change the AGM every 3-4 years which seems to keep the gremlins at bay. The AMP uses the traction battery and MG1 to start the ICE, a ridiculously powerful starter motor, btw. I think it frightens the ICE into starting) :)

Reactions: DomJ

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
Given that there is no need to crank over an ICE to start it, I'd have thought batteries with a 'leisure' discharge profile would be better suited than a traditional 'starter' battery of whatever type. That said, that actually may be what's fitted, EV is still very new to me :unsure:
The i3 uses a very small "auxillary" lead acid battery. The REx is started from the traction battery.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back on track to Exide EFB, I really can't see any downsides rather than a very modest pricing premium, for BEV other than i3 REX or Ampera. Yuasa seem to have placed an enormous price increase on their EFBs hence why this post is specifically on the EXIDE offerings, eg EL600.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back on track to Exide EFB, I really can't see any downsides rather than a very modest pricing premium, for BEV other than i3 REX or Ampera. Yuasa seem to have placed an enormous price increase on their EFBs hence why this post is specifically on the EXIDE offerings, eg EL600.
Here's an example retail offering

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,339 Posts
As far as i know you dont need a stop start battery on a Full Electric car
I replaced my Non stop start battery shown in the youtube video at the bottom of this page

As long as the size and Capacity & CCA , AH are the same as in the EV you have all should be good
You can use a AGM battery but they cost a bit more.

The one below has a Guarantee for 5 Years

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
As far as i know you dont need a stop start battery on a Full Electric car
I replaced my Non stop start battery shown in the youtube video at the bottom of this page

As long as the size and Capacity & CCA , AH are the same as in the EV you have all should be good
You can use a AGM battery but they cost a bit more.

The one below has a Guarantee for 5 Years

View attachment 139449

Correct, you don't require stop/start facility for the aux battery on an EV.
However the AGM & EFB (gel) have other advantages that make them better suited than traditional flooded batteries.
They withstand deeper discharge, have lower self-discharge rates and withstand greater number of charge cycles.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Correct, you don't require stop/start facility for the aux battery on an EV.
However the AGM & EFB (gel) have other advantages that make them better suited than traditional flooded batteries.
They withstand deeper discharge, have lower self-discharge rates and withstand greater number of charge cycles.
Duh, those are exactly the advantages that an EFB offers BEVs without the cost and other disadvantages of AGMs, Gel etc.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
Thanks. You do know that EFB stands for Enhanced FLOODED battery which means by definition it can't be GEL.
Good point! In fact the Exide EFB are more like AGM from reading their marketing material.
All of these newer lead acid batteries seem better suited to our cars than the traditional flooded batteries they come equipped with

1 - 20 of 28 Posts