Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at parking at the port of Southampton at some point next year to take a cruise. Having called both the parking services I am aware of I find that there are no plans in place to provide a service to plug in any electric car.

Perhaps the members of this forum that are in a position to influence what happens may like to contact the relevant people and see what can be done. The response I got was "This is the first enquiry and we have no plans".

From what I understand ALL the parking is on land owned by Associated British Ports (ABP) which also handle some of the parking. The other organisation is Cruise and Passenger Services which seem to use land owned by ABP.

Given the phone calls I just had I am not sure they took the question seriously.

The reason these two organisations are the ones I am interested in is that they make life very convenient and part of the deal for the cruise is free parking which is (on occasions) worth having/looking into.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
This is an interesting one Ray. Like airports there is a good argument in favour of not providing slow charging at these locations unless there are lots of them.

Let's say that I go on a 1 or 2 week cruise, or go on a flyaway holiday for a week or two, what will I do to charge the car? If there were slow charging I could plug in at the start of the trip but it would charge inside 6 hours and then stay plugged in, occupying a charging station, until I return. Clearly that is not going to be acceptable unless all car park locations, or at least many of them, have charging.

I am sure it will happen eventually but until the ports and airports install many charging points in each parking location I can't really see it working without lots of people being very disappointed because the charge stations are all occupied by cars that are already charged and awaiting their owners' return.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, but where do we go with the battery on the Ampera where it is supposed to be "managed" for temperature (hot & cold). If unplugged in and it gets very hot or very cold while one is away how would that stand for the warranty?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The warranty is not dependent on it always being plugged in. In fact, I would expect most Ampera and Volts not to be plugged in all the time. Mine is only plugged in overnight usually and unplugged in the day. I think that will be the norm with most.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what will happen if the battery is, according to the dealer/Vauxhall, "damaged" due to excessive high/low temperatures? That could be an interesting conversation. I wonder if any Volt owners in the US have had any experience?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Yes, that would be interesting but I use the 'what is reasonable' test... is it reasonable to expect people to always be able to plug in when they leave the car? I say no so I would expect any legal challenge to find that too. (don't take this as legal advice :) )

It would be interesting to see them try to prove that it was the heat or child that damaged the battery especially as heat and cold is much more likely to just reduce range a bit than to actually damage the battery.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
I think there is a good case for slow charging at long stay car parks. Even when using them for a day, it's far cheaper than the short stay at LHR or LGW. At LAX there are dozens of such spaces.

Obviously it would take more spaces to be equipped than a shorter stay location, but it's still early days so let's walk before we run.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have to say that I totally agree with Kevin on this point.

Simple 13A socket charging stations are cheap enough (as Kevin says, about £100 plus installation) to be installed at a sensible cost on potentially every parking bay in a car park. Why not? It would be paid for through the normal parking charges so there is never any need for complex, smart card or back office systems. If they want to monitor use and consumption then either individual or combined kWh meters can be used. They could even make them wifi readable if they wanted something more than just a simple "eyeball" read system.

A good example of this kind of charging is where I parked and charged just 2 days ago... Cabot Circus Shopping Centre, Bristol. They have 6 EV charging bays at the moment which is probably enough for now but they could very easily and cheaply add more as EVs become more popular. They do not charge extra for charging but charge normal parking rates at about £1 per hour. I think this is a perfect scenario... cheap, simple, 13A sockets (although they would be better if they were 32A type 2 but that will come I am sure when demand increases), dedicated bays that are enforced, and sensible pricing. I charged there for 4 hours, got about 40 miles of electricity for about the same price as if I had been using petrol, I save on the petrol used and I got effectively free parking!

I would like to make this point though because I think it is important to recognise that this kind of simple, dumb socket, charging is not for everywhere. It is perfect for charging locations such as car parks, hotels, B&Bs, leisure locations etc, where access to the charge station is controlled and where there is some other service or product is being paid for by the driver already. However, there is a place for public, unattended, charging stations such a posts on the street, 24hr access, unattended parking locations etc where more complex access control and use management is clearly necessary and in locations such as these simple, dumb sockets are not suitable.

Pulling this back to your port/airport scenario Ray... IMO there could be a good argument for simple sockets at long stay so that every bay, or at least lots of bays, have access to EV charging while parked. They could even charge a bit extra on the parking to cover the cost of providing this facility. If it were a reasonable price I am sure we would all be happy to pay a bit more.

It will take a change of mindset of the management of these facilities and an increase in demand before anything as organised as that happens though but I am certain it will happen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You are correct it has happened!

I just got a reply from Cruise and Passenger Services of Southampton to say that they offer a recharging service for cars left with them by cruise passengers. You need to take all your charging cables, and I guess it will be the granny charger that they will be using.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Wow. Only took 3 1/2 years - must be a record thread revival.
Gave me quite a shock to see @kevinsharpe again.
You are correct it has happened!

I just got a reply from Cruise and Passenger Services of Southampton to say that they offer a recharging service for cars left with them by cruise passengers. You need to take all your charging cables, and I guess it will be the granny charger that they will be using.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts